View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Help finding paint ideas on a sportbike 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 96 Jog 05 Vino 08 C3 04 Super 9 00 SR
Post Help finding paint ideas on a sportbike
Ok so I got a job painting a pretty new R6 (I think). Dude laid it down in a parking lot. He said "just do whatever you want with it". He wants to keep it at about $1200, so i cant get too crazy, but that should get him the repair work, primer, base, kandy (if needed) a little airbrush work, and clear. He told me there are 10 panels to the bike. I have painted 100 Harleys, but never a sportbike. Anyone have any cool pics of custom painted bikes to share? Right now, it is the flat black/gloss black combo. Not real interested in painting the frame or wheels (which are both flat black) so wadda ya got?

I was thinking a combo of kandy gold/kandy root beer/white. But really id appriciate any tips here!

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
Post Re: Help finding paint ideas on a sportbike
Odd , I would think the guy would at least give you an idea on the basic color. I like the gold/rootbear colors , not sure how you are thinking about using the white with them. I agree with you on the frame and wheels , especially if the budget is tight. You could do basic flames or tribal graphics , either high-contrast or subtle ghost.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:50 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Painting the guy to match the bike may not be an option :) but I always liked this kind of look. Valentino Rossi:

Attachments:
Valentino_rossi.jpg
Valentino_rossi.jpg [ 71.93 KiB | Viewed 3097 times ]

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.
Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:32 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts

im a red and black kinda of guy

something along those lines kinda simplified would be nice

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:36 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
Dark red is the sickest color on an R6, i vote red, black with airbrushed flames. ;)

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 2008 ZUMA YW50
Yeah...and maybe something similar to stock graphics, but with a twist or a color swap or airbrushed instead of decals. My 929 is painted like a 954rr, red and black, but reversed-ish and no lightnig bolt/streak dookie :) I get lots of compliments on it. Simple is the key, unless the guy is more the 'loud' type IMO.

Motor #1(2008) R.I.P this listed configuration, for it breaths new life under the rule of a new King...ENJOY NICK B!!!: Athena Sport BBK, Ported case, Power 1 HPC crank, Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 24mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter,Malossi drive face, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario - (22.5g), S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller.

Motor #2(2005): To be built.....ported cast iron 48mm bore, 41.4mm stroker crank, Ported case..(the rest of the following I don't have 2 of each...this stuff is coming off the 2008 motor) Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 21mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario, S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller, Athena 15/50's for 12:1 ratio

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah the only thing the dude told me was no flames. He doesnt like them. I thought about a kandy blue with some tribals with the beveled knife edge look to them. I talked to a guy that knows him tonight, and said this was the second time its been down. So I may simplify it and loose the kandy, because I know i will be the one that has to fix/match it when he dumps it again.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:57 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nick Batzdorf wrote:
Painting the guy to match the bike may not be an option :) but I always liked this kind of look. Valentino Rossi:

Haha! You dont have to sell me on that brother! Dont forget....

Attachments:
October 24th 2011 528.jpg
October 24th 2011 528.jpg [ 3.25 MiB | Viewed 3087 times ]
Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
NO.FLAMES !!
Who doesn't like flames ... how about TRIBAL flames ?? ??
I've even got flames on my Zuma ...
buguy wrote:
dude told me was no flames.
He doesn't like them.

I talked to a guy that knows him tonight, and said this was the second time it's been down.
I know i will be the one that has to fix/match it when he dumps it again.
Well ...
If he's gonna dump it again ?? Solid BLACK is a great color

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 155
Have to AGREE with Bio, if he's just gonna dump it again why even spend the $1200? I mean that's good for you but seems like a waste of his money and your time to do something awesome and then have it crayoned into some asphalt :gonk:

Yoshimura TRC Carbon Fiber Exhaust,KOSO LED Tail Light,NYC Lightweight Fan,GJMS Speedo Cable Holder,Simota Hi-Flow Filter,NCY Direct Ignition,Magazi Led Signal Mirrors,Embedded LED Rear Signals,GJMS Fan Cover,GJMS Oil Cap,GJMS Rear Stabilizer Bar,GJMS GP-5RT,GJMS Forks,Frando HF2 Radial Caliper w/GJMS Mount,GJMS 260mm Rotor,Swageline SS Braided Line,GJMS Axle Pulleys,GJMS Ti-Coated Front Axle,Accel Bar,Accel Steering Stem,NYC Grips,NYC Throttle Control,GJMS Lever Set,RX1N/PGO Digital Guage,12t Majest Gears,CF Swing Arm,RC 155cc Kit w/2nd gen SRP Injector,High Lift Cam,Aluminium Nikasil Cylinder,Lighter Cam Gear,3D Billet Heat Sinks,3D Cam Breather,BMW e46 HID Projector,Prototype LED Front Signals,CF Parts,TST Varaitor 11g/12g Weights,Ariete Bridgeport Angled Valve Stems,Pirelli Diablo Tires,FRC Torque Drive,PG HD Clutch Bell,HD Clutch,1k Torque Spring,NCY Torque Spring Bearing,KS CNC Floor Board Plugs,Daytona +2mm Kevlar Belt

Mango Tango Build Thread: http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19102

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
"In Preparation" for future repairs ...
Sectioning off in blocks ... nice solid colors would be an easy, quick fix ...
for those time.to.time Uh !! Oh !! sssssss.

No one likes the YAMAHA ... DEEP PURPLISH BLUE

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:08 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah i have been thinking about what might be better. But I have to remember he is the customer ultimately, and I want him to feel good about the money he is spending. But really, he said do what you want, which i will. And he will have to learn to like it. He asked me before about the Yankee ball team type theme. I thought it would look dumb, but maybe to keep it simple I will paint it white and add some stiching like a ball and maybe the logo on each side of the tank (where it is least likely to hit the ground). He is out of town til Wed so i will run some ideas by him when he gets back.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

BioMedHMC wrote:
Well ...
If he's gonna dump it again ?? Solid BLACK is a great color

How about primer gray , call it old school hot rod look and when it needs a touch up it is super easy.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

buguy wrote:
Yeah i have been thinking about what might be better. But I have to remember he is the customer ultimately, and I want him to feel good about the money he is spending. But really, he said do what you want, which i will. And he will have to learn to like it. He asked me before about the Yankee ball team type theme. I thought it would look dumb, but maybe to keep it simple I will paint it white and add some stiching like a ball and maybe the logo on each side of the tank (where it is least likely to hit the ground). He is out of town til Wed so i will run some ideas by him when he gets back.

The Yankee's colors are mainly blue and white with just a little red in the logo. Perhaps do the panels a dk blue with white tribals or the other way round??? Then reupholster the seat in white with red french top sticking{it would look like a baseball!}. Red , white and blue looks great for many things and even does on a bike except that Honda has used that scheme for many years on many models and might look out of place on a Yamaha. White on blue or blue on white has been used by Yamaha a lot on the other hand. In fact you could go ahead and use a Yamaha blue factory color instead of a custom paint , might be cheaper.

This graphic might look cool if it where applied over the top of the tanks and down the sides?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice find. That would look good behind the gas fill looking from the seat!

Wonder how it would look if I simply painted it white with a large navy blue NY logo on the tank in the middle with some jersey pinstripes (5-6 pinstripes) running about the same width of the logo from front to back of the bike. The maybe another Navy blue logo on each lower fairing and front rear fenders. And then maybe doing the seat in white with the red ball stitching.

Maybe this logo on the lower side fairings just to mix it up and tie in a little more of the red.

Attachments:
yankees-logo.jpg
yankees-logo.jpg [ 42.8 KiB | Viewed 3062 times ]

Last edited by buguy on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next