View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 which 70cc kit for vino 2t? 
Newb
Newb

Post which 70cc kit for vino 2t?
hey all. it seems pretty dead in here but i'm hoping this will still garner some attention. i'm looking to speed up my 02 vino 2t. it's unrestricted, stock and pretty. i'd like to speed it up without sacrificing reliability. I saw a kit the other day for a zuma that had a malossi cast iron kit, wild lion exhaust, main jet, variator and a spark plug. my main concern is that it's cast iron becuase i live in a place that gets 90 + degrees F in the summertime. Are my concerns valid and i should go ahead and get aluminum? if so does anyone have any recommendations for kits? i'd like to get the bbk first, then get a new crank later, then get a overrange kit and finish with the exhaust but if a kit comes with an exhaust i can splurge extra now and get it. last question now and the one that bothers me the most. is there anywhere i can find the RIGHT carbon fiber reed for the Vino? it seems anywhere i order a kit from is going to send me a wrong one. am i fine reusing my stock one if i can't find one?

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:15 am
Scooterologist

Post Re: which 70cc kit for vino 2t?
I went with the cast iron Malossi because I wanted reliability over performance. I already had a bigger carb and pipe from a previous owner's build. Last weekend, I hit 55 mph verified on my GPS. You can read about my build here.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27649

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:16 pm
Newb
Newb

that's cool. i guess i should browse over in the zuma area as well as it seems that's more alive than the vino villa. i saw in your thread that you avoided riding in 100F weather. would you still avoid riding in hot weather if it was aluminium? I've heard the C.I. is more reliable then i've also heard that it's an old wives tale. Right now i ride it WOT to work and back nearly everyday(25 mi a day). a couple days a week i'll ride it for 50-60mi at mostly WOT. if i get it up to 55 i'll probably still ride it close to WOT. Would the CI be a good fit for that? I'm fine with something i have to keep my eye on but i'd like it to last at the same time.

Lastly i just wanted to say that is one SWEET looking vespa. I've been looking for a couple myself as I love their looks. I found a rust bucket of a p200 near me all kiitted out for only 500 bucks, im going to go look at it next week. i really want to get a p200 rat rod and a 50's allstate sears vespa. =D

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:48 am
Newb
Newb

i got some more questions for you as i probably will go with the malossi cast iron kit.

if i get JUST the cast iron kit to start with what would you get along with the kit?

are you able to use the electric starter on your scooter with the bbk on it w/o any issues? if not is there a way i can get that to function?

Will i need to mess around with the oil/gas ratio? if so, do i need to premix gas with the bbk on it? if i do, is there a way i can get the auto mixer to increase the oil/gas ratio to compensate for the bbk? If i can't, where's a good start to know how much oil/gas i need to mix for it.

lastly, i'm sure you're going to recommend the LV TT, but is there any other pipes you could recommend that would compliment the malossi cast iron well? idk why but i either want my pipe to be stock quiet or obnoxiously loud but no effect on the performance. im deaf so i have no idea why i want this.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:07 am
Scooterologist

vail757 wrote:
i saw in your thread that you avoided riding in 100F weather. would you still avoid riding in hot weather if it was aluminium? I've heard the C.I. is more reliable then i've also heard that it's an old wives tale. Right now i ride it WOT to work and back nearly everyday(25 mi a day). a couple days a week i'll ride it for 50-60mi at mostly WOT. if i get it up to 55 i'll probably still ride it close to WOT. Would the CI be a good fit for that? I'm fine with something i have to keep my eye on but i'd like it to last at the same time.

The reason I was reluctant to ride was because it was too damned hot out! Lol Nothing at all to do with the cylinder. I went with the cast iron cylinder because it came with a two ring piston. I wasn't wanting a race engine. I wanted to be able to ride anytime, anywhere and not have to worry about things.

vail757 wrote:
Lastly i just wanted to say that is one SWEET looking vespa. I've been looking for a couple myself as I love their looks. I found a rust bucket of a p200 near me all kiitted out for only 500 bucks, im going to go look at it next week. i really want to get a p200 rat rod and a 50's allstate sears vespa. =D

Thanks! It's a cool old scooter for putting around town, but it's a little clunky and quirky to ride every day. Plus, it's kind of a dog but we are gonna work on that this winter hopefully.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:27 pm
Scooterologist

vail757 wrote:
i got some more questions for you as i probably will go with the malossi cast iron kit.

if i get JUST the cast iron kit to start with what would you get along with the kit?

You could buy the complete bbk from http://www.ScooterPartsCo.com for $125 shipped. It comes with everything you need although I bought a new upper rod bearing from Yamaha just to be safe. To take advantage of the bigger bore, you would eventually want to add a free flowing pipe and bigger carb, but for the moment you should be able to just jet up your stock carb.

vail757 wrote:
are you able to use the electric starter on your scooter with the bbk on it w/o any issues? if not is there a way i can get that to function?

Yes, I'm still using the stock electric starter.

vail757 wrote:
Will i need to mess around with the oil/gas ratio? if so, do i need to premix gas with the bbk on it? if i do, is there a way i can get the auto mixer to increase the oil/gas ratio to compensate for the bbk? If i can't, where's a good start to know how much oil/gas i need to mix for it.

No, I'm still using the stock Yamaha pump although I did run a little 50:1 premix in the tank during break in just to make sure everything was sufficiently lubed. Some people say that the stock pump won't put out enough oil for a bbk but I've got several hundred miles on mine so far with no problems.

vail757 wrote:
lastly, i'm sure you're going to recommend the LV TT, but is there any other pipes you could recommend that would compliment the malossi cast iron well? idk why but i either want my pipe to be stock quiet or obnoxiously loud but no effect on the performance. im deaf so i have no idea why i want this.

I'm not sold on that pipe, it was recommended to me by a friend and it seems okay. Others say they start rusting as soon as you take it out of the box. Mine's a month old and still looks like new. The LV came with weights for the variator and springs for the clutches tuned specifically for that pipe. I liked that.

There are lots of good pipe makers out there and everyone has an opinion on which one is best. I suggest you read as much as you can here and on other forums and decide for yourself which pipe fits your plans for the scooter and how you intend on riding it. Good luck!

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]