View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dangerous center stand 2003 Zuma 
Newb
Newb

Post Dangerous center stand 2003 Zuma
I have a problem with the center stand on my 2003 Zuma. On the bottom of the engine there is a sleeve that holds the 4 inch pivoting bolt for the stand . The sleeve is broken . Only 50 per cent of it remains. So the sleeve no longer holds the stand straight. it's very dangerous. The trouble is the sleeve is a casting, and part of the engine. Also, there is absolutely no other place to attach ANYTHING to the bottom of the engine. So I can't even use a bolt on side kick stand.
Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance.

Tom

Attachments:
IMG_3996.JPG
IMG_3996.JPG [ 874.88 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:29 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Post Re: Dangerous center stand 2003 Zuma
Bolt a side stand to the frame or replace the engine
But if you bolt a side stand to the frame remember you can’t let it run on the side stand and there is the chance that it can roll because there is no parking brake or way to leave it in gear

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:30 pm
Newb
Newb

Thank you for the reply. I have ordered a bolt-on sidestand. I wish I could fix the center stand, but as you said, it's not trivial to do. I'll probably try anyway so I can have both.

Regards,
Tom

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:09 am
Newb
Newb

a good welder could fix that easily

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 am
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the suggestion. i didn't realize it would be an easy weld. I'll investigate. BTW: bad news on the bolt on side stand I ordered. I can't figure out where to place the u bolt on the frame. Can anybody give me some guidance? Also, a note about how this whole problem arose in the first place. The center stand has been slowly grinding away metal on the engine block, everytime the 2 come in contact with each other. The result is that finally the stand is so far forward, the back wheel begins to touch the ground. And of course it's very hard to pick up the entire weight of the scooter to get it off the stand. Yamaha would have done well to treat those 2 contact points as wear items.

Tom

Attachments:
IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4007.JPG [ 717.76 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

They do you are suposed tomlube those points regularly
The pin is suposed to wear

Welding that isn’t going to be easy
The hardest part is going to be cleaning the area if it’s not clean the al oxide will flash and melt a hell of a lot more then you want
Then you have to pre heat the area as it’s cast
Next is getting it all lined up right
Now because it’s been neglected and not lubed the holes are bagged out and weak on the other side if not cracked also

You will have to find a spot on the tube in the floor area and trim the plastic some the side stand works there are several threads about side stands

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:25 pm
Newb
Newb

like I said, a good welder could fix that easily
it's not really a DIY repair.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]