View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Rear end oil change? 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Rear end oil change?
Few posts above shows a syringe, auto stores sells those too with a small hose attachment. I found mine lists cc's on the syringe and that also equals ml's so the rear end oil will be around 125ml, or cc's. Im going off of memory for the 50cc so make sure to check

Here is the one I got guess its to mix oil but I only use the CC measurement on it.

On the 50cc you can use a long funnel, but for my 125 I needed that little hose it comes with the syringe to get the oil in

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s
2007 Honda Metropolitan FOR SALE

Image Image Image

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:35 pm
Newb
Newb

flapjacks wrote:
Csappo wrote:
Ok, a few things to point out, Oil is Oil. Period. It all comes from 2 sources. Crude, or Man made (synthetic) the only difference between viscosities are, type of friction modifier used, and brand of friction modifier used. Things to note, Valvoline & Quaker sell a lot of oil (both have sold to Wal-Mart) branded with the name SuperTech. One way you can check this is to turn the bottles over, and it will say "manufactured for Wal-Mart ... and an address" Check this address and you will find out what major company sold their oil in different bottles to Wal-Mart and anyone else. These bottles of oil usually run ~1-3 dollars vs. ~2-10

Also, for these friction modifiers to be effective, they must have the right amount/concentration in the oil at all times. When oil gets old or "wears out" all that is changing is that these friction modifiers are wearing out/breaking down. And with only putting in .11/.5cups ... it's going to wear down in the 600 miles. As far as oil is oil, being that it’s a simple gear type transmission, thicker is better always! If it were a high tech Trans with very tight clearances and specifications it would matter if it were too thick, but this is a simple gear type tranny with bearings (thicker is better)

Great post, thanks alot! It's cheap insurance to change it every 600 miles. I think you can get 3 or 4 oil changes with a 1 litre bottle. Its a tiny amount of oil in there, and like you said the friction modifiers would break down quickly with all the heat in there.

Wow. OK lets set the record straight here. WM is a discount store, and as such has their house brand products made to a price point, not a quality point. While both SOPUS (Shell, Pennz, Quaker) and Mobil make "SOME" WM engine oils, neither Quaker or Valvoline make WM gear oil. WPP does. Warren is a Louisiana company, and makes WM, AutoZone private label, and Mag1 products, along with a few other (Meijer) store labels. As far as WM gear oil working, yep it's fine in this application, just don't believe that you are getting Valvoline in this bottle. There are much better gear oils for other applications.
Now, on to weights. 75w140, and 85w140 gear lubes do not have a corresponding engine oil cousin. A 80w90 gear oil is about equivalent to a 10w30 oil. Gear and engine oils are not even similar. That distinct smell from gear oil is from EP additives. Extreme Pressure, which is what you see between gear teeth. Friction Modifiers are in ATF, and engine oils to enable them to flow easily in bearing clearances. While there MAY be FM's in SOME gear oils for positraction, they are not generally present in basic 75 or 80 w 90's. This is really oversimplifying, but bottom line if the spec is for gear oil, engine oil isn't any more right than putting gear oil in your engine. They are not interchangable because they have different enviornments to service.
So what's right? One poster put in RP 20w50. Will it work, yep. But it does not meet the spec, or protect as well as a gear oil. It will shear, and eventually could potentially cause issues with wear. Pre bug eyes, like my 99, do fine on 80w90, while later models spec 75w140. That same 75w140 also does fine in early models, and should probably be a universal choice, depending upon if you are following Yamaha recommendations to the letter.
Lastly, Lucas lovers may want to hop on to this link, and see how they really perform, (or don't). Lucas' success is a marketing agents dream... Take a mediocre product, and make it everybody's favorite. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

beanoil wrote:

Now, on to weights. 75w140, and 85w140 gear lubes do not have a corresponding engine oil cousin. A 80w90 gear oil is about equivalent to a 10w30 oil. Gear and engine oils are not even similar. That distinct smell from gear oil is from EP additives. Extreme Pressure, which is what you see between gear teeth. Friction Modifiers are in ATF, and engine oils to enable them to flow easily in bearing clearances. While there MAY be FM's in SOME gear oils for positraction, they are not generally present in basic 75 or 80 w 90's. This is really oversimplifying, but bottom line if the spec is for gear oil, engine oil isn't any more right than putting gear oil in your engine. They are not interchangable because they have different enviornments to service.
So what's right? One poster put in RP 20w50. Will it work, yep. But it does not meet the spec, or protect as well as a gear oil. It will shear, and eventually could potentially cause issues with wear. Pre bug eyes, like my 99, do fine on 80w90, while later models spec 75w140. That same 75w140 also does fine in early models, and should probably be a universal choice, depending upon if you are following Yamaha recommendations to the letter.
Lastly, Lucas lovers may want to hop on to this link, and see how they really perform, (or don't). Lucas' success is a marketing agents dream... Take a mediocre product, and make it everybody's favorite. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

the reason we have this debate is 2002 to 2005 yamaha spec was engine oil in the gear box and in 2008 they changed the spec to gear oil

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:05 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

yeah my 2005 50cc said engine oil, and even my 2010 125 says 10w30, I used gear oil in the 50cc but since the 125 is brand new im using what they say, even the dealer didnt put gear oil in because it didnt smell when I drained it

Just use what is recommended, cant go wrong that way

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:15 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

ZUMIKE wrote:
yeah my 2005 50cc said engine oil, and even my 2010 125 says 10w30, I used gear oil in the 50cc but since the 125 is brand new im using what they say, even the dealer didnt put gear oil in because it didnt smell when I drained it

Just use what is recommended, cant go wrong that way

so you took it in for a service then you drained it
you do know that they ship with oil in the gear box and 4 strokes in the engine
and they ship with a brake in oil not a stanerd oil that will last

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:49 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I bought it new, they said the mechanics put all fluids in and battery acid before giving it to me, I do all my own work. I was talking about my first oil change I did it didnt smell like gear oil. Took them about 1 hr to get it ready from when I watched them roll it off the floor to the back so thats why im guessing they added the oil, if it comes shipped that way then it had the correct gear oil then

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 pm
Newb
Newb

What is the correct way to check final drive oil level. The owners manual says to check for leaks on the floor. That method doesn't sound very technical to me. There is no dip stick or sight glass, or "full" hole on the rear case. I know the capacity is very little but it would be nice to know how much or little oil is in the final drive.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:12 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

you have to drain it, to see how much is in there. Unless you have a leak, its not going to disappear
and it should never drip on the floor, I dont know where you read that from

auto store may have a syringe with cc markings used for 2 stroke oils. Its the same as ml. Just squirt in what it takes, I think its 100ml or somewhere around there

there is no need to worry about how much is in it, just dont put to much in it

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:52 am
Newb
Newb

The manual stay look for leaks.. it seems like burro backwards system that the only way to inspect the oil level is to drain it. Also inspecting oil level is only half of the inspection. Looking at the color for sign of wear and contamination is just as important imo especially on break in.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:23 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

well what can I say, you drain to check it and fill with the proper amount and your done

I usually change every 600 miles, since its such a little amount
IM working on getting a magnetic drain plug for my 125 gear oil bolt, just to keep an eye if there are any metal shavings building up
Not much more you can do

how often do you see trucks with a window to check the rear end diff oil, like never
you drain and refill those

2010 Zuma 155cc

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s

Image Image Image

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:34 pm
Newb
Newb

All the truck i've worked on use the fill hole as a level indicator and the bws is no truck. All my dirt bikes in the past either had a sight glass or dip stick.

The magnetic plug is a good idea. 100cc of oil is barely anything. If it leaked inside the case you would even know until it was to late. It would be a good idea to remove the fill plug and check for pressure release on a regular basis. That would indicate the vent is plugged.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am
Newb
Newb

I used clear plastic bottle w cover looks like its used for ketchup i marked it and add oil its clean and not messy

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

im sure if it leaked inside the belt cover you would know
as your belt would be sliping big time the gasket and seal are right around your clutch

i simply change my oil every 2000 miles when i service the scoot instead of draining to measure it

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

FYI, Petco has the plastic syringes for like 3 bucks. Picked one up the other day.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

soupcan wrote:
All the truck i've worked on use the fill hole as a level indicator and the bws is no truck. All my dirt bikes in the past either had a sight glass or dip stick.

Your dirt bikes have a gear final drive?

Serenity: 155 cc kit w/ WPC treatment on piston, High lift cam, 140 cc/min injector, KOSO Delta clutch, 1000 RPM contra spring, TST variator with 10g/12g rollers, Two Brothers Exhaust w/ P-3 powertip, rear LED signals, Yamaha rear rack, Heads-up battery display, Power Mate, Scratch built footpegs and front rack, Yamaha Majesty gears, Yamaha BWS 125 short windscreen.
http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14734

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next