View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Remove spacer in variator to derestrict? Bad idea? 
Newb
Newb

Post Remove spacer in variator to derestrict? Bad idea?
I ran across this Youtube video which details removing a washer or spacer from the variator to derestrict a 50cc moped. Does this even apply to the Zuma? Does it work or is it a bad idea?

\

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:35 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Remove spacer in variator to derestrict? Bad idea?
the restrictors are where the rollers are, not the washer
but there isnt any on the zuma

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s
2007 Honda Metropolitan FOR SALE

Image Image Image

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:42 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

leave all the washers you find in a zuma there

there is no wedding band in a zuma the wahser that you see there are actualy shims to keep your belt running true

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:51 pm
Scooterologist

So guys are we talkin about the 125 or the 50? I just put some new sliders in tonight and was thinking of removing shim...any suggestions? :catholic:

2009 yamaha zuma 125 uni air mod , led underseat lighting, battery tender quick connect, dual headlight with led fog light, smoked turn signals, Dr. Pulley 11 g Sliders, led tailight, str8 Handle grips, 12v power adapter, ncy performance exhaust, Koso mirrors, genuine yamaha stainless steel passenger pegs, di noc air filter cover, di noc on speedo and brake reservoir, cnc fan cover, led brake bulbs, cool mesh seat cover bws 125, 17xx and wtf is it with not gettn images on here? please help!

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:09 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

either way 50 or 125 do not remove your shims if your varatior isnt shimed right you will eat belts left and right

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:19 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have done that to all 3 of mine and have had zero problems. I just put the washer in behind the variator to line things back up. Mine are not the wedding bands either. Gained an average of 4 mph on each of them.

Look at it this way, you have seen the shims that Stage 6 sells and many use to tune the variator. It does the same thing only in reverse.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:00 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

that may be the advantage to a short case engine
a fraction of a mm has a greater effect the longer things are

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:03 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think you are mistaken on this, so we will have to agree to disagree. But I bet nearly every big name race team and super tuner uses those variator shims to adjust where the belt rides on the variator to tune it, and when you open it up, it can only be shimmed one way. I doubt they would do that if its a bad thing.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:38 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think the normal use is 1-2 shims until you find the correct thickness, then you try to find 1 shim the right size. Its for tuning, just like the tuning rollers. Use them to find what you need then install the correct one
the reason they sell a whole bunch in a box is they probably cost 1/2 cent each and its easier to sell a box full for $25 then 1 at a time

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Dipstick Temp Gauge<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black RRGS Brake levers<>Cob Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Shorty Stock Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>Custom Made 9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap

1981 Honda Passport
1979 Honda Trail 90
1970 Honda Trail 70
2012 Kawasaki KLX 250s
2007 Honda Metropolitan FOR SALE

Image Image Image

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sure... i didnt mean that you put them all in there! But the point is, you use them to shim it to where it needs to be and there shouldnt be any damage from it. The stock washer is .838mm and wouldnt be enough to kill a belt.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:13 pm
Scooter Addict

This argument agani? I still am curious to try the washer behind the variator trick.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:46 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its only a 10 minute job, go try it out and let us know what it does for a Zuma.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:58 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

buguy wrote:
I think you are mistaken on this, so we will have to agree to disagree. But I bet nearly every big name race team and super tuner uses those variator shims to adjust where the belt rides on the variator to tune it, and when you open it up, it can only be shimmed one way. I doubt they would do that if its a bad thing.

Incorrect. They are for pefect belt alignment. Short case engine it might not make a difference but on a long case Zuma motor the belt will shred to pieces if the alignment is a sixteenth out of whack.

Besides that...if you "tune" a variator so the belt will ride higher....you also have to "tune" the clutch an equal amount. Belt alignment must be right on both ends.

To the original poster...leave all shims and washers alone. They are there for a reason.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

canyondancer wrote:
buguy wrote:

Incorrect. They are for pefect belt alignment. Short case engine it might not make a difference but on a long case Zuma motor the belt will shred to pieces if the alignment is a sixteenth out of whack.

Besides that...if you "tune" a variator so the belt will ride higher....you also have to "tune" the clutch an equal amount. Belt alignment must be right on both ends.

To the original poster...leave all shims and washers alone. They are there for a reason.

On my current zuma 50 project when I removed the variator the shims weren't there. The previous owner must've lost them.
I ordered two new OEM ones. I'm curious how to measure or align the belt? I guess tech some people could need one washer while another might need three.

2007 Zuma swapped Ruckus
Build thread 2012: http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 95&t=61897

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:23 pm
Newb
Newb

I have a 2012 50F.
I took the washer out and did notice about 3-4MPH better top speed... but did not like what it did to the low end. It made the bike sluggish on take off from start, so I put the washer back after about a week or so.

I drive in heavy traffic most of the time, so top speed is not as important to me as having the torque on the low end.

hope this helps.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next