View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 12v Outlet 
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 49cc with throttle mod, SP3 pipe, GPS Mount and windshield
Post 12v Outlet
Next week when I install my SP3 with rollers and springs, I want to install a 12v outlet to power my GPS or phone. I am planning to use this Blue Sea 1011 and would like to put it in the cubby hole on the right side near the top. Has anyone tried this? If it wont work there I could use some ideas?

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:50 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2005 zuma, 70cc kit, leo vince pipe, performance clutch, performance ignition coil, custom green paint, 4,000 plus miles
Post Re: 12v Outlet
i am not sure if it will work or not??, but when you get it finished could you post some pictures up of it?

2005 zuma custom green paint, 70cc kit, technagas 70 pipe, performance clutch, performance ignition coil, up gear, 21mm carb. , bopper tires, modified body, 4,000 mile's , "THE FASTEST *GREEN* ZUMA IN THE TWIN CITIES AREA"

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:00 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 Yellow BWs 50: PHVA 17.5 mm carb, YES Muffler, TP Trophy 70cc, Malossi variator & clutch, JDM tail
it's been done , and I read about it on ZF, but can't remember where. It was wired through the key, so that the outlet powered off when the ignition was off. a quick look at the wiring diagram shows that it should be easy to tap 12v power.

YELLOW 2008 BWs 50 - Zumaforums Member #2057
dual headlight mod, C3 Mirrors, TinyTach, JDM Tail light, Low Canadian OEM windshield
Top Performances Trophy 70 cc, MotoForce 17.5 mm PHVA clone 90 main jet (still tuning) with Stage6 Choke lever next to key
Malossi Variator 6 x 5.5g rollers (still tuning) Malossi Delta Clutch Red springs, (still tuning) Malossi Yellow contra spring (still tuning)
YES Muffler(Canadian, eh)
Stage6 43/13 Primary gears. 10.94 final drive ratio
COMING: STR8 oversized fan, Motoforce Evolution crank

70 cc of scootin' pleasure

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:31 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2009 raven black zuma 125, mrp variator,clutch,and tourque spring
why not run it off constant 12v power? Like cars are so it's always hot. Not like you 50's don't have a kick start...... Just run it rite off of the battery!

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma - 50cc Motoforce - 14,900 mi
bpcontique wrote:
why not run it off constant 12v power? Like cars are so it's always hot. Not like you 50's don't have a kick start...... Just run it rite off of the battery!

If it were me, I wouldn't do that. I've had enough trouble with my battery already without having another thing sucking its juice. I would rather have reliable blinkers and a horn than a 12v socket that's always hot. I like the idea of wiring it through the key, though.

Black 2002 Zuma - Motoforce 50cc - Carbon fiber reeds - 80 main jet - 6g rollers in stock vari - Adige clutch w/ 12kg springs - Malossi white contra spring - Integrated Rear Blinkers - 16,500+ miles (ever increasing :D)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:25 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 Zuma 49cc with throttle mod, SP3 pipe, GPS Mount and windshield
If nothing is plugged in the socket will there be any drain?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:40 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2009 raven black zuma 125, mrp variator,clutch,and tourque spring
correct no draw with nutting plugged in. That's the way I would do it cause then you have the option of charging your phone with out having the scoot running. Plus it's not gonna drain alot anyway

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:44 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 02 stock Zuma...05 radical Zuma racebike...
bpcontique wrote:

Both my Zumas have cigarette lighter outlets to power the GPS.....and are wired direct to the battery. I never had any problem with either one.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:45 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks bp and canyon.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma - 50cc Motoforce - 14,900 mi
bpcontique wrote:
correct no draw with nutting plugged in. That's the way I would do it cause then you have the option of charging your phone with out having the scoot running. Plus it's not gonna drain alot anyway

That makes sense... I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Black 2002 Zuma - Motoforce 50cc - Carbon fiber reeds - 80 main jet - 6g rollers in stock vari - Adige clutch w/ 12kg springs - Malossi white contra spring - Integrated Rear Blinkers - 16,500+ miles (ever increasing :D)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:57 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

plus if you wanted to charge somthing with it wired to the ign it would ha e to be on and your lights would be on there for you would discharge the battery like a million times more then just pluging your phone or whatever...

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 pm
Newb
Newb

Well the 12v supply is on the bike. After we removed the panels we decided the best place was to mount it in the cubbyhole on the bottom. After seeing the factory drainage holes we concluded that water would not pool up to cause a problem. The pictures were taken with a low resolution camera phone so i apologize.

The outlet is a marine grade Blue Sea 1011 used without the plate. It secures with a barrel nut and requires a 1 1/16" hole.

The hole in the bottom of the cubbyhole. Pollen F-ING sucks in the Pine State.

Mounted and secured.

A view of the inside of cubbyhole.

Panel back and position and plugged up.

The wires were run straight to the battery and a hole drilled into the battery compartment on the backside to prevent any moisture from entering.

Coiled plug hooked up and neatly run around the handle bars to the rear of the GPS. Works for phone charger too.

A little something something extra my mechanic installed. BOO-YAH. :cool:

The 12v power outlet works like a charm. Sure, it prevents me from putting a soda in the cubby when in use but its only used on 70 mile rides I take once in a while.

Thanks J.C.

Anyone needing any scooter zuma mods in the Triangle NC area such as these, let me know and I will put you in contact with my mechanic.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

so you went with going strait to the battery. Glad I could help. Good luck and ride safe!

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:28 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 08 Yamaha Zuma - Headlight mod, T-mod, more to come!
I think I'm sold on doing this as well. Except I want to tap into an ignition wire. What's going to be the best wire for me to splice into, if I don't want constant hot? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Progrips__Road Star mirrors_Pirelli SL26

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:45 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you start running into battery drain issues or dimming lights. You can install a small .05F capacitor between the battery and the 12v outlet to provide a power buffer. It will help you from over drawing your battery.

You can always run anything direct to the battery, but its never a good idea because its in-efficient. You always want some form of buffering between the power source and your end point. The correct way to do it would be to only deliver the exact amount of watts and miliamps required to power the device - and nothing more.

But - the install looks good and just keep an eye on your battery - you should be fine up to a certain point.

09-BWS 192cc (Army Issue - Camel Spider Tan, 1ea)
65mm Forged Piston: Custom Port job on 24mm Large Valve Head: 32mm Koso TB: 10-hole injector: Stock ECU: Stock Cam: Stock Crank/Rod: LeoV Exhaust: Modified Stock Airbox with Uni-Free Flow inside: Polini Sport Clutch: Stock Vario/9g: Custom LED Blinkers: Yes, its fast; No, you can't ride it!

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next