View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Little help with my shopping cart. 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: Black 09 BWS
Post Re: Little help with my shopping cart.
zino18 wrote:
So Tassy is right continually running in the red shortens the life of your crank and those pipes definetely flirt closer too the line .

One thing I have going for me is that the OEM crank only has 2500kms on it.

10-4 on the tach I am looking at one that does temp and tach vs just tach also exploring the idea of replacing the whole panel.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:03 pm
Scooterologist

zino18 wrote:
Probably a better way is to look at where you want to end up speed wise and how much are you going too spend and then factor in your skill level.

Money isn't a issue I hate saying that but it really is not the first consideration.

Speed 80-85 kmh (50-53 mph) would be pushing to fast for where I am dookie 75 would be plenty. My real issue is hills and general acceleration I'd like to be able to to keep above 55 on the inclines.

Skill level... Well 15 years ago I took a lawnmower apart and got it back together and it started once... Didn't try a second time. All kidding aside I am pretty decent at following instructions and I own a torque wrench but never really tuened a carb before.

I know I could bolt on a BBK, exhaust, clutch, variator play with the weights and springs but for some reason adding a manual choke and running a Throttle cable seems a bit much for me right now and I don't know if I will ever have the confidence to do the crank.

I reached out to a few local shops to see if I could get them to do the crank for me... Just to see

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 pm
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: 1998 Zuma Prebug
MaxR wrote:
zino18 wrote:
Probably a better way is to look at where you want to end up speed wise and how much are you going too spend and then factor in your skill level.

Money isn't a issue I hate saying that but it really is not the first consideration.

Speed 80-85 kmh (50-53 mph) would be pushing to fast for where I am dookie 75 would be plenty. My real issue is hills and general acceleration I'd like to be able to to keep above 55 on the inclines.

Skill level... Well 15 years ago I took a lawnmower apart and got it back together and it started once... Didn't try a second time. All kidding aside I am pretty decent at following instructions and I own a torque wrench but never really tuened a carb before.

I know I could bolt on a BBK, exhaust, clutch, variator play with the weights and springs but for some reason adding a manual choke and running a Throttle cable seems a bit much for me right now and I don't know if I will ever have the confidence to do the crank.

I reached out to a few local shops to see if I could get them to do the crank for me... Just to see

If money isn't the issue then here is what I would recommend and since you really do want to put on a crank then go for a 12mm wrist pin version as they are better in terms of reliability compared to the 10mm ones.

BBK: Athena, Stage 6 mk2 or Polini Corsa
Pipe: Yasuni R or, stage 6 pro or pro replica
Carb: Dellorto 17.5 or 19mm
Crank: malossi or stage 6 12mm wrist pin

Optional:
Upgears: Which ever one gets you to a 11:1 final drive ratio (I made the mistake of going 9.9:1 but I really do not see a performance drop at all, maybe it's because I am light)
Reeds: 3 reed cage (more free flowing than stock)
Variator: Malossi Overrange kit (just plug and play and just mess with the roller weights to get into the pipes powerband as well as change the clutch springs with the springs provided with the pipe)
Bigger brakes
Suspension

That will be able to get you to 50mph+ (You want to be able to go a bit faster than 50mph as car drivers can be very unexpecting and you may need to zoom out of danger) as well as being able to maintain 55mph on hills etc.

70cc Athena w/ BR9HS, 17.5mm Carb (82MJ, clip 1 from bottom), 9.9:1 final drive, 4.4g rollers, LV 5k clutch springs, LV TT Pipe

Current max speed ~93kmh(58mph) @ 9.7k rpm

Build Project: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28663

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:16 am
Scooterologist

Tassy wrote:
MaxR wrote:
zino18 wrote:

If money isn't the issue then here is what I would recommend and since you really do want to put on a crank then go for a 12mm wrist pin version as they are better in terms of reliability compared to the 10mm ones.

BBK: Athena, Stage 6 mk2 or Polini Corsa
Pipe: Yasuni R or, stage 6 pro or pro replica
Carb: Dellorto 17.5 or 19mm
Crank: malossi or stage 6 12mm wrist pin

Optional:
Upgears: Which ever one gets you to a 11:1 final drive ratio (I made the mistake of going 9.9:1 but I really do not see a performance drop at all, maybe it's because I am light)
Reeds: 3 reed cage (more free flowing than stock)
Variator: Malossi Overrange kit (just plug and play and just mess with the roller weights to get into the pipes powerband as well as change the clutch springs with the springs provided with the pipe)
Bigger brakes
Suspension

That will be able to get you to 50mph+ (You want to be able to go a bit faster than 50mph as car drivers can be very unexpecting and you may need to zoom out of danger) as well as being able to maintain 55mph on hills etc.

Sorry I meant maintain 55kmh up hills (35mph)

With the overange variator you loose the electric start though right? If I can find someone local to crack the case and do my crank I will definitely jump right into a 12mm wristpin.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: 2 2004 Vinos 2004 Zuma
If you really just want acceleration first and dont plan on needing to be above 50 mph .
You wont need to get into big expense of crank swapping that is for 60 mph and up builds .

Mid 40s you could do that with a sport pipe or sport bbk
The bbk is what you need more for sure for the launch .

For high 40's breaking 50 get the sport bbk and the pipe you have better stock gears than me and I was at 48 +
Mid 50s add gears .

Now you are talking about going with the stage 6 based on the dyno results add a mile or 2 to each stage for the bbk and a mile or 2 for the better pipe .
Dynos dont reflect wind and weight of rider and are very optimistic for top end .
I have no problem climbing hills around me above 35 mph .

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe malossi multivar 6.5 sliders green polini clutch springs stock carb 75 mikuni main one clip rich 47.5 mph Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 84 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich (sold)

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:36 am
Scooterologist

Alrighty so I pulled the trigger today on the below list. I gotta wait for stock to come in on the cylinder, exhaust and clutch... But at least I made a decision on where I want to be.

70cc Malosi Sport.
Yasuni R exhaust
107mm polini for race clutch
malosi multivar
yellow clutch springs
yellow torque springs
16x13 5.1g roller weights
small end bearing 10mm (MHR team)
set of carbon reeds
set of 6mm main jets 80-89

I decided at this time I don't want to deal with the crank. I might look at buying extra castings and crank and make a really rippy rig that I can swap out and have a spare but we will see.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:38 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice list
the reeds already come with the malossi work very well.
A trail tech cht temp gauge will help you monitor and tune your scoot
I also would at least grab a tach cheap ones on amazon are 20 bucks
It helps a ton with tuning your transmission for example the yasuni pipe with the malossi loves 8500- 9200 rpms you set your weights to jump to inside that power band every time you go wide open .
I would grab 1 gram larger roller weights and 1/2 gram smaller or so so that between those 3 weights you have 6 combinations from 4.5 to 6 for tuning that pipe will have a sweet spot somewhere in there that will work for your riding style .
With that pipe and that bbk you will bury the needle at 80 kphs and just might break 90 kphs .
You will have no problem cruising at your goal speed 75 kphs .
I am not sure on the jets you are buying so start big and work your way down,

I just use the oem jets from yamaha they are 5 bucks a piece size 82 and 84 the 82 worked for me with a vino pilot jet
84 main part #14T-14343-42-00 82 main part #14T-14343-41-00 5BM-14353-23-00 - 46 Vino pilot

Have a blast building this .
If your wife loves it give her this one in a little while and then go full blown on the next one.

2004 Vino Malossi sport 70cc Malossi Wild Lion pipe malossi multivar 6.5 sliders green polini clutch springs stock carb 75 mikuni main one clip rich 47.5 mph Michelin S1 90/90/10 rear tire Michelin S1 3" x 10 up front

2004 Zuma Malossi sport 70 cc Technigas next r 2008 zuma torque driver polini high speed variator 5.5 grams sliders malossi delta clutch yellow contra yellow clutch springs Stock Carb 84 main jet 46 pilot jet needle 1 clip rich stock athena 14/42 gears 11 to 1 final ratio 56 mph

2005 Eton Beamer (Taiwan Zuma Clone) Airsal sport 70cc 9200 peak rpm top speed 42 77.5 mikuni jet needle 1 clip rich (sold)

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:59 pm
Scooterologist

I forgot to order a spark plug...

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:12 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Those are easy to come by .
I would get at least a box for tuning.
The extra weights and plugs you can also get on Amazon

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:09 pm
Scooterologist

I have been flipping through the manual recently and I got a little bit confused so there is the air box under the far back of the foot boards... what is the other air box for that is bolted to the top of the CVT? It has a hose that goes to the exhaust and the other air box...

Attachments:
File comment: Air box
Screenshot_20190628-142052.jpg
Screenshot_20190628-142052.jpg [ 417.65 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

That extra box is for the smog crap the hose goes to the pipe to help the catalytic converter.
You will be ditching that extra box and plugging the hose to the other carb when you put on the yasuni r.
All of the aftermarket pipes are Catalytic converter Free
The stock 2008-2011 pipe and smog junk is a big weak point that robs power .

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:03 pm
Scooterologist

zino18 wrote:
That extra box is for the smog crap the hose goes to the pipe to help the catalytic converter.
You will be ditching that extra box and plugging the hose to the other carb when you put on the yasuni r.
All of the aftermarket pipes are Catalytic converter Free
The stock 2008-2011 pipe and smog junk is a big weak point that robs power .

So when i am pulling everything apart just plug the hole to the main air filter box and ditch the little box and both hoses? any benefit to pinching it off now?

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:55 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

You need it to keep supplying air to the catalytic converter in the pipe or it will get plugged up .
If you look inside the pipe when its running and it is hot you will see it glowing inside .

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:31 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

One other thing that you got going for you buying the cast iron malossi.
You will want to chamfer all of the ports with some files to knock off the sharp edges .
This only takes 10 to 15 minutes total .
And hand polish the exhaust port with some sand paper or emeory cloth start with 100 grit and work your way down to 400 grit.
Doing this right by hand is going to take a hour or so .
You want to get it down to a mirror like finish in the exhaust port .
A side effect this will raise and widen the exhaut port a little .
This will help with raising rpms and horsepower and help it flow better .
The other ports inside you want to leave rougher to help with cooling just knock out any slag deposits left over from casting.

The aluminum with the nicasil lining you cannot improve like this without taking large risks of chipping the lining.

Last edited by zino18 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:43 pm
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: 1998 Zuma Prebug
zino18 wrote:
After you install the bbk and pipe the more extreme you go the more extreme tuning you have to get right in the transmission to dial it to the overlapping powerbands of your pipe and bbk.
Otherwise you will be very frustrated with why all the power is not getting to the rear wheel .
You just need to go slow and change one variable at a time.
for example
Stage 1 Install bkk jet carb break in with stock pipe
Stage 2 Add the variator adjust the weights with new contra in stock clutch for bbk powerband
Stage 3 Install pipe rejet carb if necessary, adjust weights for pipe then add the clutch with new contra from stage 2 and springs to adjust take off for the pipes powerband .
This way you learn what each part incrementally does .

I dont agree with your stage 1. I do not see why the user has to rejet for the stock pipe and then rejet AGAIN with the new pipe. Just put on the new pipe and break it in with that. rejetting and extra plug chopping is just a hassle. Sure you will need to tune the cvt, just use the clutch springs that come with the pipe and white/yellow contra and then you can adjust your roller weights while you are breaking it in.

70cc Athena w/ BR9HS, 17.5mm Carb (82MJ, clip 1 from bottom), 9.9:1 final drive, 4.4g rollers, LV 5k clutch springs, LV TT Pipe

Current max speed ~93kmh(58mph) @ 9.7k rpm

Build Project: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=28663

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next