View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Caliper Bracket Rubbing - Inside (New Brakes & Spring Clips) 
Newb
Newb

Post Caliper Bracket Rubbing - Inside (New Brakes & Spring Clips)
Installed new brakes pads & pad spring clips on 2004 Zuma 50cc. Now the inner side of the caliper bracket is touching the rotor on the lower side and very close on the upper side. The rotor is not centered in the caliper braket.

Cleaned and very lightly lubed the slide pins.

New stock Yamaha pads (didn't know better when buying them) and wanted to install new pad spring clips as well, which I had to order.

The pad spring clips appear to be in correctly. The the clip with the spring built into it is in place, putting some tension on the pad (not sprung out behind the pad).

Oil level is good, brakes are responsive, as before changing the pads. Everything seems good, but the rotor is not centered in the caliper bracket. The rotor is against the inner side, the wheel side off the caliper bracket.

Slide pins move freely. The caliper piston pushed into the caliper housing easily enough (opened reservoir top). Upon assembly brakes came back firm and responsive. So, the caliper appears to be moving freely as well.... but the rotor is riding up against the inner side of the caliper bracket.

What am I missing?

Found this thread, interestingly for the exact opposite (in this thread, the poster had a rotor that rode against the outside of the caliper housing):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21060&start=0

Edit: Thinking about this overnight.... the problem appears to be structural in that the interference is between the fixed caliper bracket (attached to the fork) and the fixed rotor (attached to the wheel hub). So, maybe a few weeks ago, when my son ran into an object and broke the front fender may also have bent the axle bolt? or ?? causing this slight misalignment? I should be able to remove the brake pads entirely and see the same problem.

I don't know why, but the site is saying the images I'm attempting to attach are invalid. I resized them to 800 x smaller pixels, but won't let me attach.

Thanks for any help... this is my 1st Zuma. But I grew up in a welding and repair shop, fix my own cars, ride and fix snowmobiles, etc... feel like I'm missing something.

Mark

Attachments:
File comment: Brake Assembly -- red line where rotor is rubbing (although worse on the inner bottom than inner top)
Brake Assembly.JPG
Brake Assembly.JPG [ 258.91 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:14 pm
Newb
Newb

Post Re: Caliper Bracket Rubbing - Inside (New Brakes & Spring Cl
Well... I still don't now the cause, but found a solution. Placed a washer between the caliper bracket and the fork for the two mounting bolts. This recentered the caliper bracket on the rotor. All else is now a-ok. Brakes work great, pads in the correct position. Could be that the front axle bolt is bent slightly causing this (??) but the rotor turns true in the center of the caliper bracket, so we're back in business.

27Words wrote:
Installed new brakes pads & pad spring clips on 2004 Zuma 50cc. Now the inner side of the caliper bracket is touching the rotor on the lower side and very close on the upper side. The rotor is not centered in the caliper braket.

Cleaned and very lightly lubed the slide pins.

New stock Yamaha pads (didn't know better when buying them) and wanted to install new pad spring clips as well, which I had to order.

The pad spring clips appear to be in correctly. The the clip with the spring built into it is in place, putting some tension on the pad (not sprung out behind the pad).

Oil level is good, brakes are responsive, as before changing the pads. Everything seems good, but the rotor is not centered in the caliper bracket. The rotor is against the inner side, the wheel side off the caliper bracket.

Slide pins move freely. The caliper piston pushed into the caliper housing easily enough (opened reservoir top). Upon assembly brakes came back firm and responsive. So, the caliper appears to be moving freely as well.... but the rotor is riding up against the inner side of the caliper bracket.

What am I missing?

Found this thread, interestingly for the exact opposite (in this thread, the poster had a rotor that rode against the outside of the caliper housing):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21060&start=0

Edit: Thinking about this overnight.... the problem appears to be structural in that the interference is between the fixed caliper bracket (attached to the fork) and the fixed rotor (attached to the wheel hub). So, maybe a few weeks ago, when my son ran into an object and broke the front fender may also have bent the axle bolt? or ?? causing this slight misalignment? I should be able to remove the brake pads entirely and see the same problem.

I don't know why, but the site is saying the images I'm attempting to attach are invalid. I resized them to 800 x smaller pixels, but won't let me attach.

Thanks for any help... this is my 1st Zuma. But I grew up in a welding and repair shop, fix my own cars, ride and fix snowmobiles, etc... feel like I'm missing something.

Mark

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:43 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25587
Post Re: Caliper Bracket Rubbing - Inside (New Brakes & Spring Cl
cool glad it worked out.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]