View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 YAMAHA PREBUG ZUMA - help needed with my prebug 
Newb
Newb

Post YAMAHA PREBUG ZUMA - help needed with my prebug
Interested in some help guys just bought this 01 and i need it to go faster just like everyone else. I am not new to scooters I have had a couple over the years just nothing this complicated and restricted. Just so you know I do have a pgo big max 50r that goes 50 with a pipe and cone air filter, carb tuned by me.
Back to the zuma, it only goes 36 on a good day, took the washer out of the variator looked in the exhaust for restrictions but nothing, looked in the carb and reeds but nothing. so what is slowing it down, acceleration is great but top speed is bad. So what do i need to do for it to go at least 50 with a minimum budget. Also interested in what the best variator for top speed is and what carb jets or carb.

Thanks

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 am
Newb
Newb

Post Re: Just got a 01 prebug looking for help
i would like to know also i can tell you right now tho the cheapest easiest mod you can prolly do is put an open airfilter like a uni and rejet the carb for the extra air.

the best mod you can do would be a pipe.well worth the money in my opinion but i wanna know what is the best pipe for these vertical motors.

and i havnt found any restrictions on mine either but would someone please list if there are any at all???

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:57 am
Newb
Newb

I did put a open air filter, its got killer pickup but again no top speed 36mph, also where did you buy the jets id like to get some also. And as far as exhaust ive ran leo vince zx on all my scooters and its never failed well worth the money.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:08 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 99 Zuma SP3 Pipe 70cc Malossi Sport Malossi Variator
I did the SP3 Pipe first and some rollers which was nice, improved take off and a little top end. Then added the Malossi Sport kit, improved take off but no real top end increase, also rejetted. Then new Malossi Variator and new rollers now more top end 47mph. My goal is 50 mph. I have new Polini gears and a modified stock air box left. Not sure how to get to 50. Wondering if the airbox would require rejet or not

My Build:
http://www.zumaforums.net/Gallery/v/c3maddox/Build/

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
First off welcome to the newbs! :q:

Second be VERY careful when switching airfilters , never do it without doing plug chops and rejetting. On a 2-stroke you can't just switch an airfilter like you can on a 4-stroke , it will give TOO MUCH air and then you will run lean and cause damage to the engine.

As for your low top end , it could be a half dozen different things. First make sure you are not lean and that the carb is clean and functioning properly. Make sure the CVT is in spec , belt and rollers especially but also check the clutch shoes and bell and the springs. Check that the tires are proper PSI and that the rear drive is properly lubricated.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:03 pm
Newb
Newb

I totaly understand, but as of last plug check im still running within reason even with my uni filter. what jets do you recomend and where can i get them from

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm
Newb
Newb

radupanait wrote:
I totaly understand, but as of last plug check im still running within reason even with my uni filter. what jets do you recommend and where can i get them from

take the jet out you should only have to play with the main jet and go to your local motorcycle shop and see if the can match it up if you cant get it through them your gonna have to go through internet,try enviromoto the guy who runs it is jeremy he is an awesome guy to deal with i had to get jets from him when i was playing with a china scoot i had.

as far as re jetting goes you should have to re jet when you put an aftermarket pipe on and defiantly when you put an open airfilter. also wen going to a bigger piston to,very bad to no rejet the scoot

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Newb
Newb

what size jets do i need to get for intake and exhaust.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:50 pm
Newb
Newb

radupanait wrote:
what size jets do i need to get for intake and exhaust.

the kinda jets you will need will vary from one person to another due to elevation change,its one of those things yo just gotta play with,if you just install an open air filter you should only have to change the main up a size or two.once you install the jet make a couple of spark plug reads,your spark plug color will tell you if you are jetted correctly,its also kinda common sense cause itll run crappy if its not right. white is to lean and the worst of all cause it hurts the engine black is to much fuel but will just foul spark plugs,a light black or light brown is either dead on the money or close to where you should be.

hope this helps :patriot:

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:02 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2008 Zuma, T-mod, Headlight Mod
I was wondering how much louder does the scoot run with the open air filter set up. I am thinking about doing that for now and maybe later getting a pipe. If it's going to be real loud I will have to second guess it. With the new jet how is it running?

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:49 am
Profile YIM
Newb
Newb

08zoooma wrote:
I was wondering how much louder does the scoot run with the open air filter set up. I am thinking about doing that for now and maybe later getting a pipe. If it's going to be real loud I will have to second guess it. With the new jet how is it running?

they get louder with open airfilter but not as loud as a pipe will make it,just give it a go the filter itself is like 20 bucks im just having a hard time finding jets in my area otherwise mine would have been done by now :/ trust me its a nice healthy sound :)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:14 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
derrik wrote:
engine black is to much fuel but will just foul spark plugs

Too rich can cause other problems and even engine failure too. What happens with too rich a mix is that carbon will start building up and that carbon can then cause engine failure. However it would run like crap and smoke very heavily if you had it that rich. But even a little rich can be a problem , as you said foul the plugs , also poor fuel economy.

Best to get the mix right but if you must be off be a tiny bit rich.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 pm
Newb
Newb

derrik wrote:
08zoooma wrote:

they get louder with open airfilter but not as loud as a pipe will make it,just give it a go the filter itself is like 20 bucks im just having a hard time finding jets in my area otherwise mine would have been done by now :/ trust me its a nice healthy sound :)

order from scootercraft, and use the discount for zf fmembers. you need 6mm jets, they have kits for 28 bucks from stage 6,

if you live in florida where it is humid you'll need somewhere above 100, i run only a tp trophy bbk and my jet is 105, when i switch to open filter i need to go to 125, it is a 01 prebug

www.orlandoscootersociety.com

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:40 pm
Scooterologist

Sorry i'm feeling lazy right now. I just read your first post and you said you wanted to go 50 mph for a minimum amount of money. Check my set up on my 01 (in the sig)...GPS indicated 51.9....from what i've head that is as fast as you're going to go on a prebug without changing the gears.

Leo Vince ZX
Leo Vince Yellow Springs
Malossi Yellow Torque spring
Pirelli SL26's
GPS....51.9mph

Buy My Rattler 110cc 2T!! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16440

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: '08 Zuma, '99 Zuma
Mine does about 35, but it needs new gas. I found out yesterday, it hadn't been driven in about 1-1/2 years. I did notice the belt wasn't going all the way up the variator, so I threw on the Keli variator that I had from my bugeye. After I get it licensed, I see if it made a difference. It added close to 5 mph to my bugeye. I may have to add heavier weights to it too.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next