View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE 50 - 2005 + 2008 Frankenscoot advice 
Newb
Newb

Post YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE 50 - 2005 + 2008 Frankenscoot advice
I’ve been buying/fixing/selling scooters for several years, but now it’s time to have a little bit of creative fun with some of my personal scoots...

I know there are a few differences between the 2005 and 2008 Zumas, such as the carb, exhaust, clutch, gearing, etc, as stated in many posts on here... that’s not the info I’m looking for. Here’s my situation:

I have a 2008 Zuma that is bone stock except for the throttle cam mod. On flats, it runs a verified 37mph, which bogs to 30mph going up steady inclines in Denver, CO at around 5,300 elevation. It runs like a champ, but isn’t so easy on the eyes.

I just bought a 2005 Zuma that is in pieces because the previous owner was doing... something... to it. Parts in my garage: a brand new cast iron dual ring BBK (still need to verify the brand), used Athena BBK, stock top end, Leo Vince ZX exhaust, stock exhaust, lots of clutch springs, rollers, and a large box of random parts that may or may not get installed...

I’m a fan of quiet and reliable, so I want to stick with the stock exhaust and I don’t want to go too crazy with tuning. I also have a 2017 Zuma 125 for when I need actual speed, so I don’t need anything crazy out of the 50. I keep a 50 around for friends to use, and because the multi-vehicle discount on Progressive is actually MORE than the cost of insuring a 50, so it actually pays for itself...

The short of it: does it make sense for me to take the best of each of my 50’s to make one solid Frankenscoot that can handle hills without embarrassing me, then sell the other one to somebody who doesn’t care about going over 35mph? I would think I should put the BBK on the 05, but then swap the gears and clutch from the 08 to the 05 when I do that, since the 08 won’t suffer from having the older style clutch or gears, but the 05 would benefit. It doesn’t seem to make sense to put the BBK on the 08 because of the emissions stuff, which means I’d end up putting the 05 carb and exhaust on the 08, and the 05 is in better shape visually.

Needless to say I’m going to be posting quite a bunch of excess parts for sale in a few weeks when I finish this project...

Denver, CO

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 08 zuma dual headlight tmod rally kit cutom red paint koso mirros red anodized trans bolts
Post Re: 2005 + 2008 Frankenscoot advice
If you don’t have a carb that was replaced in the recall on the 08 then nothing from the 05 would make it any better
Yes you would get the adjustable needle in the 05 carb but you can order those parts and put them on the 08
Stock 08 pipe vest stock 05 pipe there is no performances difference
The 08 has the better clutch and rear sheave with gears that net a higher top speed

Depends upon what the bore kit is if it’s a decent one like a top performance trophy or the cast iron stage 6 put it on the 08 keep the 08 and use what’s left to rebuild and sell the 05

If it’s some crap butt no name cheap China dookie bore put it on the 05 and sell the 05 and use the money for a decent bore on the 08

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]