View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Prices and "handling fees" 
Newb
Newb

Post Prices and "handling fees"
I was just now perusing the scooter shopping board and read the thread about "What's up with these high prices?" The last post was pretty old so I figured I'd start a new topic about my personal experience. When I went to the dealership, I was looking to buy a 2009 Zuma 50. Right before I posted this, I tried to look up their prices for that model, but they only had the price for the 2010 model which was $2290.00. To the best of my knowledge, mine was maybe 150 bucks less than that.

Anyway, at first the guy said they only had a blue one (it looked like it had been ridden some, not much, but still) and I told him I really wanted the black one. He thought they didn't even have one. Turns out they did, one that had 0 miles and was towards the back of the warehouse. Brand spanking new. After agreeing that that was the one I wanted, I proceeded on to the little financing, deal making table out there on the floor of the showroom. The guy does the paperwork and all, and tells me that after all the taxes and whatnot, I could ride it out of there for like 3100 dollars!! I said "ummmmm, when I looked up this scooter on your website it was like 2100 dollars, I can't possibly see paying over 3000 dollars man, no way..")

So, he immediately asks what I'd be willing to pay. I said, "Make it 2500 and I'll buy it today, no financing required." He kind of acted like it couldn't be done, and took it to his manager, came back after 10 minutes and had it down to $2,499.99. (Looking back, I should have said look man, I got 2400 cash, if you can do me that then we got a deal, but I didn't.) I just found it funny that they could fudge the numbers down to the last penny like that, I guess his manager wanted to get every last cent, lol. I should have given the guy a penny and said "OK, that makes 2500, just like we agreed," haha.) I hate haggling, and yeah, I probably could have gotten it a little cheaper, but they checked it out thoroughly and washed it and all that before they released it to me. I saw the guy giving it a quick test run in the parking lot, and immediately noticed the "burned out" headlight. I mentioned it to him, and he says nope, that's the low beam, the high beam is on the other light. Of course, I thought that was pretty stupid. Needless to say I fixed that shortly after I bought it.

I guess the moral of the story is never pay what they ask for at the beginning, and all those fees are obviously purely negotiable..

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: I'm still a complete noob. I upgraded from a 2004 Zuma 50cc to a 2013 Zuma 125. There's a lot for me to learn.
Post Re: Prices and "handling fees"
Thank you for posting this candeh. I'm new at this and appreciate reading everyone's experiences. I hate haggling and messing around with the salesperson walking off to talk to the manager. It's like we're on our own when we're arguing over the sticker price.

We need to bring in professional hagglers with us to negotiate the prices for us. I wonder how much Oldguy would charge to come in with me and give the sales staff a run for their money?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2410

But, the good news is that you've got a great Zuma for yourself, candeh. Congratulations, and I hope that you have many miles of enjoyment with your scooter. Take care. :toot:

--rudge

http://tapastic.com/series/Kickstart

Mon May 17, 2010 8:29 am
Profile YIM
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
If I were paying cash then I would go in and say I am willing to pay MSRP plus tax and title/license but not one cent more. If they refuse I walk out the door! The dealer pays less than the MSRP , not a lot less but less and their shipping is not that much so even at MSRP they still make some money. Many shops try adding on the "prep" charge but that is just bull! Oh sure they have to take it out of the crate and hook up the battery but come on! Plus cash means just that , they get paid right then and there and in the world of retail that is king!

Now when you are using financing they have you by the b@)(s!

Mon May 17, 2010 12:10 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Prep this.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Mon May 17, 2010 12:44 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
Thank you!!

Stickied this post to the top.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
prep is more then just pulling the scoot out of the box
normaly they ship with no front tire on and other little bits that need to be put on
fill and charge the battery and put the battery in
then you figure the mecanic needs to give it a once over and clean the carb
fill the fluids and take it for a test ride
this takes about an hour if they dont find any little issues with the scooter

yeah there is very very very little profit for the dealer at msrp if they sell for msrp
then you figure shipping is around a 100 bucks per unit depending upon how many units they get and what warehose they are comeing from and how they are delivered
then you have to figure that they are forced to buy the inventory on a ge account and even if the dealer pays the account the day they get the scooters ge still adds a fee on
then figure in the over head of the bldg insurance staff
if you sell for msrp you loose money no doubt about it that is why they add on the prep fee and the delivery fee
but then again if you guys ahvent been on the working side of a scooter shop you might not know all of this
so if you can walk out for msrp + a reasonable set up and delivery fee(less then 300 unless you are in a very remote area and its a small volume delaer) plus ttl you are getting a deal

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:04 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
Hey I will take saving $800 ship it to my house and I will assemble
oh wait you cant
if dealerships make so little, then do something else to make the customer happy like throw in gear or something
they dont do anything anymore. Only once when I got my 2nd bike they threw in all this stuff
bike #1,3,4,5,6,7 never offered anything

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
jmkjr72 wrote:
yeah there is very very very little profit for the dealer at msrp if they sell for msrp

but then again if you guys ahvent been on the working side of a scooter shop you might not know all of this
so if you can walk out for msrp + a reasonable set up and delivery fee(less then 300 unless you are in a very remote area and its a small volume delaer) plus ttl you are getting a deal

Perhaps - but still they try and milk every person to the fullest and some dealers are worse than others , the shop here for instance - they RAPE you!
First off they have a great monopoly. They are the only dealer for all 4 Jap brands plus Harley as well as Eton. There are a couple of places locally that sell used bikes with a small assortment of Chinese scoots but that's it. Go to the next town? - well there are a few dealers say 100 miles away , hit or miss on what brands and always a very small shop with little to pick from. To get to another large dealership you have to go 200+ miles.

I do realize there is some time and effort in assembly and prep and they do have an overhead BUT if Yamaha puts on their site that a Zuma costs X amount then the dealers price shouldn't be much over that. They often try and hide their surcharges by saying the bit of "that's the tax, title and license" but that often isn't the truth. Oh also the higher the sell price the higher the tax so it ends up costing twice as much. As far as giving extra goodies - crap - they try and give you junk or stuff they could't sell. Dealers if you read this - just sell at a good price , no gimmicks just the best price you can.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2012 Yamaha Zuma YW50FB
I just joined the forum, but seeing this post I have a follow up;
I originally purchased a Kymco Super 8 2T 2011 here in Northern Virginia but returned it due to MANY MANY issues. Got it 4($2198)
As I said I returned it, and because of my bad experience I was O.T.D with a new 2012 Zuma 50F for ($2749).
I don't feel I got robbed because I am a salesman too, and don't want to beat a guy out of a profit, especially as said before, there really is little "wiggle room" on such a small margin for profit. For my location anyway, you should consider how expensive everything is in the highest average salary county in the US. I think I did OK.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:14 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: I just have a Hong Kong Diazon 50. I am now interested in either a Zuma or Ruckus
Post Interesting
I new and reading through some of this Scooter Shopping to gain some insight. One thing about the Dazon scooter I bought about 5 years ago is it was at a Gander Mountain sporting goods store. There were 2 scooters there, one was a 125 and mine was the 50. I did not know a lot about scooters and these were marked down considerably from their original sticker price, almost 50% :wth:
The Dazon 50 was regular $1199.99 before tax and I think it was marked down to $599 or something. I looked at my Receipt a few months ago to tell some people and with Tax it came to $647 and some change. Not sure if there was any prep fee included or title. They did charge up the battery and checked the oil, tires etc., handed me 2 keys and a paper said Title on it. The Title had all the numbers on the scooter and stuff, but, really, anyone could put their name. I just put it away with the receipt and extra key. Now back to the price :saddowns: I guess they not lose money so they had to had a high mark-up :confused: True this some off the wall Hong Kong made scooter, but, if they sold any for $1199 they made some profit. Maybe the 2 were all they had and never sold because of the price :confused:
Anyway, this is an interesting thread and I enjoyed the input as I get ready to wheel my deal for a new or used Zuma/Ruckus.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:01 pm
Newb
Newb

New to the forum and looking for help. I have been researching and looking to buy a 2009 Zuma 125 from Craigslist. It's listed for $2699. It is in great condition with 1450 miles on it. Included is the Yamaha OEM windshield, luggage rack with Shad 33 top case, drink holder and 1 year left on the warranty. It's a used bike but in good condition. It's the end of the riding season as September is upon us, the 2013 model year will be out soon. Looking at the blue book value it's retailed at $2020, trade in $1400 for the scoot alone. I offered $2200 which I felt was extremely generous, he will accept nothing less than $2500. I've done my homework and feel like an educated buyer but am looking to you scooter maniacs for some guidance. Let me know if this guy is a seller based on emotion or if his price is accurate.
Looking to be with you guys on here for years to come. Thanks for your educated opinions.
Rubber side down.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

2009 are all over craigs list
I think they are asking too much you can get them alot lower

trade in value is if your trading into a dealer
you cant use that price
and blue book is probably for an excellent condition
so if that bike isnt its worth less

for his price might as well buy a new one not much more

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Hey Zumike. Thanks for your reply. I didn't get the bike but I'm just curious. A 2009 in excellent condition, stock-- what should I expect to pay???.
The funny thing with that Craiglist seller is that he had it listed for $2699. Lowered it to $2600. This morning after he told me that he would take no less than $2500, what does he do. He goes and lowers his price to $2500. The guy has no idea what he is doing. Just thought it was comical.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

under or at $2000

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Scoot Master

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 125
I agree with Zumike. Are you in NYC? I bought mine for $2000 plus tax and title. It was stock and had 247 Miles

2009 Zuma 125 ~ Dual Headlight Mod ~ KOSO Afterburner Tail Lights ~ Power Pure SC's ~ TST Variator 10L12S ~ TST Lightweight Fan ~ Koso CNC Clutch Bell ~ Performance Clutch ~ Race Torque Driver ~ 1k Contra Spring ~ NCY Bearing ~ Simota Filter ~ Smoked Signal Covers ~ Smoked Reflectors ~ High Speed Fan ~ Kryptonite Panels & Fender ~ RPM CF 9 Hole Cover w/Kryptonite Badge ~ Zubiku Spoiler ~ CF CVT Air Scoop ~ Chopped Whale Tail

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next