View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 NC scooter law - somewhat of a loophole 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Bone Stock, with one mirror and a taped up turn signal. Not registered or tagged.
Post NC scooter law - somewhat of a loophole
From my understanding, since the recent increase from 20mph to 30mph, the law is:

"You must be age 16 or older to operate a moped on North Carolina highways or public vehicular areas. A driver license is not required, and the moped does not have to be registered, inspected or covered by liability insurance. A motorcycle safety helmet is required by law when operating a moped on North Carolina highways. A moped cannot have a motor of more than 50 cubic centimeters, an external shifting device or have the capability of exceeding 30 miles per hour on a level surface."

A level surface, hmmm. That leads me to immediately think of a "flat" surface, which means that as long as I am going UP or DOWN hill, I can go as fast as the posted speed limit allows.

Then again, it does say "capable"....crap. It doesn't really bother me anyways, I go above 30 everyday with no tag. As long as you have a helmet and aren't in a rural town (Locust, NC) the cops really don't care as long as you don't do anything stupid. I doubt they would test it anyway, after all they aren't allowed to do a "field test" thank goodness.

I am mentioning Locust because I went through a license check there, and they forced me to break out the registration to prove that my Zuma was under 50cc's. They said that if it wasn't below 50cc's then I was going to jail...how rediculous, but I guess it is the law...even if it is stupid. They also almost wrote me a ticket because they claimed that the max speed limit for a scooter is 20mph and my speedo reads 40. They FREAKED out lol. I bet I looked like a D.A. being pulled over at a license check on a Zuma. I cited the above DMV law and they shut up pretty quickly when they realized I wasn't some dumb kid on a scooter lol. I probably could have gotten a fake Motorcycle permit though, seeing as how a lady at my local DMV was making fake licenses for up to $5,000 a piece for illegal immigrants. :doh:

As long as I have a registration document saying that it is under 50cc's it doesn't matter if I put a 200cc engine in there lol...but I won't betray my zuma. :cheers:

I "speed" under the speed limit and I am not going to change that for some cop, until I get a ticket.....then of course I will. :patriot:

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:42 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 Yamaha Zuma, Red, race driven.
Post Re: NC scooter law - somewhat of a loophole
I live in NC as well and I think the 30mph speed limit is ridiculous. Going that much slower than the flow of traffic is certainly more dangerous than going 40mph. A warning though: I've been pulled over twice. Once for going 38mph on a "level surface" and another for being clocked at 46mph down a hill. I didn't exceed the posted limit either time.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

So what do they do if they catch you going 38 on a flat surface or 45 downhill? Speeding ticket? Take you moped?

Supposedly there is a law up for consideration NC HB166 that will increase the max allowable speed on a moped.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:45 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
if thats the same bill that i have read about get ready for a lot of new stuff for you guys in nc like plates ins and needing a dl to ride your scoot

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 9902160311

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Quote:
“We have seen a large number of wrecks involving scooters where the scooter driver has been at fault,” Gonce said.

I'm sorry, but I really do feel that people should have to pass the written and riding tests to get licensed before they're let loose on the streets. And at $100/year I don't think it's unreasonable to require us to carry liability insurance.

Whether the minimum age should be 16 is another question. But the license makes sense.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:17 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 08 Zuma, Corbin Seat, Throttle Mod, Dual Headlights, Michelin Boppers, LeoZX (on order)!
Here in NY we need the works. MC license - insurance - registration - yearly inspection.

I also took the Basic Rider Safety Course for my own peace of mind (and it eliminates the riding portion of the license test).

It seems to keep the idiots off the road around here. It also keeps the scooter population down because most people after all that just get a MC.

I like that too because I seem more unique on the road. :q:

2008 Zuma 70cc (TP Trophy BB) CF Reeds, #85 main, Corbin Seat, RRGS Shock, ZX pipe.
2008 Zuma 70cc (Athena BB) #84 main, ZX Chrome pipe. My awesome wife's ride.
Athena Vari, SL-26 shoes, C3 mirrors on both.
52-53 mph (GPS) top speed on both!

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:28 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2005 raven zuma, Stage 6 sport 70cc, LV ZX and Malossi Fly Clutch.
I'm sure I've said this a zillion times, but here in AZ there are lots of restricions on the MC permit. And you have to be at least 16 to get a license. License requires running the course.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:18 am
Profile YIM
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
NM law is similar to current NC with a few exceptions. In New Mexico you have to have a license to operate a moped but it does not have to be a motorcycle{classM}license. The vehicle must have a displacement less than 50cc and not be capable of a a speed greater than 30mph on a flat surface{nothing about the transmission though}. With the possible exception of Albuquerque and maybe Santa Fe the cops don't care about it's speed , I have ridden around at 30-40mph and the cops don't even give me a second look.

Here it is possible for a 15 and a 1/2 year old to ride alone. At 15 a kid can get an "instructional" permit{learner's license} but for motos has to have an adult{21 or older} ride behind{cars have to have an adult in the front passenger's seat}. After 6 months and some other requirements he/she can then get a "provisional" license. With this he/she can ride alone but only from early morning to midnight{otherwise must have the adult follow-along!} If during the learner period the kid got a ticket , he/she can't get the provisional. After one year of the provisional he/she can get a full license unless there is a ticket or drug/alcohol convection.

All vehicles for use on public roads in the state of New Mexico MUST have liability insurance{although tons of people find ways around it!}. So a moped/scooter has to have insurance here. Insurance in this state is fairly low for the most part , I am paying $120 year for FULL coverage.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:55 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I keep a laminated copy of the most important scooter laws under my seat just in case some power crazed police officer pulls me over and makes up some laws of the moment.

Here's a sample.......

Quote:
(b) "Motorized bicycle" means a vehicle having two or three wheels, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cc, and an automatic transmission which produces a maximum design speed of not more than thirty miles per hour on a flat surface.

Michie Legal Resources!

Hyazuma

2. Stage 6 Full Circle Racing Crank
3. NGK BR7HS
4. Malossi Over-Range Race Transmission 29.7grams (malossi rollers)
5. Malossi Yellow Torque Spring
6. Malossi Delta Clutch
7. Malossi Wing-Bell Clutch Bell
8. Malossi Sport Clutch Springs for Delta/Fly (Currently running white)
9. Malossi Up-Gears
10. Polini Airbox (This is the most pimpin part I have on my scoot!)
11. Pirelli SL26/Michelin Bopper combo
12. Hyazuma Special Throttle Cable (This one is B2TB!)
13. Arreche 19mm Carburetor
14. Arreche Manual Choke
15. Laser XPRO Expansion Chamber Exhaust (Low tone = Happy Nieghbors)
16. Nuova Ray High Performance Scooter Ignition (Prog. rev limiter and detune switch)

Touch my parts again and I'll cut you up into tiny pieces and make a salad!

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:21 pm
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: 2002 vino classic, 2004 vino classic
cottonwolf wrote:
So what do they do if they catch you going 38 on a flat surface or 45 downhill? Speeding ticket? Take you moped?

Supposedly there is a law up for consideration NC HB166 that will increase the max allowable speed on a moped.
They handcuff you and throw you in MOPED JAIL!!!! Ahahaha

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:31 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Scooterz NC, in Raleigh has some nice Adly's, no Zuma's though.
I would search Craigslist and try to find a nice used one.
What City are you in?

08 YW50X, T-Mod,* Top Performances 70cc Trophy kit, 05 needle one notch richer, Pirelli sl26, 84 main, 46 pilot, Malossi .30 reeds, Yellow Malossi torque spring with torsion controller, Dr Pulley sliders, Leo Vince ZXR

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:01 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma 164
You do realize that you are answering a question that was posted on ::

MARCH 14, 2009

And ... Randy hasn't been here on the ZF since ::

OCTOBER 7, 2011

sk81978 wrote:
Scooterz NC, in Raleigh has some nice Adly's, no Zuma's though.
I would search Craigslist and try to find a nice used one.
What City are you in?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:49 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma
Im in Charlotte and had my scare today... Here is what happened.

I had an undercover following me for like five miles. He said I did six wheelies, and was going pretty fast. He recorded me on his phone on the back tire.
He stated that last week he was behind me doing the same thing.
I think he lives in my neighborhood or one nearby because we commute about the same time every morning.
Another Monroe police officer pulled up and loved my bike and they were asking me all about it. He told me he had a vino and asked what I could do with it. I gave him my business card and he his going to bring it to my shop this week.

The undercover said this was strike two and if he sees me doing wild stuff one more time its the last time I operate a motor vehicle again.

Been doing 30mph ever since

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:23 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I swear, I was replying to a post wondering where to buy a scooter here in NC... must have gotten deleted. Just trying to be helpful, sorry to make you use a larger font, Bio! :)

08 YW50X, T-Mod,* Top Performances 70cc Trophy kit, 05 needle one notch richer, Pirelli sl26, 84 main, 46 pilot, Malossi .30 reeds, Yellow Malossi torque spring with torsion controller, Dr Pulley sliders, Leo Vince ZXR

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:44 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
Cwoodar0 wrote:
The undercover said this was strike two and if he sees me doing wild stuff one more time its the last time I operate a motor vehicle again.

Been doing 30mph ever since

Good! Now maybe you will start acting like an adult and take other people's safety into regard. I have no problem if you want to do wheelies and other stunts in a safe area but not on public streets. Riding like that gives all riders a bad reputation. Ride safe! I will step off my soapbox now.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next