View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Got a 1970 Honda CT 70 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Got a 1970 Honda CT 70
My dad bought this to go ride with me on trails. I plan on buying this from him later once he finds out he doesnt like it. But im having him put my name on the title now so I wont have to do that later.
Its street legal here, even has a plate. And it came with the original plate too all tore up.
Now it has a newer plate on it.

The guy put in a 125cc lifan engine. The exact same I have in my dirtbike too.
But because of that there are some little issues.
First when we were looking at it the father couldnt keep it running. It was the pilot jet clogged. So I took it apart on the spot and got it running. They used no filter. No petcock. The tank has 2 lines, reserve and primary. They put both lines on a T.

What im concerned about is the height on the carb the fuel has to go into. The original carb the petcock was on the bowl so it was gravity feed. Now im going up hill a little. Maybe only when its really low this may be an issue.

I took it for a ride went pretty far and on the way home its pouring rain. It started to stall at stop signs. I thought maybe it was the open filter but ended up being the 2 lines in the frame were pinched. One line was totally pinched.

When I got home I saw no fuel flow and pulled the tank and fixed it all.
I have ordered a petcock. Im going to use the T still this way fuel flows from the lower nipple too.
Now its flowing good.

The bike's tires are really cracked, must be original. But it uses innertube so I feel little safer cruising on it until I get tires. Had to replace clutch cable, they gave us a new one. Since I have one of these engines I know it takes around 800-900 ml of oil so I used my small measuring cup to drain into.
The guy used at least 1-1/2 quarts so the rest went all over the ground. It was super overfilled. What an idiot.

It seems to be in really nice shape for over 40 years old. Looks to have 80,000 miles but im not sure if thats correct. Maybe.

So far got it to 40 mph, if the speedo is accurate. But now its pouring rain so I cant ride it anymore.

Has brake light, headlight uses 6v battery system. I see no signs of ever having turn signals. Hope that wont be a problem I dont think so as I could use hand signals. No mirror either. I feel totally safe on the road with other cars but so far its only on one lane roads in town.
Wants to pull a wheelie taking off.

Whatever reason has a really short plug in it, compared to mine. I put my plug in off my dirtbike and it works so im going to use that. I dont know if they had changed the plug or what.
I was told its a brand new engine I think the kid who owned it put the engine in and had to pay $500 in fees to register it then needed money to buy a car so thats how we got it.

Has some cool features, has holes in the frame for a carry handle or lifting handle. But I can see it never came with one, the holes have rubber plugs. The gas cap can be turned off not to allow air to flow out. And the bars and fold to the side so I think you can haul it in your car trunk
If you had the semi auto model you can also run the clutch line into the rear drum brake through its own mounts. Or like mine is another mount so you can use a foot pedal for the brake. And lever for clutch

I really like it and want to bomb all around town on it. Its super fun and with the larger engine about as fast as my 50cc ruckus. Im sure its not geared like a bigger bike would be but it seems to handle the streets just fine. I bet everyone thinks its illegal until they see the plate
I got insurance on it, only $32 per year
Since my dad doesnt have a motorcycle license guess who gets to drive it on the streets :awesome:

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Simota Air Fi|ter<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Yamaha Rear Rack<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s
2007 Honda Metropolitan FOR SALE

Image Image Image

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:28 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Got a 1970 Honda CT 70
looks pretty good for the age and ummmmmmmmmmm, mileage. 83k miles???

2009 Zuma 125 - 20k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
2008 Zuma 50 - Sold (3,900 miles)
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

yeah its weird
I know most of the number vibrate when riding unless the one next to the white is not like usual odometers
just havent really watched it yet when driving
did you see the shift thing on the speedo for the original 3 speed 70
you think in 3rd you could hit 50 mph?

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Simota Air Fi|ter<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Yamaha Rear Rack<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:46 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

yeah i noticed the gear ranges. i doubt the old engine would have done 50. but maybe someone around here could shed some light on that.

i had one of those chinese mini choppers (50cc) with a 3 speed and it was all wrapped out around 35 or less.

2009 Zuma 125 - 20k miles, Corbin Seat, Pirelli GTS23/24, Triple X Highway Pegs, DCR Glove Box, Rear Carrier, Emgo Trunk, Yamaha Windshield, 12/39 Gearing, TST Variator with 10/12 rollers and thick TST shim, Koso Clutch, Phongeer Bell, Ruima Fan, LED Tail Light, C3 mirrors, Samurai X Shocks, Vertical Headlight, RC 155kit (piston, cam, cam gear, injector), 260mm disc, 8" stretch, longer cables and Leo Vince pipe
Photo Gallery Springfield Scooter Club Scooter Trailer Service Manuals Yamaha/Honda Image

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

didn't realize the bike was that small. but looks like it gets up to speed well.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its like a zuma 125 sort of
Goes up hills just as fast

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:02 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's a cool little bike. Have you taken it offroad yet?

TP Tophy BBK
Stock airbox-w/UNI filter pad and snorkel removed
Dellorto PHBN 17.5mm carb-90 main/30 pilot/50 starter jet A12 needle w/clip at middle notch (still tuning)
Polini Evo reeds
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stage6 Pro Replica
Malossi Multivar-33gr total weight
Malossi Delta clutch- red MHR springs and MHR weights
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Rear Pulley Assembly from an '08 Zuma
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers
JDM Fender With Clear Lenses
flush mount front turn signals

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:32 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

no been raining all the time since my dad got it
plus he is getting the title monday

the rear tire is heavily cracked too
today I thought I was getting some free tires that would fit but turns out they were off a zuma 125
so I had my old zuma 50cc tires and one was still decent so I practiced how to change it
since its like a bead lock rim its super easy to change

I plan on riding this on the streets mostly, and my dad will ride off road on trails

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:04 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

your split rim and a bead lock rim are not the same thing

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:07 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Those little hondas are practically bullet proof! My girlfriend's dad has two of them. She and her sister used to ride them around at their cottage when they were 9 years old! They didn't run when I looked at them but I fussed with them for a while and got one running and the other needed a carb rebuild. I got a Chinese carb for it off the web and it made a big difference. A lot cheaper and easier to replace than to rebuild and clean out. I rode one through the woods in northern Michigan. It went through everything. I could hop it over logs and it would rip though everything I threw at it without a problem. Sand, mud, gravel, small trees and tall grass...nothing stopped it. First gear will pull you out of mud holes unless you get really bogged down. They are what made me want something a little more street legal. My top speed was about 45 mph...quite powerful on the low end but they are best on a trail! as much fun as you can handle. As much fun as you have on the street, trust me, run it off road and you'll trade it for your Ruck!

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:19 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

brought another one home today
but its my friends
little rougher then mine, only 3000 miles and 7 years newer
so thats why it has signals and mirrors
same lifan 125 engine too, but the guy geared it for more top speed so im curious to the gains
now we can gps run both see if it helps much

he is going to clean it up more paint some of the parts black maybe
the new harness install wasnt as clean as mine, alot of twisted wires, exposed wires so we soldered them all up and heat shrinked them to keep from shorting out
also his came with old dead battery but $600 cheaper then mine

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

My friends ended up having a leak in one of the seals, at the flywheel
The gy6/ruckus/zuma flywheel tool works on the lifan engine too which is cool
One tool to rule them all

I had another engine laying around that has tranny problems so we stole the seal from that. Since neither one of us ever took apart a lifan engine we wernt sure how easy it would be to get to that seal. Well its cake to change that one.
The leak has stopped.

We went on our official ride today, he lost a exhaust nut somehow.

I also broke down yesterday, I had my first official lone ride and about 10 min in I come rolling to a stop. Throttle would not work but it was idling just fine.
Ended up being the hack job of soldering on the throttle cable end, the part that connects to the carb. It just slipped off. Some little nub or stopper that lifts up and down the slide?

So all I had to do was resolder it back on, but really well this time. I think I will start to carry a micro torch and solder just incase mine doesnt hold as its really simple to fix on the road.

Got new tires coming in a few more days. Found a used chain guard I had no idea I was missing. Hopefully its aged enough to match my paint.
Also found a centerstand/peg/sidestand combo because it really leans steep on its stand and I love a centerstand to work on it.
So hopefully that mounts with no problems.
Other then those few things im trying to keep it as original as I can, just clean it up a little

Really cant do anything with the exhaust as that sticks out big time but since the engine isnt stock either I can live with that little change

I was able to get to 45 speedo flat grounds, but I really need one more gear
Feels just like any bike ive been on, you can tell your in fourth and if I only had one more!!!!!
So it will cruise at 35 no problem, blast up to 40
Basically ride it like my stock ruckus but alot more acceleration and great hill climbing

Had my first COP test, rode right by one parked on my street. Thankfully I have the registration in my name on me, all this time I didnt have it yet so I didnt try to venture out too far. Im not sure if your allowed to drive a vehicle if the title and registration wanst processed in your name yet. Or if you have some sort of grace period.

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:43 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Been slowly adding stock type or cleaning up parts on the bike.
Got new tires looks exactly like stock, got a used chain guard that was missing when I got it from e bay. Got a new seat, and a latch from e bay so it will lock closed.

New headlight ring as mine was taped on, fixed the front brake by adding a recoil spring so the lever springs back, instead of staying half pulled. Put new cover over some wires same type of covers as stock had. Just to keep weather out as they were falling apart.

Was running into problems with the engine. If I would down shift from 3rd sometimes it would slip into neutral. Not alot but enough to bother me. So I swapped in the brand new engine from my pitbike. It worked great but I grew tired of having a hard time finding neutral and the clunky shifting.
The type of clutch it uses you must be in neutral to start the engine and cant touch the clutch. So if you stall in traffic you must bend over and try to roll it into neutral then start it.

I ended up buying a new engine that uses a different shift pattern and can be started in any gear. It also shifts like all my old bikes. This one is N, 1, 2, 3, 4 so its really easy to get into neutral rolling to a stop.
Its also a 140cc but I would of taken a 125 just none available at the time. I read this shift pattern is the most strongest or the least issues with slipping out of gears.

Because of this I had a small issue with the new location of the clutch lever on the engine, hitting my exhaust pipe but all you need to do is bend the arm down.
It also came with no way to supply power for my lights so I had to pull the stator plate from the old engine and swap into the new one. Thankfully the flywheel puller that fits honda, zuma, china engines also works with this one.

I also decided to use the new carb it came with, which ended up being a mistake.
I think I spent 4 hours tuning the carbs last night. I ended up going with the carb I had already jetted with the old engine and the intake manifold.

I was up until 11:30 going back and forth in the hood popping and bogging until I changed to the old carb and intake.

This engine came with a sprocket 2 teeth larger. Which adds top speed. It also makes it really nice to ride now as the gearing is more like a street bike. I may look into the next size sprocket too. I havent got a top speed yet still breaking in the engine. Seems to run at the same oil temp.
This engine has oil cooler banjo fitting already installed, so adding a cooler later is easy.

Engine seems to be better quality then off the shelf china engines. All bolts have paint lines showing its torqued like when you buy a brand new bike. Has NGK spark plug already. Only about $100 more then the previous smaller engine I had.

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

had an issue with my headlight, the key caused the light to go on and off. I think the contacts inside the key are dirty but instead of trying to figure a way to fix that I just ran the low beam directly off the rectifier. It puts out 6v AC. So now the light its really bright only because its a clean source of power
And when I use high beam, still off the key both filaments come on and make a huge light image far away. But at idle with high beam on the lights are really dim until I rev it. But I will just use low beam only all the time and high beam rarely

Also had the speedo bulb burn out the other day so had a new one got that working now. Nice to be able to see speed at night again.

Put on an oil cooler today. Though it would be bolt on but of course had to do some grinding and some head scratching. Also had a set of bad crush washers and caused a leak. Luckily I had another used set that worked fine. Could of got one for cheap but it uses smaller lines and has to mount from the top, so I would have to make a bracket. This one was alot more but came with a bracket that mounts on the intake and uses larger lines I guess to move more oil.

So far after 2 runs its only cooling -25F
I was hoping for more. Its also very ugly and large. At least I will feel safer going full speed now, as long as the cooler holds up. Still need more miles on it before im assured all the lines etc. will hold up.

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Tue May 15, 2012 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next