View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Did I break my crankcase seal with improper variator install 
Scooterologist

Post Did I break my crankcase seal with improper variator install
Just finished a new bbk install, everything was great just finished break in...

I am new to variators, I was changing weights and using an impact drill and think I forced it together. The starter plate was jammed on and could hardly get it off. Omg what have I done.

I have spark, 120psi, and plug gets wet. I spray in starting fluid and its kinds half starts. It gives a few chugs, but nothings that sounds like a running engine.

I had put in new carbon reeds, but they had a gap so I put old ones back..no luck.

Am I screwed now?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Last edited by willie634 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Post Re: Did I break my crankcase seal with improper variator ins
Run a leak down test
It will tell you if you have a leak

Did you install the piston properly the arrow should be towards the exhaust port

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:29 pm
Scooterologist

Copy that! Thanks for next step :)

Will make a Leak down test tool

I am making a video of the install. I checked the video and I can see arrow towards exhaust yes.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 pm
Scooterologist

Well thats odd, bottom head gasket is leaking along the top. Wonder why that would be... Torq at 10 ft/lb
(Now that I think of it, I remember the bottom gasket was partly damaged, they packaged it in with the head and it got bent)

I have a question about checking variator crank seal...
Will I have to take the big starter gear plate off to check for leaks there? Or is just taking off the clutch plate(one with 3 springs) enough? Only ask because one of the Philips screw at the top is super tight and stripping.

Pictur of leak
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NqqfNAqDl90bI9B93

New 80cc black trophy
84 Yamaha aftermarket jet (OEM was On backorder)
New jet pin on richest setting (@ sea level)
A/f screw out 1.25 turns out I think..
15/50 gears
Got up to 75km/h

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:02 pm
Scooterologist

Well this is the answer i got from scoot-tuning.com

""You will need to add three bond 1184 (or other sealling product) on both side of the gasket to keep it sealed correctly.
https://www.scoot-tuning.com/TB-1184-GR ... 48-602.htm
never install a bottom gasket without liquid gasket!""

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:06 am
Scooterologist

You CAN over torque that nut (strip it) but it butts up against splines. You will not pull the crankshaft out from the crank case and break the seal by using an impact drill. Just wondering why you would try to pull the starter plate in the first place? The carbon fiber reeds have "polarity" and you probably just needed to flip them or switch their sides. I would suspect if there was a leak where you assume, there'd be some oil or gas in the variator area. Or at least a strong smell of it. Since you have a bigger cylinder, I'd richen your A/F screw(right turn=rich, left turn=lean) since it is 20% some odd larger and may need a bit more gas to keep it running. You must clean the surface and make sure of a complete seal of the mating of the cylinder and crankcase. This will definitely cause issues if you don't. You identified a leak, take off the cylinder and get a new gasket. The compression at 120 you have is for inside the cylinder when the piston is at TDC and not the crankcase. Hope this helps!

JMan

Throttle mod
Stock carb.84mj, needle up one
CF reeds
Wild Lion exhaust
Multivar
Gates +15 belt
107mm winged Malossi clutch assembly
Yellow contra/clutch springs
Doppler Air rear shock
Homemade headlight mod
Top speed 80kph 50mph-Flat
90kph 56mph+Downhill
Max~150km/93miles per tank

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am
Scooterologist

I found a 1/2" O-ring. Does that go on the carb somewhere. I've never taken autochoke off. It was running and all I did was take carb off.

Bike does not even spudded when I kick it wide open...
Bike starts for a second with starter fluid in cylinder... But then nothing. Spark plug gets wet and 120psi. I will take bowl off tomorrow. And hopefully get more ideas from someone here. Can the carb get messed up from being on its side or upsidedown too long?

Half good news is that I replaced the bottom gasket with silicone and leak down test is perfect.

incorrect installing of starter plate did not break crank seal. I had to take out the three springs and rollers, or else something rubs and the main crank doesn't want to spin. So have to kick start to test for now...

Thanks...

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:49 pm
Scooterologist

Cleaned carb and Got er running. Thanks everyone

Still have the starter plate still to deal with... Why doesn't it go back on correctly when I put the 3 rollers in it?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]