View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 changing spark plug 
Newb
Newb

Post changing spark plug
I just signed up for this forum b/c I'm desperate. My scooter ('05 Zuma 50cc) won't start and I think it's the spark plug. Since I can't get it to the mechanic, I figured I'd change it myself. I bought a pre-gapped spark plug (since I don't have tools), and there is apparently a spark plug tool in the underseat storage, which I found.

However, I can't find the spark plug! Everything I look at (even the manual that I found here) says it's in the battery compartment. Nothing is in the battery compartment except the battery. Do I need to take the cover off the battery or remove the battery to look beneath it or something? There is nothing in there except the battery. I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I'm also not an idiot. I know what a spark plug looks like, and I can't see it. I've even taken off a few more panels. This thing is practically disassembled in my back yard, and I can't find the frakkin' spark plug. Please help!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Zuma
Post Re: changing spark plug
Once you take the battery cover off, the spark plug wire and boot will be behind the battery and battery box. You should be able to see the ground once you take the battery cover off, the spark plug is back there, under the seat.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:52 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
first off there is no such thing as a pregaped spark plug
they are made for multiple aplications and they gap can get screwed up in manufactureing packing and shipping
so unless the guy at the parts counter checked to ensure the gap is 0.024 to 0.028 your gap may not be right

you wont actauly see the spark plug you will see the spark plug wire and boot the plug is down inside the cooling shourd on the head
once you find the boot and remove the boot you will see the spark plug

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:12 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks a lot! I realized what the problem was. I was assuming that the wire attached to the spark plug was some thin thing that fit on the end of it. I didn't realize the whole plug would be covered with a rubber thing. I was looking behind the battery under the seat like you said, and I saw this large rubber thing, and I just yanked it, and there was the spark plug sitting there as pretty as you please! Thanks so much!

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:13 pm
Newb
Newb

is the location the same for a 2014 Zuma 50fx? I'm having trouble locating the "wire boot to the spark plug". can someone confirm the location on the 2014 zuma fx? i have taken apart the floor board and disconnected the battery. Im not sure exactly what I should be looking for but I do have alot of area exposed so i must be getting close to finding this "wire boot" thing that connects to the spark plug!

please help!
thanks

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:39 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
Yes Spark plus is the same place
You can find it 2 ways .
The first one works for scooteres without access cover and zumas
Put the center stand down
Look under the scooter just ahead of the center stand you will see a wire heading into the front of the engine .
This will be in the centerline of the scooter just above where the exhaust pipe comes out of cylinder head .
Follow the wire with your hand and you will feel the boot .
You will have to give it a slight tug to get it off the Spark plug .

The zuma makes it easier with the access cover

Take the battery access cover off the floor board .
Look for the wire that is near the centerline going into the front of cylinder .
You will see the spark plug boot .

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:52 am
Newb
Newb

i located the spark plug. when i removed it a bunch of water poured out. i was able to disconnect the wire from the boot but the plastic piece is like pinned onto the old sparkplug. im actually on my way to the dealer to see if i can purchased a new plastic boot so i can just put the new sparkplug in and be done instead of trying to seperate the plastic from the old spark plug unless there is some easier way to get this plastic piece off the old spark plug? its literally spinning but sparkplug but i cant get it out of the plastic boot? any suggestions as i feel like getting a new plastic piece might be the answer?

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:20 pm
Newb
Newb

opps i think i located the thermostat! looks like i will have to follow directions you gave me and find this boot hiding the spark plug...

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:08 pm
Newb
Newb

ok so i finally changed spark plug and i hear the fuel prime and i took cover off and see belt spinning but the engine will not kick over and start. does anyone have an next troubleshooting steps because the scooter was driving fine then it bogged down and then bogged down again and engine died. please help

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:45 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I sent you a pm for a possible simple fix
For the more complex use The c3 service manual on the forums .
If you don't have your own manual .
Same engine Fuel Injected .
Ideally you would have it downloaded on a tablet.
Section 9 page 331 is the troubleshooting page for hard starting

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe derestricted stock variator stock carb 72 mikuni main one clip rich
45 mph still breaking in Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 82 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:39 pm
Newb
Newb

im not sure if the cyclinder or the piston have worn out? how would i test those problems. compression test? and how do i preform that! im just wondering why one day im riding fine the next day i bog down a little and then completely die on the side of the road?

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 pm
Newb
Newb

i dont think i have an error codes? i dont think the engine light has flashed or anything. i just learned about this and i want to look into this further

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Compression test the old fashioned quick way was the fat finger method
Remove the spark plug .
Take your fattest finger that will cover the hole tightly
Do not put it in the whole Because in Just a second when your buddy cranks it over the piston is going to come flying toward the Top of the cylinder.
It will Push your finger away very quickly if you have good compression .
This is how my Grandpa taught me when i was a kid at his snow mobile shop.
To get any engine running fuel spark and compression
for Fuel
Take the spark plug wire off
Crank the engine over a few times
Look for a wet plug Wet plug means we have fuel

He would have me take the spark plug out ground it to block and look for Spark
and last he would have Fat finger for compression .

One of those 3 would have us moving in right direction.

The safer way buy a gauge from Home Depot and Lowes Autozone screw it in to spark plug hole and get a compression reading.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:26 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I woud pm Jmkjr72 and see if he will chime in
About this he has swapped a carb fed zuma to fuel injection on his own scooter.
And fixed and helped fix a ton of scoots on here .
He will steer you like I am trying to rule out the simplest fixes first .

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:40 am
Newb
Newb

ok so i tested the 3 steps:
blew my finger away so i have compression
Spark plug dry so i have no fuel delivery
I have spark on the plug.

Ok what do i do now, i have the newer 2014 fuel injection. can someone point me to a link that discussed what to do with no fuel delivery or tell me where i can i replace or test something faulty in the fuel delivery problem:

Thanks!

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next