View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2T variator 'collar' outside diameter? 
Newb
Newb

Post 2T variator 'collar' outside diameter?
I purchased a NCY complete transmission upgrade kit. The kit did not include a new collar (as yamaha calls it... it is the loose fit bushing between the sheaves and the splined crankshaft). ...and the old collar (believe it is stock) doesn't fit the NCY sheave.

My old collar has an OD of 20mm but the NCY sheave ID is 18mm.

Anyone have an idea what is going on here? The rest of the NCY parts fit everything fine, and I've confirmed that I ordered the correct kit for my 2004 zuma

Thanks!

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 am
Newb
Newb

scooters and mods: 2008 Zuma, 2012 Ruckus
Post Re: 2T variator 'collar' outside diameter?
I just bought and installed one of these kits a couple of weeks ago. First time scooter owner and first time doing any work like this. I did notice that the tolerance on one or two of the NCY parts was greater than stock, ie there was more 'play'. And I'm pretty sure it was the same condition as you're describing.
I just went with it and assembled everything and my bike seems to be running fine. With some other upgrades, it's going up hills 45mph and cruising in the low to mid 50s.
I've taken off the cover a few times and I've taken the whole transmission apart once or twice and all seems good.
So far, the bike has about 100 miles on it since the upgrade.
However, my electric start is no longer working and I'm not sure why. Kick start works like a champ. I don't know the relationship between the electric start and the transmission / variator, but I'll be trying to sort it out this weekend. I just bring that up to say that things are not 100% perfect.

Here's a pic of the variator for reference...

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 6.32.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 6.32.21 AM.png [ 217.82 KiB | Viewed 1380 times ]

Matte Black 2008 Zuma 50: NCY 70cc Sport kit, NCY exhaust, Dellorto 17.5, NCY Clutch with yellow contra spring, Malossi MultiVar with 8g Dr Pulley sliders, Malossi Kevlar belt, Sport 70 airbox, Doppler intake manifold, Stage6 Reed cage, Nology hotwire, Malossi RS3 shock, TTO temp and tach, Boppers.
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 am
Newb
Newb

cool; thanks for the help!

my question is how did you even get the yamaha collar inside the NCY variator? my collar is larger than the NCY sheave ID so it won't even fit at all.

the NCY sheave does have a bushing installed in it. did you have to remove that first to fit the yamaha collar in there?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm
Newb
Newb

CUzumin wrote:
cool; thanks for the help!

my question is how did you even get the yamaha collar inside the NCY variator? my collar is larger than the NCY sheave ID so it won't even fit at all.

the NCY sheave does have a bushing installed in it. did you have to remove that first to fit the yamaha collar in there?

I did not have an issue as you're describing. I probably need to pull off the cover to take a look at it. I'm actually buying a Malossi Variator, and also some 5g weights, so I plan to pull it alart soon anyway. If you can wait... I'm hoping the stuff comes in by Saturday. If you're in a hurry, I might be able to pull it all apart early

Matte Black 2008 Zuma 50: NCY 70cc Sport kit, NCY exhaust, Dellorto 17.5, NCY Clutch with yellow contra spring, Malossi MultiVar with 8g Dr Pulley sliders, Malossi Kevlar belt, Sport 70 airbox, Doppler intake manifold, Stage6 Reed cage, Nology hotwire, Malossi RS3 shock, TTO temp and tach, Boppers.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 pm
Newb
Newb

That would be great, Saturday is fine. No rush! Thx!

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
jack
How much performance increase did you see from the ncy tranny kit ?
Low 50s on the flats without a bbk is really strong top end
What was your speed on flats before your upgrades ?
My 2004 clutch eventually needs to be upgraded it is 105Mm stock clutch

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe malossi multivar 6.5 sliders green polini clutch springs stock carb 75 mikuni main one clip rich 47.5 mph Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 84 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich (sold)

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Newb
Newb

Zino -
we did a really poor job of documenting progress, per item. Basically, the 2008 Zuma was really slow when we got it. It didn't have the notch cut from the throttle cam, and it was bone stock.
Right off the bat, we knew it was way too slow for our needs. So, before putting many miles on it or doing any testing, we bought the full NCY kit with pipe, tranny kit, and BBK. The BBK was on backorder so we installed the rest. I thought I messed up the carb - with the A/F screw, so I bought a 17.5 Dellorto. So - that's where we've been. But now the bbk is in and it's doing pretty well. We still want to tune it more. I'm putting on temp and tach gauges this weekend and I've got some other parts on order.
I'll be able to get some good info on the total package, once it's tuned and stable, but we're not going to have info about the benefits of the individual items
Jack

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 am
Newb
Newb

CUzumin wrote:
That would be great, Saturday is fine. No rush! Thx!

CUz -
I'm sorry to report that I've been unable to get to it this weekend. First, the parts never arrived. So, if I was to break it all down, it would be to just put it back together as-is. Other than that, I sold a Ruckus this morning and had to do some prep, which took up most of the day yesterday. On the Zuma, I worked most of today to install a temp gauge and a tach gauge. Great project but that took much longer than expected. I will get those parts in and I will take the whole thing apart, and take some photos of the NCY stuff, and report back. Hopefully during the week. Worst case, next weekend.
Jack

Attachments:
Dash_Gauges.jpg
Dash_Gauges.jpg [ 223.85 KiB | Viewed 1326 times ]

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 pm
Newb
Newb

Jack- No Worries!! I much appreciate the update! I am also working with ScooterworksUSA customer service to try to figure out the issue. So far, they have been responsive and great in trying to help.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 am
Newb
Newb

CUz
I took apart the tranny today bc I got in a Malossi MultiVar Variator kit. I replaced some of the practically new NCY parts with Malossi stuff. From that diagram above, I replaced items 1-6 and I eliminated 7 - the washer.
I also went back to my old parts that I've been storing in the box that came with the NCY Super Tranny Kit.
https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Performance-Super-Transmission-Set-Yamaha-Zuma-50-2T-P12493.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjwo_HdBRBjEiwAiPPXpHJUhONDH2HK8Uaw5-S9vf6IrE1xv4PAuLwfMB_m6zYQ5g9cwyBELBoCvsUQAvD_BwE
Here's what I figured out:
You're right that the NCY kit doesn't come with a collar. In my case, the OEM collar (or the one that was on my bike, assumed to be original) fit the NCY Sheave (#1 above) just fine. I don't have a good way to measure it, but it's now out of the bike and in a box, so maybe I can figure out a way to measure it. I also have the OEM sheave here in the box, so I could take a video of what it all looks like.

However, the hole in the new Malossi sheave and the collar that came with the new Malossi kit are larger. See the photo below.

Let me know if you want me to take a video, or anything else. Maybe I can figure out a way to do that measurement...

Jack

Attachments:
NCY_Variator_2.jpg
NCY_Variator_2.jpg [ 173.88 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]
NCY_Variator.jpeg
NCY_Variator.jpeg [ 190.36 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]
Variator_Tool.jpeg
Variator_Tool.jpeg [ 230.27 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]
NCY_Super_Tranny_Kit.jpg
NCY_Super_Tranny_Kit.jpg [ 248.72 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]
NCY_vs_Malossi.jpeg
NCY_vs_Malossi.jpeg [ 133.77 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]
NCY_vs_Malossi_2.jpeg
NCY_vs_Malossi_2.jpeg [ 90.6 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]

Last edited by Jack667 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm
Newb
Newb

Here's one more look at the stuff - the NCY sheave is on the left and the OEM one is on the right. The OEM collar fits both of them just fine.

Attachments:
NCY_OEM_Var2.jpeg
NCY_OEM_Var2.jpeg [ 97.26 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]
NCY_OEM_Var1.jpeg
NCY_OEM_Var1.jpeg [ 95.65 KiB | Viewed 1280 times ]

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 pm
Newb
Newb

Also - going back to review the thread, I remember that you asked about the bushing in the NCY sheave. I never touched that, and you can see from the photo below that the OEM collar fits right in to the NCY sheave with the bushing. And - just keep in mind that mine is a 2008, which may be different from your 2004, wrt sheave, etc. I know the gearing is different...

Attachments:
NCY_with_Bushing.jpeg
NCY_with_Bushing.jpeg [ 145.67 KiB | Viewed 1279 times ]

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:59 pm
Newb
Newb

Jack,

First Off... thank you for such detailed response... this is incredibly helpful!

I am coming to the conclusion that the NCY inner sheave that I received is just the wrong one... must be an issue from the NCY factory.

If you could somehow get your hands on a pair of calipers to measure the ID of the NCY sheave and the ID/OD of the stock collar... that would be awesome! I could probably confirm the issue from there.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 am
Newb
Newb

CUzumin wrote:
Jack,

First Off... thank you for such detailed response... this is incredibly helpful!

I am coming to the conclusion that the NCY inner sheave that I received is just the wrong one... must be an issue from the NCY factory.

If you could somehow get your hands on a pair of calipers to measure the ID of the NCY sheave and the ID/OD of the stock collar... that would be awesome! I could probably confirm the issue from there.

Glad to help.

About the caliper, I probably need one anyway so I ordered from Amazon and it will get here Friday. Since the parts are now out on the table, I can measure them easily. I'll post the results Friday or Saturday
Jack

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:57 am
Newb
Newb

Wow! Awesome thx!

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next