View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 YAMAHA ZUMA - Fuel Petcock 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Zuma, Athena alu. Sport 70cc, Giannelli Reverse pipe, NCY variator and clutch, UNI flat filter in 125cc airbox,
Post YAMAHA ZUMA - Fuel Petcock
So I had to remove the carb to install my reeds the other day and the fuel line came off the carb, draining the line (and I think the fuel petcock) of fuel. Now it seems like the bike isn't getting enough fuel and kinda cutts out going up hills and starting off takes more coaxing. I've never used or know anything about these fuel petcock/valves. If I drained it, do I need to do something to prime it so fuel will flow better? Or is there something else causing low fueling in the mid RPM range?

2005 Zuma 50, Athena Race BBK, Giannelli Reverse exhaust, NYC Transmission kit, Dual Headlight LED's, 125cc airbox & filter, carbon reeds in stock block, vented CVT cover, moto style kickstand, moto number plate stickers (+1/2HP)LOL,

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Post Re: Fuel Petcock
First off if the petcock was working properly when you pulled the fuel line off you would have gotten very little fuel out as no vacuum was being pulled

Look to make sure the fuel line is on properly as well as the vacuum line if they are more then 3 to 5 years old replace them and the oil line

Next make sure the intak is on and sealed properly the carb seated properly and the air box on propelry

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:28 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2005 Zuma, Athena alu. Sport 70cc, Giannelli Reverse pipe, NCY variator and clutch, UNI flat filter in 125cc airbox,
Post Re: Fuel Petcock
Dangit, I've done all this a few times still with no luck. I can get the scoot to rev past the sputtering stage if I rock back and forth pushing the handlebars forward (think of that scene in Dumb and Dumber when they're riding up hill to Aspen and the cars are passing them). Everything was running just fine before I took the reed cage out to discover it already had carbon reeds.

2005 Zuma 50, Athena Race BBK, Giannelli Reverse exhaust, NYC Transmission kit, Dual Headlight LED's, 125cc airbox & filter, carbon reeds in stock block, vented CVT cover, moto style kickstand, moto number plate stickers (+1/2HP)LOL,

Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2009 BWS 50, 70cc BBK, Dellorto Racing carb, Technigas exhaust
Post Re: YAMAHA ZUMA - Fuel Petcock
It definitely sounds like something is up with your fuel delivery. Usually, when I take the carb off, I will reconnect the fuel line to the carb, and then take the vacuum line in my mouth (located next to the fuel line), and suck on that to pull fuel back into the carb fuel bowl. If I do not, it takes a while to get fuel back into the carb. When you suck on this line, it should not allow you to pull any significant amount of air out of it. If it does, then you have a vacuum leak. I am not familiar with the auto-shutoff valve on these Zumas, but if priming the fuel line does not work, I would look there next.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25587
I stop using the vacuum style and went with a manual petcock. I just found it works better and this one is a direct swap to not the prebug and bugeye gas tank. What I do is a few 500feet From my stop point I reach my bed and shut the fuel off and when i drive in and shut the bike off that keeps the line clear of fuel. Here is the link

https://www.hqpowersports.com/p/new-fue ... otorcycle/

Sun May 27, 2018 8:32 pm
Newb
Newb

Specalk How do you reach the petcock when you want to turn it on/off?
I dont see any access unless you cut the under-seat box ?

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]