View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How do you deal with scooter stigma? 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: How do you deal with scooter stigma?
I think it is a matter of "Lo-cal".

Here in Philadelphia. In the ... City Of Brotherly Love...

I wheel up to a light and there is a H. D. Rider or 2 or 3 for that mater. I stare them down and call them Chrome Riddin.. Pusssy's. I ride off as fast as I can go.......................................................................................

If there is a Good Hospital at the "Lo-Cal". I do fine..I Heal Fast. :q:

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:59 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: Zuma 125 (162cc BBK) TMAX 530
If they ask why didn't you buy a motorcycle.... well thats easy. You wanted a scooter. As far as sick showing.. If your that confident..

Cheap, ease of operation/maintenance, modifications, reliability, fun is what sold me...

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2005 BWS
Almost every time I ride my Zuma I get a huge grin on my face! (Less so when it's pouring rain, but you know.)

At my work, (Local University) parking for a car = $80 per month. Motorcycle = $30 per month. Bus pass = $90 per month. That means my insurance, gas, AND parking for the month combined are about the same as, or slightly cheaper than a bus pass. Why the F would anyone ride the bus around here now?

I have taken a little flak for riding a scooter, but never anything that actually hurt my feelings or made me embarrassed. When you're secure in your decision, it doesn't matter what other people say or think. They just don't know what they're missing! Plus all the previously mentioned comebacks help.

TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, Stock Carb 84 Main, Needle 1 Rich, Stock Airbox Snorkel Removed, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, NCY Adjustable Torque Driver, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:27 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 08 Zuma 50 two stroke. ZX pipe, weights, springs, egr delete, and many more to come in the future.
This is a sound topic to bring up. I grew up with my father being a member of the Vigilantes motorcycle club. So I have always been in the motorcycle scene since birth. As a teenager I purchased my first Harley, a 96 softail custom. After learning to ride on 70's and 80's Japanese bikes, the Harley felt cheap and cumbersome to say the least. That shocked me because it was always a huge fantasy as a child to own one. Needless to say I'll never go down that road again. I've had many bikes through the years and I CONSTANTLY catch grief from personal friends and from the public for buying and LOVING my 07 ZX14. They dog me, but funny how they all ask to ride it. Funny how that works out ya know. So yes, I catch all kinds of hell from certain types of people because I didn't decide to overspend on a supposed American made bike and decided to opt for a much smoother, more well refined, and much more reliable machine. Anyway, I have an 08 Zuma now and I couldn't be happier with owning such a great machine!!! It's so light, nimble, peppy, fun, easy on fuel, and just plain awesome that my ZX14 doesn't get near the attention anymore. I've learned from all of these experiences to let the idiots talk their talk. They only speak these ways because they have no clue or are too attached to a shallow ego. I myself all aspects of two wheeled fun. Yes there is a certain stigma with a scooter rider. But that stigma only exists because others have let it exist.

As far as I know this is all that is done so far.
Pulls hard up to 35 and will make it to about 43 mph on the flats
Dual headlight mod
2014 Genuine Roughhouse, matte army green
Malossi 70cc sport bbk
85 main jet
NCY super transmission kit
Rattler handlebar and gauge conversion
2008 Genuine Rattler, silver & black
Bone stock so far

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:39 pm
Profile YIM
Scoot Master

My friends used to give me a hard time about riding a scooter, but they would later come to me individually and ask a bunch of questions and were interested in buying scooters for themselves. I seriously didn't care what people said or thought, especially about a Zuma. It was extremely cheap to operate and maintain.

I sold it and bought a FZ1 because I wanted something I could take on weekend fun rides. I would have kept the Zuma but I couldn't justify keeping two different bikes.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:44 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
So look where you'at !! You need another Zuma !!
They don't take up much room -and- if they're paid for ... they don't cost anything to maintain.
bassic wrote:
I sold it and bought a FZ1 because I wanted something I could take on weekend fun rides.
I would have kept the Zuma but I couldn't justify keeping two different bikes.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Quote:
I sold it

Man... the pope is selling his Harley.. I wonder if he's still on the Harley forums..

How do you deal with not having a scooter stigma?

:cheers:

08 YW50X, T-Mod,* Top Performances 70cc Trophy kit, 05 needle one notch richer, Pirelli sl26, 84 main, 46 pilot, Malossi .30 reeds, Yellow Malossi torque spring with torsion controller, Dr Pulley sliders, Leo Vince ZXR

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:59 pm
Newb
Newb

Got my first taste of blind hatred today. I was riding home from work, minding my own business. I pulled up to a red light next to this old mid nineties Corolla which was already stopped before I pulled up. I hear "get a real bike" in a woman's voice and turn to see this pig of a woman sitting the passenger seat, not looking at me. Shes probably in her mid thirties dressed pretty shabbily. Fine, I let it go and decide to ignore her. Then the light turns green and I pull away from them, I hear "GET A REAL BIKE!!!!!!." She screamed it at the top of her lungs. I let my anger get the best of me. A smarter guy would have just let it go right there but I pulled in front of them and slowed down to a crawl, gradually. They high beam and honk at me during the 15 seconds or so they are actually behind me and eventually haul butt through a left turn only lane to pass me. I catch up to them at another red light. The boyfriend or husband of the pig of a woman stops his engine and gets out and starts calling me names (fag, homo, etc). I get off the scoot and put down the center stand and prepare to rumble but he steps back behind his door. Then I realized it probably wasnt worth going to jail or loosing a good job or worse. I also looked back and he and I were holding up a whole line of traffic on this two lane road. I just left. People are such assholes. No reason to act like that, especially when you are in your mid thirties and you are rolling in a Corolla. I admit too that I should have stuck with my original plan of ignoring her.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:31 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, "The Fly," '96 Jog "In progress."
Damn man, that wasn't even scooter hate. She just needed something to be angry about and you were there at the right time.

At least it stopped before getting to actual violence.

/playedoutmeme Keep Calm and Scoot On /playedoutmeme

08 Zuma "The Fly" 50: Stage6 Racing Mk.1 (0.7 squish), Athena Race exhaust (S6 Pro), Malossi RHQ crank, Doppler 15/50s, Dellorto 21mm PHBG DS (60/42/90), Top Perf. Vforce3 reed valve, Malossi Multivar w/drive face, Malossi Delta Clutch & Wing bell (Yellow contra, yellow clutch springs on stiffest), Stage 6 R/T forks, Stage6 R/T 4 pot brake, S6 280mm big brake, Aerox 100 rims, S6 CNC'd controls, Brembo master cylinder, Hoca/Bando ignition, naked bars, manual petcock, Pirelli SL26s, dual light mod, re-profiled seat, LED signals, doodads and gizmos (TT Vapor, Harris Project R1 grips, silly stuff) and always running Amsoil Dominator.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Seriously? It even occurs to you people to give even a passing thought about what someone thinks of the scooter?

The answer to that woman is to shrug your shoulders and say "I happen to prefer the scooter!" - if you feel compelled to answer.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

nartmot refused to be bullied. Well done.

I sometimes wonder how long my bid would be if I did to someone what they deserved to have done to them. It's just as well that I don't have first hand experience here.

The comment about the 30ish loser driving an old Corolla is spot on.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks, TM, Nick and Scott. I think all of you guys make very good points.

Nothing wrong with driving the Corolla but it certainly doesn't put you in a position to judge others on their choice of vehicles. Don't judge me and I wont judge you. "Get a real bike," you say? Get a real CAR! My ride is still worth more than yours.

I don't think it would have been a good outcome if it went any other way. I was a quarter mile from work, less than a mile from the police station, and there was a whole line of witnesses behind us, some of which probably work in my office building. I have much more to lose than those idiots. Its fun to fantasize about all the things I could have done to them, but in the end its just not worth it. The worst thing you can do to them is leave them to their own miserable lives. Carry on doing what makes you happy and duck all the haters.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: currently building.....
The only time you should feel like a beyotch on a Zuma/scooter is if it's STOCK and SLOW. Then..... yes you are a clown on a scooter no matter how you rationalize it.

2005 Zuma-MKII Race, MKII 21MM PHBG 40/92, C16, 12mm Crank, B9HS/LBO5EP 5K Cap, Advanced Timing, +1 Ignition Coil, Premix 32:1, Derestricted Intake, VF3's, MHR OverRange Complete, 27 grams, MHR Delta Clutch, MHR Wing Bell, Red Contra, Blue Springs, Torsion Controller, 15/50 upgears (SOON 14/42), Oversize Fan, Snork removed, Start Block Off Plate, Throttle Cable and Single Pull Tube, Dual Headlight Mod, Integrated Rear Signals, Boppers, Tach/Temp Gauge, kickstand.

I GOT MACHETES AND SWORDS FOR ALL YOU FAGGOTS THAT ROAR....Image

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:29 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma 50: throttle mod, mudflap delete, fairing grocery-bag-hook mod. 2008 Zuma 50 #1: throttle mod, mudflap delete
Vaporz wrote:
The only time you should feel like a beyotch on a Zuma/scooter is if it's STOCK and SLOW. Then..... yes you are a clown on a scooter no matter how you rationalize it.

Yamaha designed a great scooter in the Zuma 50 2t. More than a few of us choose to run ours in stock form. Some of the modded bikes seen here are truly impressive and inspired. I respect the work and the achievements of the modders and the tuners but there is little mention of what is given up to make this modest transportation device go 25% faster. In my opinion, 25% more speed than a stock 50cc is still stupid slow! Instead of trying to make my Zumas into something they were never designed to be, I just choose routes that don’t put me in conflict with faster traffic. In mid Michigan that is not hard to do.

What is the pay-off for leaving my bike stock? It is quiet, for one thing. I can motor around in places where your expansion-chambers are not welcome.

I don’t have to fiddle with it either. When the weather changes I don’t have to change my needle height, I just wear a different jacket.

I don’t rebuild my top-end every 2000 miles either. Stock Zuma 2t 50s with decent oil go ten times that without having to turn an engine bolt. The bottom end of a stock 50 is unlikely to ever need anything.

I point these things out not because I take offense. I just think readers here should know that there are two sides of the story. Modding stock 2t Zumas is best left to people who are mechanically gifted and who derive great satisfaction from doing the work and measuring the results.

People who are on a budget, those who enjoy riding in peace and quiet, those who don’t have experience operating a torque wrench, those who appreciate a turn-key riding experience and those who use their bikes as a utility transport… would be better served to leave their 2t Zuma engine stock.

I wish I had a dollar for every BBK-gone-bad story I’ve read here. With that much money I could buy any used 125cc stock motorcycle, any year, and blow the doors off modded Zuma 50s without even trying.

2008 Zuma 50 #1: throttle mod, mudflap delete.

2008 Zuma 50 #2: recently purchased work-in-progress

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: currently building.....
Then why are you here if your not modding or upgrading your bike....to watch everybody else do it?

You want a stock setup for whatever reason....fine with me. For all you little girls whose feelings get hurt when people talk shyte to you about your ZUMA, "How do you deal with scooter stigma?".....fix your bike. Make it go faster. AND THEN everyone is gonna want to ride it as you leave em in the dust from the red light or stop sign your sitting at.

25% faster???? If a stock Zuma technically tops at 40mph (ok 41 if your not a fat butt) and I am hitting 70+....that's 75+% faster. Do the math. Most of us here have real bikes. We enjoy tricked scooters but we also have our harleys and sportbikes that do 160mph+. Some of us here love scooters so much they have 5 or 6 scooters. BUT none of em are stock. AND WHEN PROPERLY TUNED THEY RUN FOREVER. (minus a piston ring change and rehone)

So my point is....if peoples words hurt or bother you about your scooter, either put up or shut up. Grow some balls, take em off the line or fly by em doing 65+ and you'll never hear a word of that again.

A stock scooter is as happy as putting rivets on your seat!!!!!! How you can ride a stock scooter and be content is mind baffling to me and this ALL is just a matter of opinion.

Two sides of the story....Be a beyotch OR BE A MAN!!!!

2005 Zuma-MKII Race, MKII 21MM PHBG 40/92, C16, 12mm Crank, B9HS/LBO5EP 5K Cap, Advanced Timing, +1 Ignition Coil, Premix 32:1, Derestricted Intake, VF3's, MHR OverRange Complete, 27 grams, MHR Delta Clutch, MHR Wing Bell, Red Contra, Blue Springs, Torsion Controller, 15/50 upgears (SOON 14/42), Oversize Fan, Snork removed, Start Block Off Plate, Throttle Cable and Single Pull Tube, Dual Headlight Mod, Integrated Rear Signals, Boppers, Tach/Temp Gauge, kickstand.

I GOT MACHETES AND SWORDS FOR ALL YOU FAGGOTS THAT ROAR....Image

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next