View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Minibowmatt's Prebug- FOR SALE IN PHILLY 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Minibowmatt's Prebug- FOR SALE IN PHILLY
June 2018 Update- This Bike is for sale in Philly. Email me at my name @ Gmail.
Price negotiable.

Its time I start a build thread. I am basically running a stock bike and its awesome and pretty much trouble free. I have done basic mods to it, and now its time to add to them. I was able to get a LV ZX-R off ebay for a great price, 70$. I also have a Polini Super Speed Variator also ready to install. I am running the yellow contra spring, and yellow clutch springs on a new motoforce 3 shoe clutch.

I think I want to try the pipe as it stands without doing any trans changes and see what happens. The stock variator is running 6g rollers, and according to this thread, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22189 I may be ok with those. I have a couple of new upsized jets handy too. I am not sure what to do about the carb yet. Stock may be too small.

I think It is probably going to be a little too much trouble to do both the variator and pipe at the same time. I think for tuning purposes most of you guys recommend doing mods one at a time.

If it wasnt 29 degrees outside right now, I would already have the pipe on.

2001 Prebug, TP Trophy 70cc, Leo Vince ZX-R De-restricted, Dellorto PHVA 17.5 converted to manual choke- 88 MJ, 45 Pilot, OEM Airbox, Athena Variator, Doppler 15/50 Upgears, Erlandson Kevlar Belt, Motoforce 107mm Clutch & OEM Bell, Malossi White Contra Spring, Malossi Torque Controller, Leo Vince "stiff" clutch springs, Custom Vented CVT, F1 CF Mirrors, CF Fan Cover, CF Airbox Cover, BWS Tail Light, Trimmed Rear Rack, STR8 Front Turn Signals, 5v USB Power Supply, Custom Donut Graphics by jdubbya, Cool Azz Underglow

Last edited by minibowmatt on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:42 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Re: Minibowmatt's 2001 Never Finished Grocery Getter build
Alrighty! The weather finally warmed up enough that I could work on the scooter AND still feel my fingertips, so I started in on this build a little this weekend.
Being that I bought this scooter with mods and service history unknown, I figured I would return it to the best possible stock performance before I upgraded much. Last fall I tuned the CVT with a new belt and rollers. I am consistently achieving speeds of about 38mph on the stock speedo.

Over the winter I accumulated all the remaining parts for an exhaust upgrade, CVT upgrade, and some visual tuning.

What I have done already:
Malossi 6 gram rollers
Kevlar belt
Malossi Yellow (1500rpm) Contra Spring
LV (1500rpm) Clutch Springs
Motoforce 107mm Clutch plate & Bell
CF Air box cover
CF fan cover
New front turn signals
New Hand Grips
BWs Lexus Style tail light/turn signals
Upsized Pilot Jet (50)
93 Main Jet

Whats on the horizon for this spring:
Leo Vince ZX-R ebay-$70!
http://imgur.com/KgqNW6v
Here is the exhaust restriction:
http://imgur.com/XGbzZlL
Here is it with the restriction removed:
http://imgur.com/Jt1XYnV http://imgur.com/HqQelMy
Doppler Rollers (to match the pipe---probably 5.1 grams)
http://imgur.com/o8H14yF
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi Torque Spring Seat
http://imgur.com/Cz0Opa0
LV Clutch Springs (to match)
http://imgur.com/o8H14yF
17.5 Carburetor ($25 ebay Delorto knockoff)
http://imgur.com/exUbop2 http://imgur.com/UWrN8cD http://imgur.com/TKYEqdy
Upsized Jets to match pipe (94?-97?)
http://imgur.com/mnIpeuN
CF side marker lights
http://imgur.com/0V2uZPP (bottom center- in plastic)
Polini Super Speed 9 Roller Variator
I may not be installing this as I hear I would have to remove the electric start.. time will tell.
http://imgur.com/ArI46NC
Blue Anodised body screws
http://imgur.com/exUbop2

This weekend I upsized my stock carb pilot jet. I have been having jumpiness/bogging in the first 1/4 of the throttle. Since upsizing from the 40 to a 50 pilot jet, throttle response is much much smoother through to WOT.

My Plan:
1. Try out/upgrade my carb to the 17.5. If I can dial in the knockoff carb, I will keep it. If not, I will order a suitable replacement.

2. Once the carb is set, I will install the ZX-R Exhaust. I derestricted the ZX-R exhaust inlet this morning. Super easy. I just used a grinding point on a die grinder. I will tune the CVT to match the ZX-R. I have Doppler 4.3, 5.1, 5.5 gram rollers on hand, and some Stage 6 in 6.5 and my current Malossi 6 gram rollers to choose from. According to the ZXR thread, I will most likely end up using the 5.1 gram rollers. I also bought a set of Top Performance Variator washers to fine tune with.

3. See if the Polini SS variator will fit. I don;t expect it to, and I use my scooter as a daily driver, so I am not taking the e-start off. If it doesnt fit, I will be looking to replace my stock variator with something better.

4. Visual Tuning
CF Fan Spoiler
CF Dual Optic Quattro Headlight
CF CVT cover
CF Levers
CF Kickstart
CF Master Cylinder Cover
New Custom Paint job

I do not have plans to do a BBK this summer. I don't have the tools to pull a crankshaft or flywheel, and I have no idea of what squish means yet, so I have a lot to do and learn before I will attempt that.

I am going to be looking for help on setting up the variator/using the shims.
I am sure I missed some stuff, but this is the bulk of my spring tuning plan.

2001 Prebug, TP Trophy 70cc, Leo Vince ZX-R De-restricted, Dellorto PHVA 17.5 converted to manual choke- 88 MJ, 45 Pilot, OEM Airbox, Athena Variator, Doppler 15/50 Upgears, Erlandson Kevlar Belt, Motoforce 107mm Clutch & OEM Bell, Malossi White Contra Spring, Malossi Torque Controller, Leo Vince "stiff" clutch springs, Custom Vented CVT, F1 CF Mirrors, CF Fan Cover, CF Airbox Cover, BWS Tail Light, Trimmed Rear Rack, STR8 Front Turn Signals, 5v USB Power Supply, Custom Donut Graphics by jdubbya, Cool Azz Underglow

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Will changing the contra spring from the yellow to the white help the scooter creep without revving as high?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ok.. So I am tryinig to tune my CVT a little better to help with my slow speed creeping...

I am currently running the 1500 contra spring and matching clutch springs, and in order to creep along, I am revving up in the 4-5k range before I start moving. I would like to see movement at less rev's...

Is that a combo of both the springs? or is it more just the clutch springs?
My initial thought was the contra, but after more reading I am still confused.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

You maybe changing the wrong spring. The contra is responsible for the up shift / downshift / range, How fast it will up and down shift. Balanced against the Weights in your variator. You need to change the Clutch engagement springs. That will get it to engage at a lower RPM.

Did you change the clutch springs, when you did your Leo pipe? I'll Bet thats when this started. ..... Why did Leo Vince, want you to do this?
When you go from a muffler to a Expansion pipe. You change the Dynamic's of the Engine. To get you into the Power Range, of your "New" Pipe. You need to get the motor revving, then engage.

The reason you are not "creeping".

What is happening, is the motor it is free wheeling, because you are under the engagement RPM of the clutch. It will do this even when you are moving at low speed.
This is normal operation, with a expansion Chamber/Pipe.

Or I am not understanding your complaint.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:05 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank You for replying.

I have not put the pipe on yet.
Last year when I got the bike, the rollers were flat spotted and the clutch was worn. So I put new 6g rollers in and a new motoforce clutch. When I installed the new clutch I put the 1500 contra spring in, and matching clutch springs. Ever since then I have been having this issue. The thing is, that it's been winter and havent been driving enough for it to bother me. Now that I am riding almost daily again, I want to improve the creeping.

It sounds like I need to try the lower rpm clutch springs.
Should I drop the white contra in too so its all matched?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:24 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

If I could emphasize one thing when it comes to tuning, only change one aspect at a time.

The clutch springs will react at whatever Rpm rating the Springs are. Once engaged they are out of the picture till there Rpm's drop. This is why when you kill the motor doing a plug chop the Motor still spins. It will spin till the road speed = the disengagement RPM.

The Contra Spring retrospect, is constantly changing its position, in relation to the weight's in the Variator & engine load.
Under normal circumstances, the Contra will not greatly effect the engagement RPM'S.

If you Miss Tune, IE- super heavy Weights & and the lightest Contra, High RPM Clutch springs.
You could have the transmission upshifting, before the clutch engages. { Remember the Clutch is not on the Motor, it is on the Rear - Driven Pulley, it reacts to pulley RPM}

I would recommend you install the Leo Pipe before Tuning. It will defiantly be different from the Stock Exhaust's Tune.
With a Pipe you will go lighter on the Variator weights, Heaver on the Clutch springs to keep in the Sweet spot of the pipe,{Higher RPM}
If you find it upshifting to soon &, or not down shifting soon enough, increase the Contra.

The Contra "RPM" rating system is flawed. It is actually the Strength of the spring that changes.
Your Scoot idles at 1800 RPM, & the Contra is doing nothing... So Your better suited with thinking of them as, Light, Medium, Heavy.
You want the lightest Contra & weights, that will Keep the belt from slipping & give the upshifting & downshifting Rpm's {Pipes power Band}
The Heaver the Contra, the more Wear & Heat on all the other Sub-Componets.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

I am pretty sure I understand what your saying. I am have all the parts necessary so I will change out the pipe tomorrow. I will see how it reacts. I have rollers on hand to tune it with if necessary. I have a range of rollers just in case.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:28 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

The weather has been really uncooperative this week. Snow, rain, bitter cold again...
UGHH...

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:24 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm almost... looking forward to high heat & humidity.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:33 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

First day of spring my burro!

I have been working on a headlight mask design this week in the meantime. I took an old prebuig headlight surround and have fit it with a lexan lens. I need to bend the lens still, and I ordered some LED strips and LED headlight bulbs. The bulbs are 505 SMD chips and have hi/lo. These sre a different chip design than the pair Zumike has available and also in blue.

I am going to mount the new headlight bulbs inside the new reflectors, but I dont know if i need the factory glass lenses, or can I leave them off and use the lexan. I can get lengthened beam adjusting screws easy enough. Once I mount those into the factory reflectors, I will install some blue leds in the headlight surround...placement to be determined.

here is the thread I made about that....I get no love... :(

:2bong:

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:22 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:44 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

I really like the old blue - makes me wanna trick it out all over again.

What is the thread you are referring to about your headlamps ? I don't see it.

Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

here is the thread about the headlamps. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23268
They are running on AC.
They are not the brightest, but I dont ride at night, at least where there arent street lights.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://youtu.be/TA87P0lN4fk

Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next