View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 04 Zuma Ignition Wiring. 
Scooter Addict

Post 04 Zuma Ignition Wiring.
Ok so my wiring harness is screwed around where the Ignition is. the Key Switch was apparently removed in favor of a Flip switch. the Flip swith only had the brown and black wires connected. i am looking at the wiring Diagram and could use a little help here. i have a 2-pos 3 prong switch it has Supply Volts, On Acc, and Earth Ground. i want this switch to do what the 3-pos key switch does only with 2 switches.

from viewing the diagram, The Grey wire is only used in the 2nd pos of a key switch. the Grey wire looks to be going to the oil check light. brown i believe is the primary power. Red is also a power but for another system. black is just a ground wire. now in the CHECK pos of the keyswitch the grey wire bridges with the red wire, and that goes into the oil light. in the On Pos red and brown are bridged and black and black/white are bridged.

so from what i can tell i can take and connect the red and brown to the Supply Volts prong, grey to the On Acc Prong and Black and Black/white to the earth ground prong. that should get me all set right? i could just put red, grey and brown to the On Acc prong and not use the Supply Volts prong?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:05 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Post Re: 04 Zuma Ignition Wiring.
there is a wire diagram in the service manaul that you can down load for free here

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 pm
Scooter Addict

jmk, thats what i have already. read instead of skim... the whole second paragraph talks about the wiring diagram and where the wires go >.>

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

well first off this is not information that should be out in public
why is that once you put out what needs to be done
it gives every idiot out there who wants to steal a zuma an idiots guide to hot wireing the scooter
that is why you are going to have to figure it out from the wire diagram

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:11 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

There are 5 wires connected to the main switch! 4 in a square connector and one all by itself.

A 2 position switch? - you mean an "on or off" switch or "acc, on and off".

The only thing the grey wire does is turn on the oil indicator light - it is a check to make sure the light works. Even if that wire is left hanging the oil warning light would still come on if the oil level was low as that switch is inside the oil tank.

As for jmkjr's idea that we shouldn't talk about the ignition switch because somebody might figure out how to steal a Zuma - :confused: - couldn't they just download the wire diagram themselves? Or I would suggest anybody smart enough to find this thread and glean the info needed would be smart enough to figure it out on their own. Sorry jmkjr but I don't buy it.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:44 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

just like we dont post up how to get your keys out of the bucket when you lock them in there
any one who would be smart engouh to find a thread on that could figure it out them selfs too

one thing i have learned over the years is most thiefs are going for the easy score it takes too long to read a servcie manual

but it doesnt take too long to type things into google and guess what the google spiders search this site so before you know it how to wire a zuma could be an easy find

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:58 pm
Scooter Addict

speedandstyle, my Zuma does not have the standard connectors. its the reason i plan on getting a new wiring harness after i get my job and settle my bills. otherwise i would just get a new Key Switch. this had a on/off switch on it previously but i had not lights. i want to put a switch on it that i will have lights. i am thinking i may not even need the grey wire connected. i would like to have the rest of my lights. I am considering just picking up a 3 position switch it would be much easier. however i do believe i have it correct and i don't need a oil light indicator since i manually check the oil frequently. so red and brown to the ON ACC, and black and black/white to the earth ground and that should get me going. and then the next thing i invest in is a wire harness and actual ignition key switch.

to be honest, its easier to just pull up next to one and put it in a truck then it is to hot wire it and drive off. The best protection, imho, is a hidden GPS tracking device. if i would be driving around on a 3-4k Yamaha Zuma or nicer i would cope the few hundred and the fees to have a GPS locater put in it. Because i i want to steal a scooter, i will be driving around in a pick up with some big bolt cutter and just clip the chain/wire then load it up. ill worry about swapping the key switches out later and then turn around and sell it fast before its located. Maybe invest in some rattlers to change up the paint job to make it a little harder to track. BTW i am paranoid and creative...

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

My idea of the best protection is insurance.

You can try wiring it the way you think but it is not clear in my mind so I can't give you a sure bet on advice. I have never had the ignition switch out and I am totally going on the wire diagram. But what you say does sound about right but I could be wrong. Worst case is you fry some of the electrics. If you have a gauge you could check and see what wires go to what, using the diagram as a guide.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:20 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

im not talking about stealing it im talking about useing it once its stolen
hell i could ride it off just as easy as tossing it in a truck

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:12 am
Newb
Newb

RED WIRE -
BROWN WIRE -
BLACK WIRE -
BLACK/WHITE TRACE -
GREY WIRE -

Last edited by jmkjr72 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Removed sensitive info

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oscar wrote:
RED WIRE -
BROWN WIRE -
BLACK WIRE -
BLACK/WHITE TRACE -
GREY WIRE - ;)

Read the thread and you will see that there is a reason that this information isn't posted

Malossi MHR Big Bore 77 LC, Malossi RHQ crank, Roost 86 pipe, 28mm Keihin PWK Carb, Stage6 reverse intake manifold, Custom Subframe, Stage6 Vforce3 reed valve, Polini open air Filter, Malossi 2010 Over Range, Polini 2G clutch, Dr Pulley clutch bell, Malossi yellow contra. Aerox wheels. ProTaper bars. Buzzeti side stand. Many more upgrades to come...

2008 Zuma 50
2012 Zuma 50 (sold)
2006 Metropolitan selling/parting out!
2003 Derbi Red Bullet

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]