View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 zuma 125 insurance WOW 
Scooter Addict

Post Re: zuma 125 insurance WOW
I was given a "good deal" at $600/year with a clean record, but when they found out that I didn't own my own house, they had to give me a "slight increase" to $750/year. Screw it. I'm taking a risk, but I'm not running insurance on my bike. I own it outright, so it's not required.

I'm not paying $750/year so, in the event of an accident, they can fight me tooth and nail through the process, refuse to cover me, and then jack my rates up even more because I required the coverage I was paying for.

Basically, if I am able to ride three more years without wrecking this scooter, I would almost be able to buy another Zuma 125 with the money I would be paying for insurance. Four years, and I could literally purchase another one with that money.

I don't ride like an idiot. I don't ride too fast for any conditions. In my state, there is an under-20 (years old - specifically for males) law which means your license is revoked if you get ticketed for rolling a stop sign, let alone speeding. That would mean I WOULD lose my job, I would have to give up college (associate's program in automotive), my life would be destroyed. So, I don't ride like a maniac either. I'm not immune from making mistakes, but I am always attentive, dress properly with a full-face helmet, and watch where I am going. If I get into an accident, I would be willing to bet it's going to be the other person's fault.

Regardless, I'm not getting insurance because they are going to refuse me treatment/repairs if I do get into an accident. Then they will make sure that I have even more trouble affording it than I had before.

If anyone here thinks they can find me reasonable insurance rates with a non-crooked company, let me know.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:49 am
Scooter Addict

Well, I called a progressive agent yesterday and got a great deal on a policy. I was going over the paperwork to sign this morning and realized that even though I gave him the model of the scooter along w/ the VIN my policy said YW50AP....what a tool. He quoted me on the 50cc Zuma and not the 125. Now i'm waiting to see what the price difference is. What a jackass.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:19 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bubs wrote:
If I get into an accident, I would be willing to bet it's going to be the other person's fault.

That was precisely my earlier point. :eng101: You need a lot of insurance to protect yourself against another at-fault driver with minimal ($25,000) insurance. Even if another person is at fault, the maximum you can recover is their insurance limit unless you have UM/UIM coverage.

I have had three cases in my office since 2006 where the m/c or scooter was sitting at a red light and was "tapped" by a drunk or otherwise negligent driver. Each one caused major injury to the operator. I certainly don't want that to happen to anyone, but if it does, you need to be financially protected.

I would not make your bet.

'nuff said.

Clocks4Bikes Handlebar Clock, Termoscud Lap Apron (seasonal)
VA Tag: 96 MPG
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2012
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2011
Member # 1807
http://www.facebook.com/steven.levine1?ref=name

Gone, but not forgotten:
2008 Zuma 50--FAREWELL PARTY-SEPTEMBER 30, 2010
Co-SOTM November 2009
Rolling Thunder/Ride of the Patriots 2010

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Scooter Addict

Well, got my insurance resolved today. Went w/ Geico. They were by far the cheapest for an Apples to Apples quote.

Thanks for the reminder about the uninsured motorist coverage too. I juiced that up to the same limit as my personal coverage. Most will avoid quoting you on that since it bumps up your payments. Where I live there's plenty of folks w/o coverage.

Anyway - I'm all legal. Now back to the road!

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:13 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I've got USAA, and combined premiums for both my Z50 and Z125 is $584 per year.

I called both Geico and Progressive, and both were more than double that!

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:10 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

earpig wrote:

USAA is a great company, if you qualify.

Don't you still have to be active duty, retired, or a dependant? :patriot:

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:53 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

johnysmokes wrote:
earpig wrote:

USAA is a great company, if you qualify.

Don't you still have to be active duty, retired, or a dependant? :patriot:

My fiance is somehow grandfathered in...

Her grandparents were military, and eligibility can somehow be passed down.

It was, needless to say, a very pleasant bonus!

I guess I bought more than just a ring!!! :awesome:

Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:24 pm
Scooterologist

I am requesting a quote from them for my electraglide and 125 zuma. we will see

scootio54 wrote:
Hello johnyrrr and the rest of the forum.

I have Dariyland Insurance https://www.dairylandcycle.com/. It cost $87/yr. for a 09 Zuma 125 and a 06 Suzuki DRZ400SM. I have the multi-bike discount and 100/300/100 coverage.

It would be worth calling them even though they talk funny up there in Wisconsin. ;)

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:41 am
Newb
Newb

You guys really need to start your insurance search with State Farm. They are the largest insurer of vehicles in the United States, by far!. If you took the next three largest insurers (All-State, Geico, Progressive), and add up all of their policies together, it still wouldn't be as large as State Farm. Why is this important? Because this size gives State Farm the buying power and contracts with repair shops that give them greatest discounts when a customer needs to have their vehicle or bike repaired. Thus, they pass this savings onto us in the form of lower priced policies. They also have the largest database of claims experience with each make of vehicle and driving conditions around the United States to more accurately price your policy for your environment. How do I know this? I just completed a six month research paper on vehicle insurance for a class that I'm taking. The bottom line is that you should always start with State Farm and compare out from there. But be sure that you are comparing apples to apples. My research showed that Geico and Progressive and many others would, many times, quote you minimum coverages, which in my opinion, is unethical. They did this to get your business without caring for if you are really covered enough to provide you and family with the financial protection you need. If you want this low/cheap type of coverage, tell State Farm and all of them that you call, that you want them to quote you this minimum coverage, then after you get that quote, ask them for a quote covering what they recommend. Bottom line, start your comparison with State Farm. State Farm will not always be the cheapest, but on average, they are the lowest priced insurance out there with the absolute best customer service and claims ratings in the industry.

Don't just trust me on this. I encourage you to do your own homework, but start your search with State Farm with specific coverage requirements in mind. That way you know that you are comparing apples to apples.

Jon Gibson - New Zuma Owner

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:46 pm
Newb
Newb

Bubs, be very careful with that approach to insurance. If you were to have an accident and hit another vehicle, the repair costs for all damage would be totally out of your pocket. With today's cost of repairs, a dent/crease the size of your hand can easily cost you $1000.00. Even scratching someones rear bumper could cost you over a $1000.00. Plus, if you were to hurt someone...well, they would own you. Just be careful my friend. I would never recommend going without insurance to anyone.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:00 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

state farm can not always compete with rates of others i have state farm for my house and i sat down with my agent with a copy of my policy for my cars and scoot and he admited that he couldnt even come close to thinking about saving me money for the same coverage my rate would be twice what i pay or i would have to go up to a $500 decdutable to even brake even

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:02 pm
Scooter Addict

Jonnygib wrote:
Bubs, be very careful with that approach to insurance. If you were to have an accident and hit another vehicle, the repair costs for all damage would be totally out of your pocket. With today's cost of repairs, a dent/crease the size of your hand can easily cost you $1000.00. Even scratching someones rear bumper could cost you over a $1000.00. Plus, if you were to hurt someone...well, they would own you. Just be careful my friend. I would never recommend going without insurance to anyone.

That makes sense, it's just that I am going wind up paying more than they will ever compensate me if I were to have an accident. If anything, I will get liability-only on it if I can ever find insurance that is even somewhat affordable. I personally wouldn't even want to bother with full coverage because I'm never going to get any compensation if I get into an accident - I'll have to pay out of pocket regardless, they will keep my money and then jack my rates up so high that I can't possibly afford the premiums. With these sort of rates, I don't know how anyone with more than a ticket or two on their record can ever afford insurance for any car or truck.

I guess that's what I get for being a male. Anyone here have any non-crooked insurance company to recommend?

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:04 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

For me it's not about how can I afford insurance because that's part of the cost of ownership.

It's like being able to afford the payment on a Ferrari, but not being able to afford an oil change or brake job.

I don't understand how anyone, except T. Boone Pickens and the like, can afford not to have insurance.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:49 pm
Scooter Addict

earpig wrote:
For me it's not about how can I afford insurance because that's part of the cost of ownership.

It's like being able to afford the payment on a Ferrari, but not being able to afford an oil change or brake job.

I don't understand how anyone, except T. Boone Pickens and the like, can afford not to have insurance.

It's not that I can't afford it, it's just that being an eighteen year old male, it's hard to find insurance that isn't completely shafting me just for being an eighteen year old male. If I couldn't afford insurance at all, I wouldn't own the scooter. ;)

I have managed to find full-coverage with Progressive with $100 deductibles for roughly $50/month, which is reasonable enough considering the low deductible. Another company wanted even more than that for $1,000 deductibles and the lowest liability coverage possible.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:42 pm
Newb
Newb

I have Progressive Liability only.
$75.00 a year.
Multi-cycle- Discount

Cover include me & my son, 21yrs old.
SV650S - Premium $ 52
Zuma125 - Premium $ 23

Liability to others:
Body injury liability 250k/500k each accident