View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Michigan winter rider - water in oil / engine compartment 
Newb
Newb

Post Michigan winter rider - water in oil / engine compartment
Please help -

I ride year round, but this is my first winter in Michigan. My scooter was running rough (It's either a 2014 or 2015 YW50FF) and I had the tire and lube guy at Walmart check the oil. It was milky and way over the full level. He said I had water in the oil and I shouldn't ride it until the place I bought it had a look. The mechanic said there was water in the "engine compartment" (according to the oil and lube guy possibly 1/2 gallon). They let it dry out, changed the oil and performed the 500 mile service check.

I ordered a scooter cover (which goes all the way to the ground) and used it after a light snow that occurred a few days after the service was performed. Once again, the oil has "some" water in it - milky, but not as much as before and the oil was't past the full level.

I've been trying to figure out where air can get into the engine so I can figure out where water might get in. Other than water in the gas (which is crappy here - contains ethanol), the only two places I can think of are the exhaust pipe and the air filter. I plan on having the service center replace the oil once again, keep the scooter covered when I'm not driving it, and see if there is still water getting into the oil.

I drove the scooter during non-winter months, even in the rain, and didn't seem to have any problems. I'm guessing the issue has to do with the cold weather and possibly condensation. The other thing I can think of is the radiator fluid.

Has anyone else experienced this? The tarp is the only thing I have to protect the scooter from the weather.

I bought a Linhai from the same place and had a ton of issues, mainly with the carburetor jet size (but also with water).

Equally important, is how am I supposed to wash the salt off the scooter if it can handle water in the winter??

If someone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful :)

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:02 pm
Newb
Newb

Post Re: Michigan winter rider - water in oil / engine compartmen
Did you ever find out what the problem is ? I ride mine off and on year round, in all weather, wash it about once a week, and pushed it through a flooded street once, and have never had any problems with water (almost 20,000 trouble-free miles on it.) Sounds like some kind of defect.

Also, just so you know, checking and changing the oil is super simple--2 bolts is all it is, one on the bottom and one on the side.

Good luck.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:03 am
Newb
Newb

The only thing I was told is that Yamaha says it's not supposed to be ridden in winter (namely below freezing). Somehow water is condensing somewhere in the engine after the snow/ice melts. I don't know if you have a garage, but mine is basically unprotected in winter.

Ever since it warmed up, I've had no problems.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:44 pm
Newb
Newb

I am going to find out if there is anyone on Ask.com that can answer the question. Every idea i posited fell through according to most mechanics ideas. I refuse to believe that Yamaha says the scooter can't be driven in the winter without making some kind of disclaimer in their owner's manual.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:42 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Let's see the first thing that makes me wonder is how the thing ran with a half gallon of water in the eninge. Engine oil is 1 quart that amount would cause sever issues and onky way to get that amount I n an eninge of this size would be to submerge it under water
Next issue is walmart tire and lube guy

Like I said before there is no reason these things can't be ran in the winter
It has nothing to do with ethonal in your gas. You do know that stuff called heat that you add to your gas to prevent b the fuel from freezing is alcahol right

I have tens of v thousands of miles on scooter running e10 and never a fuel related issues

Your scooter runs a liquid cooled 4 stroke engine so just like your car they don't tell you you can't run a car when it's cold do they the ethonal doest pUT water In your oil in your car does it

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]