View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Oil filter plug issue 
Newb
Newb

Post Oil filter plug issue
Hey everyone. I was 1 for 2 today now that I figured out how to answer the "who lead administrator to ZF?" Question and register. Just bought my first scoot, a 2009 Zuma 125 (20,000 miles young) and I'm in love. I did a couple tune ups: new NGK plug, k&n air filter, fresh Michelin tires front and back and Mobil 1 synthetic for the engine and tranny oil. Everything went smooth except when I tried taking out the filter cap underneath. It would not move by hand, so I put a socket it on it and still couldn't get it to budge. I pulled out the big guns and got out my breaker bar and it finally came. Upon cleaning that up and attempting to insert the plug, it will not tighten all the way. It seems to get tight and once I get it all the way tight, if I go one click more it goes back to being loose. Upon closer inspection it seems that there was some sort of adhesive on the plug for added seal. Oil is leaking out though, so I ordered new plug, filter, and spring. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'm thinking that it may not fix it. Anyone have a similar problem to this? Not sure if I should get an adhesive and coat it like it had been prior. I am not very handy and this is my first two wheeled machine I have been working on, so if you could offer solutions that are easy to understand for a total newb like me would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on tune ups or upgrades a new guy should know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:10 pm
Newb
Newb

Post Re: Oil filter plug issue
Just thought to myself too, the service manual shows an o ring that goes on but it was not there. Could it be the lack of the o ring that is causing it to not tighten securely? I ordered the o ring along with new plug, filter and spring. I figured it wouldn't hurt to put new ones considering the mileage. Thanks again!

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:13 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
I think there is a spring, and that screen too
were they installed in the correct order

also I probably wouldnt waste time checking it but every 10,000 miles

unless you know the oil, and funnel you use has crap and debris in it

if you add clean oil from a clean funnel most likely will never need to check it

I would recommend using magnetic drain oil drain plug you will always have metal shavings that will collect on it

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the tip Mike. I have been looking into magnetic plugs. Lots of vendors on eBay with different brands and prices. Any that you can recommend?? I also found the culprit to the filter leak.. That nice little crack running down the inner thread pattern. I figured it would be worth checking since it is my first oil change since buying it, and although I had service records from last owner, I figured it was worth a check (curiosity killed the cap!)

Once I put the new one on, I won't touch it for a while, as long as I am careful to keep debris out in the future and keep my equipment clean. Any idea of an adhesive I can coat it with for added seal?

Despite this setback, I feel a sense of pride having even done these small maintenance tasks on my own.

Thanks again though, and any other recommendations for anyone else who catches this post are much appreciated.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:34 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
if you havent ordered one yet I dont use my cap I think I know where it is I can send it to you
I use a oil cooler and it uses that filter hole to run the cooler lines so cant use a cap anymore

ive found the magnet plugs for a honda ruckys, china gy6 150cc, old honda ct70, c70, lifan 125 engines all use the same threads as the zuma

so as long as you see one of those show up on ebay around $17 it will work

get the ones that have a magnet popping out the bottom, not flush

the ones that pop out are stronger and hold more metal then the flush ones

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

I appreciate the offer, but it is already ordered from my local cycle shop. Only 8 bucks for the plug and o ring. I appreciate the offer though, thanks man.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]