View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 YAMAHA ZUMA CVT SPEED VS RPM CALCULATOR. ( VARATOR TECH ) 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
Post Re: Speed versus RPM calculator
Okay, this is interesting...so let me ask a couple of other questions.

How does a torque driver affect the ratio if it's allowing the belt to travel to the outside of the variator? For that matter, how do the drive face and variator affect the top speed (assuming they're the same diameter so the belt is in the same position)?

And how about this: is it possible or likely that my Malossi TD isn't allowing the belt to ride all the way up the variator? My transmission is not tuned yet and I haven't checked with a Sharpie; I have much more trial and error to do. My contra is shot and I'm waiting for the medium one I ordered (hopefully tomorrow) to compare to the stiff Malossi yellow I already have - but at the moment the bike has a hard limit of about 48MPH (even going down hills) even though it's hitting 10.5K (measured by checking the pitch - F2, so 175Hz x 60 seconds = 10,500 RPM).

That's without upgears. I have 15/50s to install, but I want to get it dialed in right before putting them in.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:42 pm
Scooter Addict

backinblack wrote:
What year scoot? And what size tire in the back?

The motor is an 04, and the rear tire is a 120/80 12". Front rim is 90/90 10" and stock gears. RPM was 13,800.

Im dying to know what the top speed is, and im not very good @ math :cheers:

Stage6 Crank Bearings
Stage6 70cc Race Big Bore Kit
Stage6 Air Filter
Stage6 V-Force Reeds
Stage6 Torque Control Clutch
Stage6 Evo Kick Starter
Malossi Multivar Variator
Malossi Drive Face
Kundo Clutch Bell
Composimo Intake Adapter
NCY GY6 Manifold
PE20 Keihin Carb
Yasuni City 16 Exhaust

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: 2008 ZUMA YW50
Nick Batzdorf wrote:
Okay, this is interesting...so let me ask a couple of other questions.

How does a torque driver affect the ratio if it's allowing the belt to travel to the outside of the variator? For that matter, how do the drive face and variator affect the top speed (assuming they're the same diameter so the belt is in the same position)?

And how about this: is it possible or likely that my Malossi TD isn't allowing the belt to ride all the way up the variator? My transmission is not tuned yet and I haven't checked with a Sharpie; I have much more trial and error to do. My contra is shot and I'm waiting for the medium one I ordered (hopefully tomorrow) to compare to the stiff Malossi yellow I already have - but at the moment the bike has a hard limit of about 48MPH (even going down hills) even though it's hitting 10.5K (measured by checking the pitch - F2, so 175Hz x 60 seconds = 10,500 RPM).

That's without upgears. I have 15/50s to install, but I want to get it dialed in right before putting them in.

Nick, 48.4MPH is what the calculator spits out with your numbers.....so a hard 48 is good man. Put in those gears.

Motor #1(2008) R.I.P this listed configuration, for it breaths new life under the rule of a new King...ENJOY NICK B!!!: Athena Sport BBK, Ported case, Power 1 HPC crank, Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 24mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter,Malossi drive face, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario - (22.5g), S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller.

Motor #2(2005): To be built.....ported cast iron 48mm bore, 41.4mm stroker crank, Ported case..(the rest of the following I don't have 2 of each...this stuff is coming off the 2008 motor) Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 21mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario, S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller, Athena 15/50's for 12:1 ratio

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:44 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

bradthreee wrote:
backinblack wrote:
What year scoot? And what size tire in the back?

The motor is an 04, and the rear tire is a 120/80 12". Front rim is 90/90 10" and stock gears. RPM was 13,800.

Im dying to know what the top speed is, and im not very good @ math :cheers:

The calculator says, 63.8MPH, provided you were running top gear and no wind. I just did that calc with the standard tire height. If you give me the distance from the center bolt to the floor on your rear, I can average the front and rear, but the number won't be that different. I'd say you were going about 60.

Motor #1(2008) R.I.P this listed configuration, for it breaths new life under the rule of a new King...ENJOY NICK B!!!: Athena Sport BBK, Ported case, Power 1 HPC crank, Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 24mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter,Malossi drive face, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario - (22.5g), S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller.

Motor #2(2005): To be built.....ported cast iron 48mm bore, 41.4mm stroker crank, Ported case..(the rest of the following I don't have 2 of each...this stuff is coming off the 2008 motor) Yasuni City16 (fully derestricted), Stage 6/Mototassinari V-Force 3 reed cage, OKO 21mm flatslide carb, S6 R/T rear facing manifold, running pre-mix, S6 BIG filter, lightened flywheel, Lightened Athena vario, S6 R/T WingCooler Bell, NCY TD, Malossi Delta clutch 107mm- 8K engagement, Malossi red Contra w/Malossi Torsion Controller, Athena 15/50's for 12:1 ratio

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:49 am
Scooter Addict

:cheers:

That Yasuni pipe made a world of difference. Also need to fine tune, hopefully be able to squeeze out a little bit more :D

Stage6 Crank Bearings
Stage6 70cc Race Big Bore Kit
Stage6 Air Filter
Stage6 V-Force Reeds
Stage6 Torque Control Clutch
Stage6 Evo Kick Starter
Malossi Multivar Variator
Malossi Drive Face
Kundo Clutch Bell
Composimo Intake Adapter
NCY GY6 Manifold
PE20 Keihin Carb
Yasuni City 16 Exhaust

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't see how this calculator could be accurate, unless you were riding in a vacuum. Even when the wind is still, when you're riding you're still going to have to deal with wind resistance, and that seems to slow down a scooter alot.

JDM taillights
Tmod
Derestricted exhaust
Leo Vince ZX chrome

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 05 Z50 4200 miles, 70cc Polini, 84 jet, Leo Vince zx, Athena Variator, stock clutch w/LV yellow springs and Athena contr
I'm going to, BnB, soon's ah get a chance.

But my 48 is according to the speedo, not a real 48. And it's weird that it's stuck there going down a steep hill. Unless there's something I'm not thinking of, that can only be a belt problem: not going all the way out, or maybe it's worn (I don't think so).

Anyway, I do need to play with the transmission a little more first. So far I like the Malossi torque driver - it still has lots of take-off power (enough to wheelie) and is really smooth - but I need to see what happens with the new contras, put in lighter weights (it's too heavy now), and also try the Polini variator first.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Yasuni C16 exhaust, Buzzetti kick stand to make room for it (and Stage6 paddock stand after dropping the freaking bike because of the kick stand); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 15/50 gears (also have 14/42s pressed into a gearbox cover, just switched back and like the 15/50s so far); 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, "racing" red springs/lighter "racing" counterweights ± 6800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi 6112811 Overrange kit, red contra and 28.2G rollers; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; back to the stock shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

pat-daddy wrote:
I don't see how this calculator could be accurate, unless you were riding in a vacuum. Even when the wind is still, when you're riding you're still going to have to deal with wind resistance, and that seems to slow down a scooter alot.

It is accurate to a certain level and has been tested. Of course there is wind resistance, but if the motor is turning the rpms and the trans is in high gear, then the numbers are very close. We are talking on or less than 50mph for most here, wind really kills over 60mph.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Nick Batzdorf wrote:
I'm going to, BnB, soon's ah get a chance.

But my 48 is according to the speedo, not a real 48. And it's weird that it's stuck there going down a steep hill. Unless there's something I'm not thinking of, that can only be a belt problem: not going all the way out, or maybe it's worn (I don't think so).

Anyway, I do need to play with the transmission a little more first. So far I like the Malossi torque driver - it still has lots of take-off power (enough to wheelie) and is really smooth - but I need to see what happens with the new contras, put in lighter weights (it's too heavy now), and also try the Polini variator first.

I've never known my speedo to be off, as other have stated...it always matches my GPS. Also take into account that you don't have a tach too, I know that you know the sound of a note if anyone does here, but it's still not a tach. I've had a leo spin to 11200 down hill, but usually it tops out at 10500 to 10800. I really and truly think you are in need of a bit more trans tuning, but are out of legs and RPM with your current setup. More RPMs will net more speed and so will the deeper gears. They are both effective methods for an increase.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:33 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 96 Jog 05 Vino 08 C3 04 Super 9 00 SR
I wonder if my Jog has a different diff ratio. On the calc it shows I must be turning about 12,500 rpms....and Im real sure with the stock pipe its not. I had to enter the .889 diff ratio because i have no clue what this one is.

BTW I have a 12.75 final drive with a 7.5" radius...and no tach. But its a stock bore and pipe and I would have to guess its not pulling more than 8500 rpms. Anyone know what a typical rpm is on a stock bore and pipe?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

buguy wrote:
I wonder if my Jog has a different diff ratio. On the calc it shows I must be turning about 12,500 rpms....and Im real sure with the stock pipe its not. I had to enter the .889 diff ratio because i have no clue what this one is.

BTW I have a 12.75 final drive with a 7.5" radius...and no tach. But its a stock bore and pipe and I would have to guess its not pulling more than 8500 rpms. Anyone know what a typical rpm is on a stock bore and pipe?

Measure the rear wheel from center to the ground for the tire dimensions on the calc.....the .889 is the zuma vario....not sure if the jog one is larger, but that final drive is deep compared to a stock zuma.....do the calc again....you shouldn't be getting 12,500. I'm thinking about 45mph at 8500 rpm

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:38 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I measured the wheel center to ground, and that is where I got the 7.5", but I mis-read what you said and measured the front tire. The rear tire is 8.5" so that should help get the numbers more correct. Its the measurement where you are getting .889, any idea how to come up with that number? I know the final drive of the Jog is 12.75 per Overrev.

I plugged the new 8.5" tire radius number in and it was closer. But I am getting an average 48 mph and to come up with that number (using the .889 varo) it says I would have to be over 10,500 rpms. So I have to assume that my diff number (which im still not sure what that is) must be much lower. In fact it looks like I have to plug in .7 in the diff section to come up with 48mph. My 48mph is GPS by the way.....and in fact I have hit 50 before. So something isnt adding up? I was just thinking too that i pulled the washer out of my varo, maybe thats where im getting the difference in the .889? And maybe because my bore is worn and only making 75 psi of compression i am able to rev to 9000 rpm? I would really like to know how to get these numbers so I can plug them in to get right where I want to be with gears and the pipe and other parts.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

buguy wrote:
I measured the wheel center to ground, and that is where I got the 7.5", but I mis-read what you said and measured the front tire. The rear tire is 8.5" so that should help get the numbers more correct. Its the measurement where you are getting .889, any idea how to come up with that number? I know the final drive of the Jog is 12.75 per Overrev.

I plugged the new 8.5" tire radius number in and it was closer. But I am getting an average 48 mph and to come up with that number (using the .889 varo) it says I would have to be over 10,500 rpms. So I have to assume that my diff number (which im still not sure what that is) must be much lower. In fact it looks like I have to plug in .7 in the diff section to come up with 48mph. My 48mph is GPS by the way.....and in fact I have hit 50 before. So something isnt adding up? I was just thinking too that i pulled the washer out of my varo, maybe thats where im getting the difference in the .889? And maybe because my bore is worn and only making 75 psi of compression i am able to rev to 9000 rpm? I would really like to know how to get these numbers so I can plug them in to get right where I want to be with gears and the pipe and other parts.

If the vario is stock.....try and find the spec sheet for the jog. I'm not sure how it's calculated...I grabbed the zuma one from the service manual. Maybe the stock pipe will rev out to 9K or 10K. You could also try the note to RPM conversion Nick B has on here to try and get an estimate as well. The calculator shows 48.7 mph at 9k rpm with a tire radius of 8.7(for slight expansion) and a .75 factor for the vario...maybe the vario is slightly larger than a stock zuma?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Could be? I also took the washer out of the varo, so im sure it closes up a bit more than most. So maybe thats enough to give it the extra mph. I know I gain 4mph by taking that out. Also I dont think it revs that far. When i listen to the hi-po scoots on Youtube, they rev MUCH higher than mine does. Hummmm....maybe i will just take a quick vid here soon.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:29 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

buguy wrote:
Could be? I also took the washer out of the varo, so im sure it closes up a bit more than most. So maybe thats enough to give it the extra mph. I know I gain 4mph by taking that out. Also I dont think it revs that far. When i listen to the hi-po scoots on Youtube, they rev MUCH higher than mine does. Hummmm....maybe i will just take a quick vid here soon.

Yeah man.....get a tach or find the note. Without knowing the specs, it's hard to calculate.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next