View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Do scooters have titles? 
Newb
Newb

Post Do scooters have titles?
Found a 2013 zuma for $1,000, so I scooped it up.

Seller said he would go to the DMV and get the title.

Couple days later seller says you dont need a title just a bill of sale, and tells me that the dmv instructed him to tell me to bring the bill of sale in and I could register the scooter.

This is in Colorado.

Do 50cc and under sccoters not have titles?

Im moving to Georgia soon and dont want to bring a scooter with me without a title if I need one.

thanks-

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:55 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: Do scooters have titles?
You got scammed.....NEVER EVER BUY A VEHICLE WITHOUT A TITLE.

Stage 6 HPC 12MM
Stage 6 R1200 exhaust
Stock airbox snorkel out.
Malossi VL12 reed cage
MHR Over range
MHR Delta clutch w/ wing bell, Black springs, Red Malossi Contra.
Dellorto PHBG Black racing 21MM
Athena 14/42 Primaries 11:1 gearing
Stage six F1 Glossy Carbon fiber Mirrors
Integrated rear turn signals
dual headlight mod.
Cut and drilled CVT cover
Stage six Mk I Chrome kick starter.
Motul 800 Double ester ran at 25:1
2004 Yamaha Zuma "Clubber" Air Cooled bike, build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24265&p=318426#p318426 Sold Feb 2nd 2014
Top Performances Trophy 70cc
Leo Vince ZX chrome
Athena 15/50 Gears
Malossi Multivar
84 MJ stock carb
Yellow Malossi clutch springs Yellow Malossi Torque spring
Stage Six F1 Mirrors
Stage Six MK II kick starter.
Motul 710
2004 Yamaha R1 "Punisher" sold May 2013 (sad face) stupid legal trouble
Two Brothers dual exhaust.
1987 Yamaha FZ700 stolen September 4th 2012 "Scorcher"
4-1 Vance and Hines full exhaust
K&N airfilter in stock airbox
Stage 2 Dyno jet kit.
1974 Yamaha RD250: Sold April 2nd 2011 "Arty"
TDR Hyper tension reeds
K&N air filter

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:00 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

oceantrav wrote:
Found a 2013 zuma for $1,000, so I scooped it up.

Seller said he would go to the DMV and get the title.

Couple days later seller says you dont need a title just a bill of sale, and tells me that the dmv instructed him to tell me to bring the bill of sale in and I could register the scooter.

This is in Colorado.

Do 50cc and under sccoters not have titles?

Im moving to Georgia soon and dont want to bring a scooter with me without a title if I need one.

thanks-

hopefully its not financed, took the money and sold you a bike that still has a lien holder on it
and if it was his to begin with and not stolen
because he should of got the title once its paid off in full
around here its about 14-30 days to get a title once paid for

if my harbor freight trailer comes with a china title, im pretty sure a major brand name scooter will come with one

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s
2007 Honda Metropolitan FOR SALE

Image Image Image

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Louisiana ... always get the title.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:55 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Check with the state yourself
Some states issue titles some issue transferable registration and others issue nothing
If you move from a state that isdues nothing to one that requires titles good luck

With it being that new there is no reason the seller should not have the manufactures certificate of origin
That pice of paper that came with zumike said was a title that came with his traiker

I know colorado holds titles on cars till they are ckear of loans

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:29 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not all Scooter's or Mopeds have Titles. There are circumstances where you will find them without a state Title.

I have a long story about one, It ended well. But could just as easily had not. so be very careful.

Stage 6 Street Race/12mm Piston,.08 Sq, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT Inner Rotor, Leo Vince GP, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Elf Moto 2XT, Malossi Over-Range Var-38.5 Slider's,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, S-6 Blk Soft Contra, DR HIT Clutch,yellow/no pillow. + STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reedcage, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels, WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Brks

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:47 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

corrosion wrote:
Not all Scooter's or Mopeds have Titles. There are circumstances where you will find them without a state Title.

I have a long story about one, It ended well. But could just as easily had not. so be very careful.

NEW?

we buy bikes here with only bill of sale and its no problem to get them titled
but they were used and had been plated in the past

But I would have figured a brand new bike, should come with something if you OWNED it
if its financed then you wont have any paperwork until paid off

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s
2007 Honda Metropolitan FOR SALE

Image Image Image

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

My son found a Derbi GPR, It was a 2002. It was brand new. It was in Delaware & we live in P.A. He finds this guy used to have a Scooter Shop in a Small Garage. He has this GPR all covered up in the corner. It was dirty but you could tell it was New. Had some labels and tags on it.

He wanted 2,000 for it Cash. He did not have a title for it. He had a factory document from 2002. He could not get it running.
It was a 3 hr drive, and the kid wanted it bad. When we were there. People were showing up all pissed off there scooters were not fixed and the guy was elusive as hell with everyone.

The kid offers him 1,650. He has a screaming fit, and I tell the Boy get in the truck. The guy comes out all apologetic and say's for 1,850 he will let it go. like a dummy I let him buy this bike, no title. And when we get home the Receipt doesn't carry the same name as the guy, or his business. But we have this Msr paper. Or some thing like that, been a while.

Yea, you read right. He paid 1,850 for a non-running bike, with phony burro receipt & no title.. And both tires are flat.
It was a long ride home.

Stage 6 Street Race/12mm Piston,.08 Sq, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT Inner Rotor, Leo Vince GP, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Elf Moto 2XT, Malossi Over-Range Var-38.5 Slider's,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, S-6 Blk Soft Contra, DR HIT Clutch,yellow/no pillow. + STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reedcage, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels, WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Brks

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:20 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Update please

Also, what happened with that Derbi in the end corrosion?

Stage 6 HPC 12MM
Stage 6 R1200 exhaust
Stock airbox snorkel out.
Malossi VL12 reed cage
MHR Over range
MHR Delta clutch w/ wing bell, Black springs, Red Malossi Contra.
Dellorto PHBG Black racing 21MM
Athena 14/42 Primaries 11:1 gearing
Stage six F1 Glossy Carbon fiber Mirrors
Integrated rear turn signals
dual headlight mod.
Cut and drilled CVT cover
Stage six Mk I Chrome kick starter.
Motul 800 Double ester ran at 25:1
2004 Yamaha Zuma "Clubber" Air Cooled bike, build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24265&p=318426#p318426 Sold Feb 2nd 2014
Top Performances Trophy 70cc
Leo Vince ZX chrome
Athena 15/50 Gears
Malossi Multivar
84 MJ stock carb
Yellow Malossi clutch springs Yellow Malossi Torque spring
Stage Six F1 Mirrors
Stage Six MK II kick starter.
Motul 710
2004 Yamaha R1 "Punisher" sold May 2013 (sad face) stupid legal trouble
Two Brothers dual exhaust.
1987 Yamaha FZ700 stolen September 4th 2012 "Scorcher"
4-1 Vance and Hines full exhaust
K&N airfilter in stock airbox
Stage 2 Dyno jet kit.
1974 Yamaha RD250: Sold April 2nd 2011 "Arty"
TDR Hyper tension reeds
K&N air filter

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I bought a "NEW" DERBI GPR, from a scooter shop in, Delaware, had .8 miles on it. He did not have a title. He had a Fancy looking Paper from the Manufacturer, Derbi, Who since 2002, was bought out by Piaggio. I sent it in with the registration papers, I was contacted by Penn-Dot. In writing, I needed to "Take Moped ( Not drive it)" too a State Police Barrack's and have the Vin & condition Verified by the State Police, to obtain the, P.A. Title & Registration. After a visit to the State Police Barrack's. I had a list of repairs need to be done, to get it through The Regristration Process. It took a lot of coaxing and Me having a valid State Inspection license, For Cars, Truck's, Motorcycles. I did the obvious repairs necessary, like a working headlight, Turn signals, Tag holder& Brake lights. Close to a year later and 2 trips to the State Police Barrack's. I had Title in Hand.

It's Vin plate, claimed it was a 50cc Moped, But on the manufacturers paperwork. It was 70CC and had modified gearing and exhaust. The bike, appeared was never run on the road. There were still nibs on the tires and the, brake rotors were un marked from friction. The Exhaust was unburned, and the fuel tank looked & smelled to never had fuel in it. And it Had a sticker on it stating it was for Competiton Use only. Recomended Fuel Mix Ratio, 32-1 Ratio.

It would do 80 mph by time you hit 6th and would top out close enough to 100 to say 100. It would rev to 14-15k. It was a fast little monster..

It had a metal label on it that said OZZ-BIKE and the # 25 stamped into the metal tag.

Well, my son finally lost interest in it. He stoped riding it and ignored it. One day. I found it laying on its side in the Garage, It pissed me off enough, that I put it on Craigslist for the Fall / winter. Never got anywhere with it, then one day.

I was Contacted by a guy from Minnesota that new of the Bike and its history. After like 100 pictures. and 25 Emails, and a few phone calls. he bought it for close to 2 times, what we had paid for it.

He sent a Driver and trailer, to pick it up in the middle of a march Snow Storm, To bring it home to Minnesota. He restored it to original OZZ-BIKE glory and is proud to own it.

They were imported by Cycles Unlimited, Florida. AKA- Ozzie Sanchez. He would converted them, Brand new & untitled. For Mini-Gp track racing. He was the Derbi Importer for the USA. He would Set-Up, limited runs of them, for Mini GP racing and sell them through out the USA.

I later, found out it was a Metra-Kit Top End & Expansion Chamber & a 34mm PWK Carb. The transmission was reworked to a 6 Spd close ratio, and the Gearing for the Chain drive had been modified.

The present owner sent me this link the other day, proving he was correct.

http://www.bayareatwostroke.com/forum/s ... php?t=3575

So.... {sometimes}, it is okay to buy a bike with out a title.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:16 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bought my zuma from a dealer in Maryland, no title as it wasn't necessary in the state.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]