View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sketchy driving my Zuma 50 in the rain - your experience? 
Newb
Newb

Post Sketchy driving my Zuma 50 in the rain - your experience?
So I bought my Zuma as a general commuter, in the Northwest it rains a lot so I've been caught several times in the rain. I can gear up for the bad weather but this scoot (stock w/TB mod only) has some terrible lower speed, wet weather handling characteristics. It's a 2009 with almost new Michelen Bopper tires; supposedly a fairly good rain tire......

Moderate to high speed long sweepers are pretty predictable and so far it's been ok. It's the very low speed turns such as an intersection roundabout or a LH/RH turn 90 degrees or greater that is concerning.

I find my front wheel sliding out under these tight corners at low speeds, and by low speeds I'm talking speed that you would take a bicycle at or lower. Has happened a few times so far and again today, almost bailed and a very unsettling feeling.
I consider myself a fairly capable driver/rider and would like to think that I have a good concept of the dynamic of a vehicle.

A motorcycling colleague of mine suggested that it is because of the light weight of the scooter.
So my question to you is:

1. is it just the nature of the beast/rear heavy bias scooter?
2. sucky tire?
3. bad entrance/exit technique (have automotive track and autocross experience BTW)
4. all the above or ????

I really like to find a solution to this problem, don't want to hang up my helmet for the rain so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

TIA!

- Athena Carbon Fiber Reeds
- Factory Airbox Snorkel Removed
- Throttle Mod
- NGK B9HS-10 Plug
- Gianelli V2 Extra Expansion Pipe
- 5.5g Variator Rollers (included with Gianelli Pipe)
- Dual Headlight Mod

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:34 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Post Re: Sketchy driving my Zuma 50 in the rain - your experience
You say almost new. What are the date codes on n the tire 3 years from date of manufacturing is all they are good for before the rubber starts to get hard and you loose traction.

I've only ever noticed issues is in heavy rains and on predictable slippery spots painted surfaces man holes ect.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:27 pm
Scooterologist

Whats your tire PSI? I can't speak to the front tire but I have a bopper in the back and it handles pretty well. I've got a Pirelli SL26 up front and it does well in rain.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:37 pm
Newb
Newb

jmkjr72 wrote:
You say almost new. What are the date codes on n the tire 3 years from date of manufacturing is all they are good for before the rubber starts to get hard and you loose traction.

I've only ever noticed issues is in heavy rains and on predictable slippery spots painted surfaces man holes ect.

Good question, I would have to check as I don't have the scoot with me at the time.
They were purchased last summer however and only have about 2000kms on them.

nnorton44 wrote:
Whats your tire PSI? I can't speak to the front tire but I have a bopper in the back and it handles pretty well. I've got a Pirelli SL26 up front and it does well in rain.
Last month I dropped by the Yamaha dealership and they checked the tire pressure. I believe they set it at factory spec (37psi) but don't quote me on that.
Would going to a slightly lower psi be something to consider?
Maybe 3-5psi lower?

The Bopper I have in the back has yet to brake traction in the wet, just the front tire that is nerve racking. I'm granny driving this thing around sharp corners on rainy days. In the dry both front/back Bopper tires grip exceptionally well, and I push the corners hard in the dry.

I almost at the point of buying a new front regardless of treadwear/noise/fuel economy/price considerations as that small contact patch of rubber is what keeps me safe or makes me into a statistic.

Can anyone suggest a hands down awesome rain tire?

- Throttle Mod
- NGK B9HS-10 Plug
- Dual Headlight Mod

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 pm
Scooterologist

Usurper wrote:
Can anyone suggest a hands down awesome rain tire?

I've been happy with the Pirelli SL26, but I have little miles on it, hopefully someone else can comment.

I was gonna get a matching Bopper for my front tire but it popped up on sale $35 shipped and I read it was a bit better (in rain) so I went that route.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:16 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Yeah I have refused tire shipments because of date codes on them even from large retailers if possible I like to buy local and see the date codes before buying

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:54 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2008 BWS50
I have been running Pirelli SL26s for 2 years and I have taken it in the rain - not by choice. They do fairly well as long as the water isn't deeper than the siping, but I'm pretty cautious driving in rain, especially during turns. I can lean a little bit but I'm taking turns slow at 20kmh at the fastest. I just don't trust myself in rain or wet surfaces on a 2 wheeler... hope that helps. Personally, I try to avoid riding in the rain, but I'm assuming you can't really get away from it.

I was going to try Michelin Boppers after I'm through with my Pirellis to compare how it handles.

Pirelli SL26 tires front and back, Single throttle cable conversion, Malossi Sport 70 cc, Motoforce 17.5mm Carburetor (88 main, 38pilot, a8 needle middle notch), malossi reed block, CF reeds, Malossi Yellow Contra spring, 6 16x13 weights (3x 4.3g + 3x 5.0g = 27.9g total roller weight), modified stock airbox - extra uni air vent and snorkel out, Technigas RSii exhaust, Malossi Multivar variator, stock clutch/bell, Malossi yellow Clutch springs, 15/50 upgears, dual headlight mod, c3 mirrors, 12v hidden accessory outlet

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:32 am
Scooterologist

jmkjr72 wrote:
Yeah I have refused tire shipments because of date codes on them even from large retailers if possible I like to buy local and see the date codes before buying

I just received two Pirellis from MotorcycleSuperStore this week. Can you tell me where to find these dates codes? Thanks!

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:33 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Search date codes on Google it's a four digit code by the dot info

Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:17 pm
Scooterologist

I did just that. At the end of the DOT number there is a four digit number that indicates the week and year that the tire was manufactured. Mine were made in the thirty eighth week of 2015.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:40 am
Scooterologist

Thanks for the info. Nice to see my new tires were manufactured within a year.

+1 on Motorcyclesuperstore they have the deal on the SL26's with free shipping!

Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:05 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '03 yellow Zuma with Malossi 70 cc, rejetted stock carb and stock exhaust.
I went from the Pirellis to Michelins and the contour difference of the rear tire is huge. The Pirelli is flatter and it took me a while to get used to how much easier the scoot would lean with the Michelin. I've ridden in the rain quite a bit with the Michelins and only could get them to walk if I really push it. Odd problem you're having. Do you sit way back on the seat?

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:17 am
Newb
Newb

I think I sit in a relatively normal position.
If when I go into a corner, I lean toward the front wheel to put more weight on it, would that help plant the front wheel better?
Or would that make the wet cornering more unpredictable?

- Throttle Mod
- NGK B9HS-10 Plug
- Dual Headlight Mod

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:33 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '03 yellow Zuma with Malossi 70 cc, rejetted stock carb and stock exhaust.
I like to stay neutral while leaned over. Sounds like something else is going on? I will say this...my scoot handles a lot better with the Michelins than the Pirellis, even though that rear Pirelli SL26 gives these things a cool hot rod look :)

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:27 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2009 50cc
The stock tires suck. No rain groove in back tire. I did a fishtail + wipeout..

Michelin reggae tires are like night and day...

https://fortnine.ca/en/michelin-reggae-scooter-tire

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next