View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 " mx style handle bars " 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Tp 70cc,next r,vforce 3 reed block,s6 variator,stock carb 86 mj,vee rubber 119c tires,med contra,stiff clutch springs
Post " mx style handle bars "
so i convinced myself to go ahead and do the mx style handle bar set-up. my question is, have any of you guys done this? if so i was wondering if you could put a parts list together of eveything i'd need? i'm sick of ordering a box full of parts and realizing i forgot something. Thanks in advance.

L/C S6 R/T 95, S6 R/T 44/90 crank, S6 95cc Big Bore Pipe,Trenched and Ported Cases, MVT DD19 Iggy, MXS Intake with KX 85 Reeds, Malossi Overrange , Keihin PWK 35mm carb, UNI air filter, Doppler 14/42, Dr.Pulley HIT Clutch ( 8000 rpm engagement ), Stage6 433 R/T clutch bell, Premix 32-1.

2001 Zuma (Pre-Bug)
MXS Race 70cc, 28mm PWK , S6 Big Valve, SR-1 Crank, S6 R1400 Pipe, Malossi Overrange

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2003 Yamaha Zuma Dual Headlight Mod
Post Re: " mx style handle bars "
This is something that I'm getting ready to do myself, I already have all the parts for the conversion I just need to find the time.

You're going to need

new bars
new handlebar stem
and a new speedo

TP Tophy BBK
Stock airbox-w/UNI filter pad and snorkel removed
Dellorto PHBN 17.5mm carb-90 main/30 pilot/50 starter jet A12 needle w/clip at middle notch (still tuning)
Polini Evo reeds
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stage6 Pro Replica
Malossi Multivar-33gr total weight
Malossi Delta clutch- red MHR springs and MHR weights
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Rear Pulley Assembly from an '08 Zuma
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers
JDM Fender With Clear Lenses
flush mount front turn signals

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: '08 zuma 50 & '06 vino 125
Attachment:
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 8502 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0035.JPG [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 8502 times ]

your gonna need new grips too as the left one is really glued on the bars good. also you will probably need to buy some super strong magnets from thinkgeek.com. cause there isnt much room by the rotor for the magnet screw and censer. then just super glue one to the edge of the rim.

top performance trophy bbk, stage6 hpc crank, top performance 50/15 primary final drive gears, ncy forks, doppler rear shock, style pro handlebars, ncy handlebar mount, acewell 1500 speedo, 86 main jet, needle from an '05 carb raised 2 notches, t-mod, snorkel removed, leo vince zx-r, dual headlight, led tail light, stage6 f1 mirrors, pirelli sl26 130 tires front & back, ballistic evo2 4cell battery, jdm rear fender with intergraded turn signals, intergraded led turn signals front, replaced 75 screws and bolts with blue aluminum allen screws, str8 grips, str8 oversized fan, malossi white torque spring, torque spring bearing, stage6 levers, stage6 kick start, stage6 vforce3 reed cage, malossi mutivar, 7g variator weights, malossi drive face, stage6 r/t clutch with red springs, stage6 r/t 433 clutch bell, throttle up garage door opener, trimmed rack, vented transmission cover

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:13 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: Tp 70cc,next r,vforce 3 reed block,s6 variator,stock carb 86 mj,vee rubber 119c tires,med contra,stiff clutch springs
Thanks.... Is anyone using the stage 6 throttle and controls? I'm not going to use any of the stock stuff just wondering what your guys opinion is on BCD products as I plan on using a mixture of stage 6 and BCD stuff on the conversion. As for a tach and speedo I want something small and it has to do both. I've been looking at the stage 6 one but not sure if it can be connected to the stock speedo censer. I don't wanna run magnets and what not to make it work I want it as clean as possible.

L/C S6 R/T 95, S6 R/T 44/90 crank, S6 95cc Big Bore Pipe,Trenched and Ported Cases, MVT DD19 Iggy, MXS Intake with KX 85 Reeds, Malossi Overrange , Keihin PWK 35mm carb, UNI air filter, Doppler 14/42, Dr.Pulley HIT Clutch ( 8000 rpm engagement ), Stage6 433 R/T clutch bell, Premix 32-1.

2001 Zuma (Pre-Bug)
MXS Race 70cc, 28mm PWK , S6 Big Valve, SR-1 Crank, S6 R1400 Pipe, Malossi Overrange

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:52 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: '08 zuma 50 & '06 vino 125
I think most the after market speedos use a magnet. Mine looks very clean and has less rolling resistance. The magnet i used is smaller than the eraser on a pensil. It also means you can fine tune your speedo so dead on accurate.

top performance trophy bbk, stage6 hpc crank, top performance 50/15 primary final drive gears, ncy forks, doppler rear shock, style pro handlebars, ncy handlebar mount, acewell 1500 speedo, 86 main jet, needle from an '05 carb raised 2 notches, t-mod, snorkel removed, leo vince zx-r, dual headlight, led tail light, stage6 f1 mirrors, pirelli sl26 130 tires front & back, ballistic evo2 4cell battery, jdm rear fender with intergraded turn signals, intergraded led turn signals front, replaced 75 screws and bolts with blue aluminum allen screws, str8 grips, str8 oversized fan, malossi white torque spring, torque spring bearing, stage6 levers, stage6 kick start, stage6 vforce3 reed cage, malossi mutivar, 7g variator weights, malossi drive face, stage6 r/t clutch with red springs, stage6 r/t 433 clutch bell, throttle up garage door opener, trimmed rack, vented transmission cover

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
if you do not want to run magnets then your sol if you want an all in 1 unit

there is nothing out there for out little 10 in wheels

you could do without the tach and run figure out how to splice in a z50f or z125 speedo

hell i got a mag on my rim for my sigma bike speedo and i doubt you would ever even know it was there once i painted the new pickup bracket that i had to make

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:54 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info guys I think I'll put my order in today, and maybe some pics when it's done. This things starting to look badass everything on it is white and black.

2001 Zuma (Pre-Bug)

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 04 zuma 50, 70cc stg6 streetrace LC kit,mrp pipe, 19mm arrchie carb,ncy clutching,athena upgear kit too much to list
flat black spray paint works great for gluing grips. shoot some inside the grip. slide on the bar, position it and within 30 seconds the paint will bond with the rubber and stick for ever, you pretty much gotta cut the grip off with a razr blade to remove

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:37 pm
Scooter Addict

Gonna ask a few questions because I'm going for this too.

I don't care about the speedo at all. I'm going to pass on that part. I do care about riding position and ergos and I VERY much care about total bar width. Stock the Zuma 50cc is about 24" bar end to bar end. I like to split cars, like a freak. anyone who has seen my videos knows I can't have 28"+ bars on my scoot.

So.. there are Stems to choose from. You have the NCY stem that seems to be used most, is cheap (70 bucks and even on amazon) and it looks not so far off on height.

There's also this one from BCD:
http://www.drowsports.com/product/454/C ... 2mm_-_Zuma

I like the look but it also looks a bit low? The other issue is that you have to use a 7/8 bar and there's not a lot of 7/8 bars that you can trim the width down and still have enough straight bar to put all the controls on.

There are bars like this (MT Bike style) that are nice:
http://www.drowsports.com/product/411/C ... rbon_Style
but the bar points down and is very low so combined with the stem my hands will end up considerably lower than stock.

I can get adapters from my buddy (Driven Racing) to use a Fatbar with the NCY stem. That would alow me to use any MT bike bars inc.

Here's my question...

Does anyone know the actual height comparison between the two available stems and stock?

If I'd like my hands to be about where they are now or slightly higher but NOT any lower)... and I'd like the bars to be no wider than 25 inches but obviously have enough bar to attach the equipment. Is there a tried and true set up?

nicklucas... how wide from end to end are your bars? Obviously they fit the equipment and they look great. Does it feel like the height of the bars (your hands) is about par with stock? If not is it lower or higher? What bars are those? Edt: I see "style Pro" in your sig but can't find them anywhere? Where did you get those? Thanks.

I think I'm going to order the NCY stem as it seems to be the higher and most used one. I like the above handlebars and they're only 25 inches wide but they may be low? If I can get clarity on the height of the stock position VS nicklucas's I will know if I need an adapter/fatbar set up to raise it up a bit or not.

Thanks!

Melossi RHQ 10mm crank
Melossi Over-Range trans
Melossi Delta Cutch/Bell/Blue MHR springs.
Melossi Up-gears
Delorto 17.5 95main
Yasuni C-16 City
Red Melossi contra with 5.5g rollers
Brembo front caliper w/ braided line
NCY rear shock
LiPo Battery
Wheelies and 60+mph all day... or until my rear-end bearings blow up again.

2013 Aprilia SR50. "The wolf in sheep's clothing"
86cc Malossi Team Factory Build by Richard at High Gain Tuning
98mph Indicated
http://highgaintuning.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.html

1977 French Blue RD400 http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/Damon030/media/French%20Blue%20RD400/IMG_3250_zps3d97862f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma, '05 Pipe, Malossi cast iron BBK, Stage6 V-Force reed block w/ CF, BCD Stem, BGM Drag bars, Koso LCD Speedo
I have The BCD stem on mine with these bars. http://www.drowsports.com/product/412/Chassis___Steering/Controls/BGM_22_2mm_Handlebar_Black_

I love the setup! the stock controls fit back on great. the bars are probably about 3 or 4 inches lower and maybe 2 or 3 inches forward. The bars have less sweep than stock as well which is nice. I used to have to ride sitting on the passenger part of the seat to not feel cramped, now sitting on the normal part is awesome.

I went with this speedo/tach because it does everything. it displays temp or fuel as well as displaying speed and tach at the same time.http://www.drowsports.com/product/735/Electrical/Gauges/KOSO_Digital_LCD_SpeedoMeter_-_Black

It does use magnets for the speedo but they slip into the hex heads for the rotor and the bracket for the pickup is clean.

I know the last post is kind of old so if anyone wants i can take pics of the setup tonight, just let me know.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:41 am
Scooter Addict

Thanks for the info Slowgoin'... I appreciate it. I would love to see some pics of your set up. It is interesting about your riding position comments. I find the stock bars to be to low and find myself trying to get down so to speak at speed especially in corners. If I scoot back at all up onto the hump the ergos feel terrible and I feel way to high. I'm actually thinking about bringing my seat to a shop and having them cut like 2 inches out and form it into a solo seat without the middle hump bc I hate being high so much. Me thinks those bars/stem would make things far worse.

I'm leaning towards bagging it bc of the fuel gauge issue. I don't care about speedo, I don't run turn signals and I don't need any of that other dookie. But I run my scoot on 100oct and don't fill up at the pump. I sorta need a gas gauge and there's no way in hell I'm spending $400+ to do this mod which really amounts to bling. But I would still really like to see your set up.

Damon

Melossi RHQ 10mm crank
Melossi Over-Range trans
Melossi Delta Cutch/Bell/Blue MHR springs.
Melossi Up-gears
Delorto 17.5 95main
Yasuni C-16 City
Red Melossi contra with 5.5g rollers
Brembo front caliper w/ braided line
NCY rear shock
LiPo Battery
Wheelies and 60+mph all day... or until my rear-end bearings blow up again.

2013 Aprilia SR50. "The wolf in sheep's clothing"
86cc Malossi Team Factory Build by Richard at High Gain Tuning
98mph Indicated
http://highgaintuning.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.html

1977 French Blue RD400 http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/Damon030/media/French%20Blue%20RD400/IMG_3250_zps3d97862f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

SlowGoin' wrote:
It does use magnets for the speedo but they slip into the hex heads for the rotor and the bracket for the pickup is clean.

Do you have a picture of such a setup? Specifically the magnet. I noticed a magnet in one of the hex heads of a wheel's brake disk I got for free and wondering if it's used for that. Also is there a way to remove them once they're in there? Cause I cant grab it with pliers...

'94 Yamaha Jog - MHR BigBore 77cc, Yasuni C30, Stage6 HPC 12mm, MHR Digital Direct + EPROM 3 CDI, Dell'Orto VHST 28mm BS, Stage6 Big Valve intake, Stage6 NBR reeds, Malossi MHR Overrange 2005, Stage6 Torque Control + Stage6 CNC 450g bell, 14/46 primary gears

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 am
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: '09 Zuma, '05 Pipe, Malossi cast iron BBK, Stage6 V-Force reed block w/ CF, BCD Stem, BGM Drag bars, Koso LCD Speedo
Hey Guys, sorry for the late response. i have a couple basic pics i have of it and ill take some detail ones when i get home from work.

Goshi you can get the magnets back out. just stick something to them and they will pop up on end so you can get them with pliers or all the way out on whatever you stick to them.

photo1 by BLanigan747, on Flickr

photo by BLanigan747, on Flickr

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 am
Scooterologist

ok heres some detail pics of my setup...

heres the wheel speed pickup.
Untitled by BLanigan747, on Flickr

sorry for the crappy ipod pics. heres the magnet set into the rotor bolt head.

I tried to get a seated position picture. my monkey arms arent quite long enough.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:14 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone has a suggestion related to this. I'm replacing my damaged handlebars, but not sure how to remove the brake line from the built in clip. The only thing I can think of is to remove the hose from the mastery cylinder, then slide it out of the grommet, then flatten the grommet to pull it out. But I'm hoping that someone will have a better suggestion.

Mon May 13, 2019 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next