View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Newbie and a girl, ah! Battery help 
Newb
Newb

Post Newbie and a girl, ah! Battery help
Hey, I'm new to the forum and scooter world. I bought a 2005 zuma 50 in August. It had about 500 miles on it and minus a scratch or 2 looked to be in great condition. The battery wasn't holding up so I bought and put in a new yuasa battery. I plug it in to my tender every night but it still doesn't want to hold a charge. A friend suggested cleaning the carb but I wanted to ask around also. I'm new at this and definitely not a mechanic, so forgive me if it's a very simple answer but I want to be able to work on it on my own eventually. Thanks for your help! :)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 88.36 KiB | Viewed 1720 times ]
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:44 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Newbie and a girl, ah! Battery help
There's a very good troubleshooting routine near the end of the manual, which you can download somewhere on this site. The first thing you'll need is a digital VOM (volt-ohm meter) to test the charging voltage @ I think 5000 RPM.

But if the battery is draining overnight, it's likely to be a short...which is harder to track down. :(

Maybe jmkjr will post here. He's very good with this kind of issue.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:56 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

And you'll learn to work on the bike. If I can do it, anyone can!

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:57 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do you have the dual headlight kit in? If so, did you change both bulbs to 35w ones? Hhmmmmm, now that I'm thinking on it, it shouldn't matter if your hooking up to your battery tender every nite......I'd check your grounds....btw, welcome in! :cheers: oh, do you do a lotta short rides? You may not be giving your battery enough time to recharge completely....

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:41 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

If she's charging the bike overnight and it's still running down, I think something's gotta be wrong even if she's going on short rides, no? (That's based on my charging system not putting out quite enough charging voltage, so I charge it overnight maybe once a month and it's fine.)

And the headlights run off the stator, not the battery, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It could be the rectifier/regulator, a short, a slightly funky stator maybe...these issues are tough to track down - especially if it's a short. Actually if it's a short then the most practical solution would just be to throw $37 at the problem and replace the whole harness.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:01 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

could be bad grounds
not sure how many frame grounds on that harness
could be a relay sticking on, slowly draining the battery

or just a bad new battery?

the trick is on scooters, if all you do is short slow speed trips
electric start all the time you dont charge the battery

it takes high rpm's to start charging the battery, usually 30 mph or faster just depends

only things that run off battery, if its stock are the tail lights and signals, horn
so if its sitting around warming up all the time, or sitting at stop lights you can drain the battery with just those things running

and worse if you try to put in a 12v socket for a phone or gps

whats the weather like where the bike is stored, inside or outside can affect how the battery charges if its too cold

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess take a test light and look for "leaking" voltage.....if sumpn is supposed to be off and isn't.....but ur right Nick, more than likely it's gonna be the wiring......the harness is only $37????? I didn't know that??!!

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:09 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was wondering if the new battery ever had a full charge ??

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:21 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

jesquivel wrote:
Do you have the dual headlight kit in? If so, did you change both bulbs to 35w ones? Hhmmmmm, now that I'm thinking on it, it shouldn't matter if your hooking up to your battery tender every nite......I'd check your grounds....btw, welcome in! :cheers: oh, do you do a lotta short rides? You may not be giving your battery enough time to recharge completely....

Dual headlight on the 50 cc two stroke doesn't have anything to do with the battery as there is a separate lighting circuit
FYI the 5 2 stroke comes with 35 watt bulbs

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:22 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

:cheers: thanks for the heads up jmk! Would a messed up rectifier cause this issue for her? Oh, and the reason I asked about the bulbs is cause the PO of mine had converted to 65w bulbs....(or we're they 55w? I'm old, I forget!)

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:30 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

First question is how long was it ran with a crap battery
This causes issues with the election system
You will need to fully charge the battery to test the election system per the service manual
When you turn the key check to see if the brake light is stuck on
In your pic your brake light appears to be on this 7 why I ask the brake light will drain the battery when the scooter is running
If your battery is fully charged unplug it from the scoot over night this will tell if it's a drain or a battery
But if your plugging it into your tender every night it should cover a drain if you got a decent tender and not the crazy ones that don't charge when the battery is week

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:33 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's why I was wondering about a full charge on the battery @ purchase.

I see DUAL headlights. I can't tell anything about the brake light. Are you sure !! ??

jmkjr72 wrote:
how long was it ran with a crap battery

You will need to fully charge the battery

In your pic your brake light appears to be on
this & why I ask
the brake light will drain the battery

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:04 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Look at the rack the end is red normally the running li th t isn't strong enough to turn it red. But it co I'll just be the photo too

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:39 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I like how you have an Arai helmet, how did you get that if you're new to bikes? Most newbies don't go buy a Shoei or Arai..Just sayin :D

Check your voltage at around 3-5kRPM and tell us what you get, if you can't get someone to do that.

Stage 6 HPC 12MM
Stage 6 R1200 exhaust
Stock airbox snorkel out.
Malossi VL12 reed cage
MHR Over range
MHR Delta clutch w/ wing bell, Black springs, Red Malossi Contra.
Dellorto PHBG Black racing 21MM
Athena 14/42 Primaries 11:1 gearing
Stage six F1 Glossy Carbon fiber Mirrors
Integrated rear turn signals
dual headlight mod.
Cut and drilled CVT cover
Stage six Mk I Chrome kick starter.
Motul 800 Double ester ran at 25:1
2004 Yamaha Zuma "Clubber" Air Cooled bike, build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24265&p=318426#p318426 Sold Feb 2nd 2014
Top Performances Trophy 70cc
Leo Vince ZX chrome
Athena 15/50 Gears
Malossi Multivar
84 MJ stock carb
Yellow Malossi clutch springs Yellow Malossi Torque spring
Stage Six F1 Mirrors
Stage Six MK II kick starter.
Motul 710
2004 Yamaha R1 "Punisher" sold May 2013 (sad face) stupid legal trouble
Two Brothers dual exhaust.
1987 Yamaha FZ700 stolen September 4th 2012 "Scorcher"
4-1 Vance and Hines full exhaust
K&N airfilter in stock airbox
Stage 2 Dyno jet kit.
1974 Yamaha RD250: Sold April 2nd 2011 "Arty"
TDR Hyper tension reeds
K&N air filter

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:43 am
Newb
Newb

Thank you for all the quick responses! I'm going to try and remember all the questions you guys asked. I'm not sure how long it was running on a bad battery. I found it on eBay and the previous owner was an older guy who didn't ride much. He installed the dual headlight kit and the battery tender cable. When I put the new battery in, I let it charge over night before actually putting it in the scoot so it was fully charged. I ride it to work and around town but was usually pushing its top speed after I got comfortable riding it. I live about 15-20 min from work so it was a decent ride. It's being stored in a garage right now, I haven't ridden it since it got colder in December probably. The biggest red flag I noticed was after a few rides one day I took it back out to go to dinner and by the ride home the horn was almost non-existent and I had to kick start it. I' found the manual PDF so I'm going to look through it! Is there a general consensus of what I should look into first? I'll have to check into the brake light when I see it next. And lastly, the arai helmet isn't mine haha, my ex let me use it until I buy my own. Matches the blue perfectly though! If only I had an extra $700 to buy my own ;)

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next