View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE - MVT DIGITAL IGNITION HELP 
Newb
Newb

YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE - MVT DIGITAL IGNITION HELP
hello i am trying to install a mvt digital ignition on my 05 zuma 50 and am having trouble with the wiring if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
@Goshi

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:09 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Re: installing mvt digital ignition, wiring help
What troubles are you having, and which kit did you get? Bugeyes works like post-03+ european Nitro/Booster, which means the black/white killswitch operation is inverted (meaning the scooter will start with key OFF, and shut down when key ON), and require inverting its signal using a relay. Another CDI which comes in another kit (MVT DD19 if I remember correctly) runs correctly on our bugeyes because the CDI includes a relay to make this work.

It's possible to make the most common kit (MVT DD06) work by using a relay to invert the black/white wire action.

Otherwise it should be straight bolt-on.

If you don't have the starter anymore, you'll also need to separately ground your engine case to the frame. You can use a small ground strap found at auto parts store for cheap or what we do is tuck/hide a regular wire screwed to bare metal on the frame to an unused screw hole on the case (normally one of the starter screws). The reason being that bugeyes are grounded through the starter and the stator and aftermarket ignitions are not.

'94 Yamaha Jog - MHR BigBore 77cc, Yasuni C30, Stage6 HPC 12mm, MHR Digital Direct + EPROM 3 CDI, Dell'Orto VHST 28mm BS, Stage6 Big Valve intake, Stage6 NBR reeds, Malossi MHR Overrange 2005, Stage6 Torque Control + Stage6 CNC 450g bell, 14/46 primary gears

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:54 am
Newb
Newb

I am running a starter for now, i have the MVT DD06 so that it would work with the key but the ignition for me is not a bolt on because the connectors didn't work. the stock wires were a 3 way flat plug and 2 single wires with connectors. This adds up to five wires. The ignition for the MVT DD06 has 4 wires that were all in one plug that was square so i am confused to as which wires go where. I think the B/W wire for the kill switch is the odd man out if I'm not mistaken. Does this mean my kill switch will not work? I can take pictures if need be. i have a service manual and the diagram that came with the MVT (though not that good) and have been trying to follow everything but don't want to mess up my scoot. Thank you for the help

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:44 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

The DD06 should be bolt-on to a bugeye. I forgot to snap pics from my Jog today but it should have a 3-pin connector (with 4 wires going to it) and two single wires. The CDI has a 2-pin connector and a single wire. Colors should be matching.

We swapped frames on a bugeye last week-end and I was the one who re-hooked the ignition on it, and it seemed identical to my Jog which is wired the same as a prebug, which is awfully similar to the bugeyes.

The black/white wire issue means that the MVT DD06 will produce fire on bugeyes while the switch is off, and will stop firing when the switch is on. Usually you'd want that to be working when on, and not working when off :)

You need to use a relay to reverse that wire's operation. I don't know the specifics, but if you know how a relay works, and you have the bugeye schematics nearby, it should come up easily. I believe you need to tap on the ignition's hot power (when the key is on) to activate the relay which will reverse the b/w wire.

'94 Yamaha Jog - MHR BigBore 77cc, Yasuni C30, Stage6 HPC 12mm, MHR Digital Direct + EPROM 3 CDI, Dell'Orto VHST 28mm BS, Stage6 Big Valve intake, Stage6 NBR reeds, Malossi MHR Overrange 2005, Stage6 Torque Control + Stage6 CNC 450g bell, 14/46 primary gears

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:37 pm
Newb
Newb

I called scootertuning.ca back today and they said i have to cut the connectors off of both the ignition and the scooter and wire it in my self. i really didn't want to do this, is there any way you could snap a few pics so i can see if i have the same thing or if they sent me the wrong ignition. i was also mistaken i have the MVT DD19 .thanks

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:35 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25587
Post mvt digital ignition wiring help diagfram for the zuma Bugey
This is a Photo I found online someone Made to help aid in the wiring. Ive not used it but if it helps so beat it.

Attachments:
File comment: YAMAHA ZUMA MVT IGNITION WIREING HELP PHOTO PREBUG BUGEYE AEROX MBK BOOSTER BWS GRAND AXIS
zuma (19).JPG
zuma (19).JPG [ 134.63 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]