View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 keep and fix zuma or buy kawasaki sherpa 250? 
Scooterologist

Post keep and fix zuma or buy kawasaki sherpa 250?
My pretty much stock 08 zuma 50 with just under 3k miles in pretty near new shape otherwise. It has been having minor issues a while now and seems to have low compression. I can start it and ride it to work and back, but don't trust it without possibly being late if it doesn't want to start right away. I don't know what's wrong with it, but it's bad enough I would rather fix it before driving it any more. Today I came across a 2000 kawasaki Sherpa 250 for $1700 with 2300 miles in mint shape lady owned since new. It sure would be nice to be able to take a bike out of town, but I don't have cycle license yet.
Is it a good upgrade or would you fix zuma being I have no license yet?
I would drive it 95% of the time to work in town.
What would zuma be worth if I tried to sell it as is?
Any thoughts? I think the Sherpa is a really good deal and will sell fast around my area if I try and sell zuma or get license first.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:22 am
Scooter Addict

Post Re: keep and fix zuma or buy kawasaki sherpa 250?
wether you ride the kawi 250 or the zuma50 its a good idea to get that license anyway

PocketChangeScooterClub
1995 Suzuki Intruder VS800
2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:14 am
Scooterologist

Yeah, been thinking about it a while now, just don't have a bike to get the license with

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:19 am
Scooter Addict

Ahhhh.. I see.

PocketChangeScooterClub
1995 Suzuki Intruder VS800
2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, "The Fly," '96 Jog "In progress."
Apples oranges. Keep the zuma and buy the sherpa. Nobody here is going to tell you to sell your zuma. If you need a dual sport the sherpa is great, and your hand is pretty much forced. I guess I don't understand the question.

08 Zuma "The Fly" 50: Stage6 Racing Mk.1 (0.7 squish), Athena Race exhaust (S6 Pro), Malossi RHQ crank, Doppler 15/50s, Dellorto 21mm PHBG DS (60/42/90), Top Perf. Vforce3 reed valve, Malossi Multivar w/drive face, Malossi Delta Clutch & Wing bell (Yellow contra, yellow clutch springs on stiffest), Stage 6 R/T forks, Stage6 R/T 4 pot brake, S6 280mm big brake, Aerox 100 rims, S6 CNC'd controls, Brembo master cylinder, Hoca/Bando ignition, naked bars, manual petcock, Pirelli SL26s, dual light mod, re-profiled seat, LED signals, doodads and gizmos (TT Vapor, Harris Project R1 grips, silly stuff) and always running Amsoil Dominator.

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:38 pm
Scooterologist

I bought it. Will be selling zuma now as is or fixed later trying to decide which way is best.
What would it be worth both ways vs what could it cost to fix?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:14 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

There's no way to know how much it'll cost to fix it until you know what the issues are. If you're looking to know how much it's worth, Kelley Blue Book is a good place to get an estimate, but until you figure out the repair cost, there's no way to know for sure.

If you try and sell it as a complete scooter locally and aren't getting what you want, you could try and part it out and see what happens.

Stage6 19mm PHBG (38pj/84mj/W7 1 lean)
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stock airbox, UNI filter, snorkel removed
Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
Stage6 Pro Replica, derestricted
Malossi MHR Overrange (24.3g)
Malossi 107mm Delta Clutch (yellow Malossi springs)
Malossi 107mm MHR Wing Bell
Malossi Yellow Contra Spring
Malossi Torsion Controller
Top Performance Reed Block and CF Reeds
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:36 pm
Scooterologist

There's only 4 other zuma the body style of mine I'm seeing for sale on Craigslist in my area. All have 2 or 3 times as many miles and are asking $1400-1800
As is with mine having lower miles, new brakes, new battery and a windshield would $1400 be too much to ask?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:33 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

$1400 is above the KBB value for an '08, but you have the right to try to sell it for however much you want. It's really up to a prospective buyer if the other add-ins and new parts equate to that much extra value, especially considering that it's not currently mechanically sound.

Also, body style probably isn't as great a comparison as model year, mileage, mechanical health, etc. You might have the mileage in your favor, but if the other Zumas are newer, it'd be harder to justify spending the same or more money on an older scoot. Just my two cents as an outside observer.

Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:22 pm
Scooterologist

They seem to sell for way more than bluebook around here. First one I looked at before buying mine was a pos 2002 if i recall correct. Bald back tire about ready to pop barely started, topped out at about 20mph and had 8k miles on. Was very tired and beat up. Offered guy $300 for it every week until he sold it for $700 after a couple weeks.
I missed out on an 09 with 900 miles for $1600 sold within an hour of listing. I was next in line but it sold to first guy to call.
After looking for over 3 months and finally finding the one i have now. I drove 2 hours to meet guy at 6am before he went to work because another guy was going to come later that night with cash if I didn't get there first. It was listed at 6pm the night before. They go quick around her for some reason unlike the Chinese ones that nobody can give away.
I didn't see any 09 for sale and only other year zuma I found newer are 4 stroke so I don't see how that comparable. They are all asking $2k used if you do want to compare. Most are $2400-2500 used

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:32 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like Zumas are favorites near where you live! If you list it for $1400, you'll probably get a few people asking about it just because it's not as expensive as the competition. Whether the mechanical issues cause them to balk at that price and make lower offers remains to be seen, I guess.

But, considering all that you went through to get your Zuma, I'd hate for you to sell it! Obviously you want to be happy with whatever you decide, but you should keep it for a bit and see if riding it differs enough from your Kawasaki to make you want to keep the scoot (assuming you're willing to get it fixed up).

Stage6 HPC 10mm crank
RFY Shock
Stage 6 F1 Mirrors
Stage 6 14/42s
NGK BR9HS
Michelin Boppers
Trail Tech Vapor
LEDGlow Underglow Kit

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:11 pm
Scooterologist

That's what my wife wants me to do. She has been mad at me since I bought the kawasaki and says it's a dethtrap unlike the zuma. She don't like the idea of me on the hwy. I'd be lying if I wasn't a little scared too, but way cheaper and more fun riding a cycle than my gas guzzling truck everytime I leave town. Now is the best time to sell, I guess it depends how much I like the kawasaki in a week or two. Otherwise I might get it into my basement somehow until next spring and sell then or keep as a winter project and backup bike.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, "The Fly," '96 Jog "In progress."
You don't want that 250 on the highway at any rate.

08 Zuma "The Fly" 50: Stage6 Racing Mk.1 (0.7 squish), Athena Race exhaust (S6 Pro), Malossi RHQ crank, Doppler 15/50s, Dellorto 21mm PHBG DS (60/42/90), Top Perf. Vforce3 reed valve, Malossi Multivar w/drive face, Malossi Delta Clutch & Wing bell (Yellow contra, yellow clutch springs on stiffest), Stage 6 R/T forks, Stage6 R/T 4 pot brake, S6 280mm big brake, Aerox 100 rims, S6 CNC'd controls, Brembo master cylinder, Hoca/Bando ignition, naked bars, manual petcock, Pirelli SL26s, dual light mod, re-profiled seat, LED signals, doodads and gizmos (TT Vapor, Harris Project R1 grips, silly stuff) and always running Amsoil Dominator.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
I can ride my 250 on the highway and I have it geared higher for that reason but I tend to keep it on the streets like the scooter
just nice to have highway if needed

Max I can go at least 87 speedo calibrated so its real speed
but im not aerodynamic at all
but thats not much power in reserve if your already at high speeds and need to pull past someone

if you drive around 65 mph you have enough to pull away from someone flat ground

also depends on the tires you use, as they are pretty skinny you could get wobbly

I just switched my wheels and tires to super motard size which is 17 inch front and rear
gearing adjusted for the wheel size change
handles way better as they are much wider, and smaller
not sure if thats a inexpensive option for your model as they probably would be custom wheels which could get expensive
if your not doing any trail riding the motard wheel are the way to go on the streets
I rode dual sport for many years and loved it
but the motard wheels are now even better I think

even when I had my 400 dual sport it maxed out at 99 mph, digital speedo this was before any hand held gps were out and I know the speedo was way off

my 2012 250 also has digital speedo and it read around 85 when going 65 before I bought a calibrator for it
and to be honest even the 400 didnt seem to have that much more power when getting onto the highway probably because the gearing was exactly the same too and that model seemed to hit redline around 9200 rpm

my 250 hits at 10,500 so I can really whine it out to get the most power

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I had to look up what a Sherpa was, and ended up on a 120+ page ADV rider thread about a guy riding from Nebraska to Guatamala and back...
Now I want a Sherpa!
I love my Zuma, but seriously, the idea of being able to go just about anywhere on the continent seems so cool.
Not to hate on sport bikes, but after reading about this guys adventure on ADV, it made me wonder about people who spend gobs of money on huge swing arms and chrome only to ride around in circles in the same city only when it's nice out.
OP, you just need to convince your wife to get one too!

08 YW50X, T-Mod,* Top Performances 70cc Trophy kit, 05 needle one notch richer, Pirelli sl26, 84 main, 46 pilot, Malossi .30 reeds, Yellow Malossi torque spring with torsion controller, Dr Pulley sliders, Leo Vince ZXR

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next