View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 spark plug cap broke off in plug boot! 
Newb
Newb

Post spark plug cap broke off in plug boot!
Hi,
Yesterday I was checking the spark plug on my father-in-law's Zuma that my wife and I are borrowing. Unfortunately when I pulled the plug boot off the 'cap' of the spark plug came with it! I tried a needle-nose pliers but I can't get the stupid cap to come out of the boot. I'm not sure how to get it out at this point other than drilling it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anything you could offer would be much appreciated

Thanks

Brian

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 pm
Scooter Addict

Post Re: spark plug cap broke off in plug boot!
the cap as you refer to it should screw on to the end of the spark plug, just remove the spark plug and screw it into the cap that is inside the boot and pull it out. The terminal at the top of it should screw off.

First is without the terminal, and 2nd is with...

03 XR50 - IRC scoot tires, motard/stunt goodies
04 SRT4 - Cold Air Intake, Mopar BOV
93 GC Limited - Winter beater

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:54 pm
Scooter Addict

I think he's referring to the screw part broke off inside the spark plug wire cap. With the terminal end screwed on the plug, the spark plug wire cap will not go on, so I don't think thats the issue.

A new cap is $4 from Yamaha. Also, a spark plug wire cap from a Buddy 50 will work in a pinch.

Its really easy to replace, you just hold the wire tight and unscrew the cap counter-clockwise.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm
Newb
Newb

Hi guys,
The screw is still intact on the spark plug. I tried screwing it back into the cap inside boot but when I try to pull it back out the 'cap' stays in the boot. I think the screw may be stripped. I also tried screwing a regular screw into the cap and pulling on it and it ripped the threads off of the screw. Seems that it's stuck in there pretty good.

Any other ideas? How hard is it to replace the spark plug wire? I'd rather not have to do that but it looks like that may be my only option.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:15 pm
Scooter Addict

You're going to need a new spark plug and new spark plug wire cap. If its in there enough to strip threads off a spark plug and screws, its not going to come out.

Not sure how you managed to get the cap onto the terminal in the first place. :lol:

Edit: See my previous post. You only need to replace the end that goes onto the spark plug. It unscrews from the wire. Very easy, took me about 2 minutes and I had never done it before.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:26 pm
Newb
Newb

DeusExMachina wrote:
You're going to need a new spark plug and new spark plug wire cap. If its in there enough to strip threads off a spark plug and screws, its not going to come out.

Not sure how you managed to get the cap onto the terminal in the first place. :lol:

That's the funny thing, it's not my bike, it's my father in law's, so who knows what happened to it before I got it. I'm just trying to return it in good running shape.

Can you point me to any instructions on how to replace the spark plug wire cap? I looked up the part and it looks like I have to buy the whole wire, do you know where I could buy just the cap?

Thanks for your help

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:29 pm
Scooter Addict

3GF-H2370-00-00 PLUG CAP ASSY

There's no instructions because its incredibly simple.

1) Pull down the boot that covers the wire/cap connection
2) Hold the wire firmly in one hand, and twist the cap counter-clockwise
3) Completely unscrew cap from terminal in wire
4) Assembly is reverse

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:35 pm
Newb
Newb

I should have mentioned that the bike is a 2001. I don't see that part listed for the 2001.

When I looked it up on babbitsonline.com the only part I could find is 'SKU: 3WG-H2370-10-00
PLUG CAP ASSY 1 $21.67'. I can't tell from the picture if that is the whole wire or just the cap. Also seems strange that it's so expensive.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:36 pm
Scooter Addict

Oh, crap. I should've looked at your username.

Thats a different engine, so I don't know how its set up. Sorry.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:38 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

I don't think the cap is stuck man. The stock wire boot and the ngk wire boots require you take off the 'cap' and it grabs the threads on the plug. You are going to seriously fornicate up your boot if you keep trying to rip out the contact. It ain't broke, stop trying to fix it.

Motor #1(2008) R.I.P this listed configuration, for it breaths new life under the rule of a new King...ENJOY NICK B!!!: Athena Sport BBK, Ported case, Power 1 HPC crank, Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 24mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter,Malossi drive face, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario - (22.5g), S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller.

Motor #2(2005): To be built.....ported cast iron 48mm bore, 41.4mm stroker crank, Ported case..(the rest of the following I don't have 2 of each...this stuff is coming off the 2008 motor) Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 21mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario, S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller, Athena 15/50's for 12:1 ratio

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:00 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

BiNB is right. The part you are trying to remove is part of the plug cap. You screw off and remove the terminal before you put the spark plug in on a 50. The spark plug cap will only fit on a terminal-less spark plug.
STOP BEFORE YOU DO ANY MORE DAMAGE!!!

Clocks4Bikes Handlebar Clock, Termoscud Lap Apron (seasonal)
VA Tag: 96 MPG
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2012
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2011
Member # 1807
http://www.facebook.com/steven.levine1?ref=name

Gone, but not forgotten:
2008 Zuma 50--FAREWELL PARTY-SEPTEMBER 30, 2010
Co-SOTM November 2009
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2010

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

scooter commuter wrote:
BiNB is right. The part you are trying to remove is part of the plug cap. You screw off and remove the terminal before you put the spark plug in on a 50. The spark plug cap will only fit on a terminal-less spark plug.
STOP BEFORE YOU DO ANY MORE DAMAGE!!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I won't mess with it any more, I'll just put a new plug in. I wish this was documented somewhere, I didn't see it anywhere online or in the tech/owners manuals. Hopefully I didn't mess it up too bad.

Should I buy a new plug cap and replace it anyway? The scooter hasn't been running quite right already so I'd hate to throw another monkey wrench in the mix. Does the plug cap unscrew from the wire or would I have to replace the whole wire?

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

2001zuma wrote:
Does the plug cap unscrew from the wire or would I have to replace the whole wire?

I would think that if the machine still starts then you should just leave it alone and just be grateful that you did not pull it out!

Clocks4Bikes Handlebar Clock, Termoscud Lap Apron (seasonal)
VA Tag: 96 MPG
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2012
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2011
Member # 1807
http://www.facebook.com/steven.levine1?ref=name

Gone, but not forgotten:
2008 Zuma 50--FAREWELL PARTY-SEPTEMBER 30, 2010
Co-SOTM November 2009
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2010

Last edited by scooter commuter on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

2001zuma wrote:
Does the plug cap unscrew from the wire or would I have to replace the whole wire?

Yes. Lefty loosey, righty tighty. It's a 5K plug cap, NGK makes em and a new one never hurts, they cost about $3 at the yamaha dealer or wherever else.

Motor #1(2008) R.I.P this listed configuration, for it breaths new life under the rule of a new King...ENJOY NICK B!!!: Athena Sport BBK, Ported case, Power 1 HPC crank, Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 24mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter,Malossi drive face, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario - (22.5g), S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller.

Motor #2(2005): To be built.....ported cast iron 48mm bore, 41.4mm stroker crank, Ported case..(the rest of the following I don't have 2 of each...this stuff is coming off the 2008 motor) Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 21mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario, S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller, Athena 15/50's for 12:1 ratio

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm
Newb
Newb

backinblack wrote:
2001zuma wrote:

Yes. Lefty loosey, righty tighty. It's a 5K plug cap, NGK makes em and a new one never hurts, they cost about $3 at the yamaha dealer or wherever else.

When I looked up the part on a few different sites it looks like it's about $20. It looks like the newer Zuma's have a different part that is only 3 or 4 dollars, but on our 2001 they are more expensive. Are you sure that the plug cap comes off on the 2001's as well? If so, could you point me in the right direction to find out what exactly I need to order.

Thanks again everyone for your help

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next