View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Smokey exhaust after engine is warm! 
Newb
Newb

Post Smokey exhaust after engine is warm!
Hey There. I've got a 2002 50 that was sitting for about 1.5 years. I drained the oil and gas, replaced the plug, and inspected the carb to get it running again. However now there is an excessive amount of white smoke out the back end after the engine gets warm.

It has high quality oil and I adjusted the carb to get the idling smoke down...

I checked the forums and couldn't find any similar issues around a warm engine giving smoke.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:01 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
Post Re: Smokey exhaust after engine is warm!
you do realize its a 2 stroke
they burn oil, they will smoke

white probably means moisture
or its just the color of the oil being burnt sometimes its hard to see the real color
but if its really warmed up then its the oil color

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2005 BWS
Since it was sitting for so long, it's probably excess oil in the crankcase. I bought one that had been sitting a little less than yours has, and it blew out one hell of a smoke cloud the first time I rode it up a long hill.

However, after that, the smoke was gone.

You just need to run it hard for a while to burn/blow the excess oil out, and then you should be good to go. Make sure you haven't leaned out the carb when you were messing with it, run it hard, and then hit it with some seafoam in the tank and carb after the smoke starts to clear. You should be fine after that.

TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, Stock Carb 84 Main, Needle 1 Rich, Stock Airbox Snorkel Removed, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, NCY Adjustable Torque Driver, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:52 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

U could also clean out the exhaust......remove the pipe and pour a lil gasoline in there and swish it around....I gotta do that to my old SP3 (there's a loose piece of metal in it and I'm hoping to pour it out)

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:32 pm
Newb
Newb

ZUMIKE wrote:
you do realize its a 2 stroke
they burn oil, they will smoke

white probably means moisture
or its just the color of the oil being burnt sometimes its hard to see the real color
but if its really warmed up then its the oil color

Thank you for such a condescending response!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:10 pm
Newb
Newb

Firehawk989 wrote:
Since it was sitting for so long, it's probably excess oil in the crankcase. I bought one that had been sitting a little less than yours has, and it blew out one hell of a smoke cloud the first time I rode it up a long hill.

You just need to run it hard for a while to burn/blow the excess oil out, and then you should be good to go. Make sure you haven't leaned out the carb when you were messing with it, run it hard, and then hit it with some seafoam in the tank and carb after the smoke starts to clear. You should be fine after that.

This is great advice. Thank you. I will do this asap!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 pm
Newb
Newb

jesquivel wrote:
U could also clean out the exhaust......remove the pipe and pour a lil gasoline in there and swish it around....I gotta do that to my old SP3 (there's a loose piece of metal in it and I'm hoping to pour it out)

I also thought of this, especially since I ran it the first time after the reboot the exhaust smoked even after it was turned off!!

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2005 BWS
hell_bent wrote:
Firehawk989 wrote:

This is great advice. Thank you. I will do this asap!

Yea, it's going to be embarrassing riding around with a giant smoke cloud behind you for a few miles, but it should go away eventually. Find a hill and go up and down a few times.

Again, double check you haven't leaned out the carb, or you could seize your engine doing this.

TP Black Trophy 70cc, Giannelli Reverse Pipe, Stock Carb 84 Main, Needle 1 Rich, Stock Airbox Snorkel Removed, 5g Dr. Pulley Sliders, Delta Clutch with Yellow Springs and Yellow Contra, NCY Adjustable Torque Driver, Malossi Torque Controller, Naraku R-Vent Bell, CF Reeds, Kege Analog Tach, Dual Headlight Mod, N.A. Rear Fender Delete, OEM Short Windshield.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:50 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
Mine smokes more than usual if it has sat for any length of time. I busted my leg and couldn't ride for 9 months. When I finally got back to riding it smoked heavy when first started and then for several minutes after that. After a ride it would also smell funny- half way between unburned fuel and smoke. After a week or so this went away. However do go ahead and clean the exhaust pipe to make sure it is clean.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:01 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Same happened to me S&S.....I didn't ride my scoot for about 3 months and man, that sucker smoked up the neighborhood when I first rode it! But since I'm on it a few days a week, it's been all good! :cheers:

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:12 pm
Newb
Newb

I know this is an older thread, but just discovering ZF.

I recently found a 2002 that had been sitting in a garage for 12 YEARS. Have been spending the past couple of weekends rebuilding it. It seems to have the exact same problem - white smoke coming out of the exhaust after the engine is warm (typically 5-6 minutes of street riding).

Things that I have done:
- Cleaned out the oil reservoir, replaced with proper Yamalube
- Rebuilt and cleaned the carb
- Replaced the air filter
- Degreased everything I can
- Messed with the air mix and idle screws
- Put new gas in it

Things that I have not done:
- Properly cleaned out the exhaust pipe
- Rebuilt the crank case, or really dived into the engine at all
- ???

So at this point, I'm just looking for suggestions. It sounds like hell_bent's description fits my situation too, so I'm wondering if this ever got resolved.

Many thanks!

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Newb
Newb

taquitos. My Honda Spree sat for years and I had same.problem with excessive smoke
I took off the pipe and cooked it on my gas grill for about an hour on high heat. Fortunately my neighbors were not home cuz it smoked up the place. The pipe got super clean however

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]