View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hello there. 
Newb
Newb

Post Hello there.
Hey, guys. Just procured a 2005 Zuma and am having a blast scooting around town. Is there a forum on basic maintenance and dos/don'ts for daily operation?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:14 am
Scooterologist

Post Re: Hello there.
You'll find the basic maintenance in the owners manual. If not, you can download the manual somewhere on the forum.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:19 am
Newb
Newb

Thanks. Just found the maint schedule. I filled the gas tank and topped off the 2 cyc oil yesterday w/o running the bike. A couple hours later as I was about to go for a ride, I noticed a large puddle of 2 cyc oil. Haven't had any leaks or probs before this. Rode the bike a couple miles, no probs, runs good. No sensor light. Did I over fill it? How do you properly check the 2 cyc oil level?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 am
Scooterologist

I'm no pro by all means~ As u can see my title is a noob.

There is an eye level (plastic bulge) when you open up the cap. If u clean the rubber good, it'll show a small picture of where is the top up line.
If you take out the fairings and the seat, it's only one hose that leads down, trace that and you can see if it's tightly put in. I believe there is a clamp at the end of the hose, I would just open it up and take a look~ Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to take apart to look. Also gives you the chance to experience it first hand where everything goes if you haven't opened it up.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:36 pm
Newb
Newb

Yeah, so I DIY'd it. YouTube'd a few vids, and took things apart to get a view/access. The oil reserve tank was filled to the brim and it had already leaked a good bit, so I'm pretty sure overfill was the issue, lol. It was backing out through the oil level sensor (which I've just recently read have a tendency to fail at the seal). I dumped some excess oil out and wedged a piece of rigid foam on top of the sensor (rather than seal it with tape or RTV adhesive, etc., which I also just read/watched about), as Idk if the sensor seal failed necessarily, or just allowed the excess oil to back out that way. Either way it still runs good and I got a good look and a better understanding of things. Thanks!

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:02 pm
Scooterologist

Hello and welcome

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:04 pm
Scooterologist

Kake1031 wrote:
Yeah, so I DIY'd it. YouTube'd a few vids, and took things apart to get a view/access. The oil reserve tank was filled to the brim and it had already leaked a good bit, so I'm pretty sure overfill was the issue, lol. It was backing out through the oil level sensor (which I've just recently read have a tendency to fail at the seal). I dumped some excess oil out and wedged a piece of rigid foam on top of the sensor (rather than seal it with tape or RTV adhesive, etc., which I also just read/watched about), as Idk if the sensor seal failed necessarily, or just allowed the excess oil to back out that way. Either way it still runs good and I got a good look and a better understanding of things. Thanks!

Glad things worked out for you.
Ive also recently owned my scooter not long ago. I read one part that interested me and had me checking.

Open your gas cap, flip it upside down, there should be two screws, make sure it's tight. Otherwise, you might be fishing for them in your gas tank.

Me and my colleague both bought one at the same time.
Mine was fine, his was almost going to fall off.

Just thought I share my experience with you.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:50 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

You will find all sorts of info on this board from maintenance to mods

The service manual link can be found on the zumaforms.net home page

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]