View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE - hard to climb up hill 
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: Stock 2004 & 2003 Zuma 50
Post YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE - hard to climb up hill
My fully stock 04 Zuma (12k miles) suddenly doesnt want to climb hills. If I start with decent speed it wont bog down as much but i usually end up going ~10mph while my other scoot does 20+ fine. My 03 stock with 470 miles smokes it uphill every time so I know something is wrong. On flats they both go ~37, but the 04 is slower take off.

I have:
Changed the belt and gear oil 2.5k (9 months) ago (yamaha stock belt and synthetic Lucas 75w-90)
cleaned carb with seafoam spray
cleaned air filter

I plan on swapping over to full 70s (pipes, reeds, rollers, jets, springs, etc) but wont happen until later this summer when I have more time.

Everything I have read indicate the rollers may have flat spots and springs may be loose (possibly low/dead battery?)-- is any of this true? If so: A) how can I tell visually, B) Can I replace it with the gear I plan on swapping out when I do my 70 mod

Much Thanks

Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Post Re: Slow uphill climb, fine everywhere else -- Stock 04 Zuma
The Zuma is not a full dc bike so it has nothing to do with a battery
The 02 to 05 have a crappy rear sheave desing that allows for this as well as a shitty 2 shoe clutch
Upgrade all the part to the 08 to 11

Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Newb
Newb

So if I plan on doing the Athena or bbk 70 kits, can I start replacing some of those parts now or is it best to change those over when I do the full mod?

Tue May 15, 2018 11:17 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 BWS 50, 70cc BBK, Dellorto Racing carb, Technigas exhaust
It is best to replace all the parts at once as they all work together to achieve the final 'tune'. You may also be suffering low compression due to high mileage, which will reduce overall power. It is worth investing in a compression tester imo as it is good to know what your compression is once you install your bbk anyway.

Good luck with the upgrades!

Fri May 18, 2018 5:00 pm
Newb
Newb

Since I plan on keeping it stock while my buddy gets some experience at 50cc (35mph is fast enough for now for him), what should I look at replacing on my 12k scoot? Kinda feel like it just needs a "full" rebuild for how hard and long I ride it for. Im looking at yamahapartshouse.com for all the parts.

Parts are cheap enough that it wont be an issue to replace the worn parts now and then swap everything out to 70 later down the road. Plus sounds fun tearing it all apart.

Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 BWS 50, 70cc BBK, Dellorto Racing carb, Technigas exhaust
At 12k, I imagine most parts still have some decent life left in them. This all depends on how it was ridden, maintained, how heavy the riders were, etc. Normal wear items are belt, plug, transmission oil, tires, brake pads, etc. If you are looking to do some upgrades now, it is a popular upgrade to replace the clutch on earlier Zuma's like yours. Apparently, they have 2 shoe clutches vs the 3 shoe of the later models. If you do upgrade the clutch, pulling apart your torque driver to clean and lube and check for wear is a good idea. The front variator is a very popular upgrade too, and can be tuned to your later upgrades by changing the weights to match. Another fun tweak is to do the 'dual headlight' mod which is easy. It will likely require you to charge your battery once in a while as the stock charging system is just enough to maintain stock configuration. One last upgrade I recommend, and am looking at doing myself, is a louder horn. It helps the wingnuts we share the road with, know when they have made an error :wth:

These 2 stroke Zuma's are solid bikes, and easy to work on. I am sure you will indeed have some fun maintaining, tuning, and modding your ride!

Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]