View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 YAMAHA ZUMA BUGEYE HOW TO TUNE A VARIATOR 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post Re: HOW TO: Tune your variator!
I had to go thicker so it sat further down

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Stock Airbox Snorkel Removed
Malossi Variator 7g weights
Malossi Delta Clutch, Yellow Contra, Yellow Springs, Pivot plates closest to pivot (Hardest setting), Winged Bell
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Orange Trail Tech Tach/Hourmeter
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail
Rear Turn signals relocated to brake light assembly, flush mount front signals
Tun'R carbon fiber mirrors

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:30 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

It quit on me again. Think from overheating maybe. It happens after a few WOT burst at 70km/h where if I hold it steady the engine is turning at 10000RPM wtf?This was with. 4.7g rollers If I stay at or under 70kmh I could ride it all day but that's clearly not what I want to do. Look at the sharpie marks on the variator. Image

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Malossi Delta Clutch, Yellow Contra, Yellow Springs, Pivot plates closest to pivot (Hardest setting), Winged Bell
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2005 Zuma
You should have a lot more belt travel than that based on your sharpie marks.

I would be more concerned with the engine stalls you're experiencing. Any idea what running temps are? I would check for air leaks if I were you.

Leo ZX -- Stage 6 Sport Pro Vario -- S6 MKII Clutch & CNC Bell -- 15/50 gears
STR8 Oversize Fan -- Dual Headlight / Slim Tail Light -- Flush Front Signals
Sidestand -- SL26's 130/90/10 Front & Rear

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Don't have a temp gauge. I'm seriously thinking about puting the Leo Vince back on and calling it quits and selling the pro rep. I used to run at 9000 rpm with the Leo all day and had Zero isses

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:29 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
The thicker shim is preventing the variator from closing all the way, and that's why the belt isn't riding all the way up (and your top speed isn't as high as it could be).

You really shouldn't need a shim to get the belt all the way down - the belt itself should force the variator apart. Shims are really for aligning the belt - something I was advised not to bother with when I was a newbie (as opposed to a guy who's broken enough stuff to have learned a little :) ). But then you don't know about the parentage of your variator, so all bets are off. I have an Athena variator, and it's a known commodity.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scooters and mods: 2005 Zuma
If you use vario specific shims, you will not have any vario travel issues. Maybe Grav can shed some light on the type of shims he used. If the shims have a larger diameter than the boss, I can see where you may have movement issues.

With a peaky pipe like the pro rep, you need to make sure you are taking off in the lowest setting possible. If not, your bike will begin to shift too soon and you will slowly bog down the road until your revs get up to where the pipe makes power.

Leo ZX -- Stage 6 Sport Pro Vario -- S6 MKII Clutch & CNC Bell -- 15/50 gears
STR8 Oversize Fan -- Dual Headlight / Slim Tail Light -- Flush Front Signals
Sidestand -- SL26's 130/90/10 Front & Rear

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:41 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Dumbass alert!! The fuel filter I was using wasn't allowing enough fuel into to it and because I didn't har it straight up and down it was not filling itself. Revving as high as the pro rep allowed me was sucking so much URL the older could not keep up and, well you get the idea. New fuel line installed.

To be 100% honest with you I just took a washer from my "stash" that was slightly thicker then two of the OEM washers and drilled it out to slip onto the shaft. Tisk tiskI know but it works great.

For SOME reason my torque driver wasn't opening up as far as it should have. All I did was take the bell off, open it up a buch of times by hand then forced it open a little more with a big flathead screwdriver, re-installed it and good to go.

I currently have 5g rollers in and from 0-20Kmh it revs at about 9600-9700 WOT then drops to 8500 and I run at about 80kmh flat at 9000RPM. IM ASSUMING. I can go faster if I tune so that I'm always at 9400-9500RPM I will have better top speed but I'm worried about over-revving from 0-20.

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
If the diameter of the shim is wrong then you really are fooling around where no man should go. Or woman.

It's the thickness of the shims that one changes, and as you can imagine this way more subtle than shoving in any old washer. Stage6 sells a box of variator shims. I forget where I bought mine, but that's what you want.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Wed May 01, 2013 6:53 am
Scooterologist

Any time a 2 stroke stops /seizes it is Clever to open it and carefully examine : Bore, Rings and Pistons for any evidence of damage. Bit of a pain, but then so is a ruined engine :-)
Yes you did say that it was a fuel flow issue at the root of it.
But did it allow the pore thing to run lean.. possibly doing irreperable damage.. increasingly so on Each event??

Sun May 05, 2013 3:17 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

It's certainly possible. I firmly believe that I screwed up the exhaust gasket (although it's hard to tell and because when I plugged the exhaust it quit almost right away I'm a little doubtful) when I installed the Pro-Rep because I rAn that engine for 400Kms on the other exhaust at all throttle levels and had 0 issues.

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail

Sun May 05, 2013 10:25 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Has anyone had problems with the variator and fixed pulley faces wearing out so as to not let the belt ride up the face completely?

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail

Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

No. Your problem lies elsewhere.

Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thank you for saving me $140 :) I'm looking forward to getting back to my previous setup. With a Top Trophy this time though. I'll keep on with the sharpie marks.

Leo Vince TT Exhaust
Carbon fiber reeds
Stage 6 14/42 Upgears
Dual Headlight Mod
Vented Trans Case
Shaved tail

Tue May 07, 2013 9:24 am
Scooter Addict

scootertuning.ca sells em. That's where I got mine from. Come in very handy!

Nick Batzdorf wrote:
If the diameter of the shim is wrong then you really are fooling around where no man should go. Or woman.

It's the thickness of the shims that one changes, and as you can imagine this way more subtle than shoving in any old washer. Stage6 sells a box of variator shims. I forget where I bought mine, but that's what you want.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:31 am
Newb
Newb

Wasn't sure where to ask this but this thread seemed right.

I have a 2005 Zuma 50 with only the Fly Racing pipe and the included 4.3g rollers and red clutch springs which I'm assuming are 2000rpm since it revs to the stratosphere before engaging.

What is the ideal accelerating rpm for my essentially stock 50cc with a pipe? Currently, my tachometer indicates a relatively steady 7,500rpm from about 10mph to 33mph where it then starts climbing in rpm. I'm trying to figure out what rpm I should be tuning to. Thank you!

Also, does anyone know what the factory accelerating rpm is?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3