View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Malossi Delta Clutch Tuning 101 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2003 Yamaha Zuma Dual Headlight Mod
Post Re: Malossi Delta Clutch Tuning 101
So if my rollers are too heavy it will make my clutch engage earlier? :confused:

TP Tophy BBK
Stock airbox-w/UNI filter pad and snorkel removed
Dellorto PHBN 17.5mm carb-90 main/30 pilot/50 starter jet A12 needle w/clip at middle notch (still tuning)
Polini Evo reeds
Motoforce derestricted intake
Stage6 Pro Replica
Malossi Multivar-33gr total weight
Malossi Delta clutch- red MHR springs and MHR weights
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Rear Pulley Assembly from an '08 Zuma
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers
JDM Fender With Clear Lenses
flush mount front turn signals

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:40 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Take the shims on the front variator pulley as an example. the more you shim. The lower the belt will ride in the V. The lower the ratio. The lower the ratio, The slower the rear pulley will turn, the clutch is attached to the sheave, so it is yes it is affected. The engine will have to turn faster to drive the clutch. The Clutch engages by rpm of the rear sheave, @ the springs strenth. Any thing that effects the Rpm of the rear sheave effects engagement. Slipping belt, Stuck pulley,Ect.

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:28 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks like I need to go lighter then. I'm using 7gr rollers right now and a yellow Malossi contra, red clutch springs, with the adjusters at the tightest setting, and the race weights in the middle position. Clutch is engaging around 6,500rpm. :doh:

TP Tophy BBK
Dellorto PHBN 17.5mm carb-90 main/30 pilot/50 starter jet A12 needle w/clip at middle notch (still tuning)
Polini Evo reeds
Stage6 Pro Replica
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm now running all 6.5gr rollers, and the clutch is engaging around 7,300rpm now. Acceleration is definitely better, but I'm hitting over 10,000rpm on the topend. :wth:

What would happen if I went to a softer contra spring? I have a new white Malossi spring that I can try.

TP Tophy BBK
Polini Evo reeds
Stage6 Pro Replica
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:40 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

When you say Topend. Do you mean maximum speed & Rpm. Or that is what it is revving to 10K while accelerating. If your, acceleration and down shifting, are what you want. leave the Contra alone. You might find if you change 1 weight a time, a 1/2 gram heaver you can fine tune the acceleration / Rpm. If it is revving out to 10k on a stock crank. You can to increase the gear ratio. Install a HP crank. Or back off the throttle!

MHR Hyper Race, 70cc #318440 / Yasuni C-16 pipe, Stage 6 HPC 12mm Crank, Polini C-3 Race Brg. MVT premium, IGGY, TNT- Adj- Inj Pump / Y-Plate, Motul 710, Malossi Over-Range Var-6.0 rollers,Torque Boost Rear Pulley & Stage 6 k-belt, Orange, Contra / 1 spacer, DR HIT Clutch,red malossi race / no pillows+ STG 6 433 Bell, 15-50 Up Gear, Moto Tassinari VF3 Reed's & 4mm spacer, Clone-Blk 21mm, MJ #-94,PJ#42, W-7 2nd , 45*Slide, OEM Airbox , Snorkle out, 5 vents, Side Stand, Daytona Style Alloy Wheels,WD Torsion Arm, Stage 6 R/T Multimeter, Strt-8-HD Fan Trimmed + Air Scoop 50cc Fan Housing, Frt - Pirelli - SL 26 - 120/90/10, Rear- Shinko - 160/70/12, Frando Racing / 5DV-001 Ceramic Rear Shoes - Sigma BC-8 Speedometer-

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:46 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, I'm talking about the max rpms at top speed. Acceleration is my main goal, but I want to be able to keep my speed too. With the stock variator and 4.3gr rollers, and a soft contra spring I was never seeing revs that high. I guess that I will try adding weight, like you said, to try and find a better balance. A new crank is definitely on the wishlist though, because this pipe likes to rev, and I'm not one to stay off the gas. :D

TP Tophy BBK
Polini Evo reeds
Stage6 Pro Replica
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

What I Do is take a wide Felt tip marker. When you have the variator apart mark the inner pulley with stripes (4) should do it go from the center out to the outer edge.
After a few test rides you can determine if you are going all the way out with the belt. They never go all the way out to the end. But you will see what I mean. Just remember the more shim's thickness, you add to the front pulley. The better "off the line" performance will be. But you generally lose it at the top-end, by limiting how high the belt will ride. Add weight at a 1/2 gram at a time, and you will find the sweet spot.

It is best to do all this with a New / OEM belt, after 100 miles break-in.
The belt width plays in to all this.
I try to use the lightest Contra I can get away with. The weights last longer, less heat is generated.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:06 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

The belt that's in there has about 500 miles on it, and I'm running the thinnest shim that came with the Malossi variator. I had already marked some lines on the pulley before, so I know the belt rides out to a 1/4" from the edge of the variator. I haven't lost any speed, I just don't like the fact that my rpms are so high at over 40mph.

TP Tophy BBK
Polini Evo reeds
Stage6 Pro Replica
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:13 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its crank time, you can increase your gear ratio, Over-Range Vario, Gear up kit, Larger wheel and tire. All of these will affect the acceleration negatively except for the crank. The Overange Vario's will give you both a lower and higher ratio. but are Expensive and usually use different roller sizes. Gear up kits work effectively but are noisy & you loose some acceleration.
You can never go wrong with a crank-upgrade. Good winter/project. If you go with a 12mm pin type you are improving it one step further IMO.

I have found when you start revving over 11k, You make your self a target. At least that has been the case where I live.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:39 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

The crank is probably going to be an end of season project. I have 15/50 gears that I will be installing after I install the TP Trophy kit.

By target, do you mean a target for the police?

TP Tophy BBK
Polini Evo reeds
Stage6 Pro Replica
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers

MORE COMING SOON!!

My Zuma

ChuckD420's 2003 Zuma

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:22 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was never pulled over in 5 yrs of riding. Put on a Stage 6 race kit & tuned it for max power, I was pulled over 2 times in 3 weeks.
I was not ticketed in either stop. Both times it went like this. I am riding 45-50 MPH on a 2 lane 45 Mph posted rd, that every one does 50+ on.
I pass the spot that everyone local knows is a, speed trap the township cops park at. I look in the mirrors and he pulls out behind me, lights on, no siren.
I pull over at the next cross street. Take off the helmet and stay on the bike.... Drivers license,Registration & Insurance cards Please, ... I inform him that my stuff is under the seat, He watches me retrieve it and, I hand them to him. He smiles & tells me to stay by the curb next to the scoot. He then walks back to check my documents. 10 minutes later. He returns my documents. He politly asks me if I know why I was pulled over. I reply I do not believe I was speeding, Its the noise, If I have to guess. He informs me of the lack of Inspection Stickers. And informs me that all motor vechiles in PA, that travel on the Highway Need SI. He then informed me they received complaints of overly loud vehicles & Speeding on this stretch of highway. He was checking to see if I was running open pipes. He then asked me if I would mind starting it up. No problem, I start it up. He nods okay. Tells me to drive safe. I put the helmet on and continue to drive home, He follows me a couple minutes and I go home.

I have not had State Inspection stickers on any of my scoots. My comeback has always been its only a 50cc scooter. That is usually enough of an explanation. Not this time, I was told to get it inspected or else. I know that the Inspection station will grab me for the pipe & turn-signals.
It was is a noise Issue. I'm sure of it. I can hear my son riding towards our house a 1/2 mile away.
I put my Corsa back on & Tuned for Torque. If I ever decide to track it or have a have spot to run with out noise restrictions, I can put The S-6 back on in an, Hours work and have a base of settings for weights and Jets in a box.
I,m sure the Silencer is well packed, because I replaced it at the beginning of the season. My take is you can't taken a race tuned cylinder & make good power, and not have lot more noise.

Once you hit 12.5K you are a Target for anybody that does not like Noise.
Which I found to be the local PD and quite a few of my neighbor's.

The increase in top speed was Impressive, So were the rolling wheelies.
But at the end of the day, not worth the added trouble. IMO

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Please make this post a sticky.

Malossi Sport 70cc BBK - Stage6 PRO Exhaust - Dellorto PHVA 17.5mm 92MJ, 34Idle, A12 Needle Up One Position, Snorkel Removed - Athena Primary Drive Gear - Nology Hotwire - Malossi Reed Cage - Malossi Multivar - Stage6 Rollers 30g - Malossi Delta Clutch - Malossi Wing Clutch Bell - Malossi Torsion Controller - Malossi Yellow Contra - Motoforce Racing R6 Rear Shock - Slipstreamer Windshield - Dual Headlight - Triple Brake light - EMGO Trunk - Ram-Mount for GPS

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:20 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can one of the Moderators, remove my ramblings from Overrevs Excellent post on Clutch Tuning. I apologize. I jumped in and didn't realize. I had gotten so far off topic.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:58 am
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'm using the Stylepro version of this clutch and noticed a few differences.

The weights that come with the clutch weigh about 9.8g, and the weights that came with my malossi race springs weigh 10.3g

Has anyone weighed the stock/sport weights that came with an official malossi delta clutch?

I've had to use slightly stronger springs on the stylepro clutch than the malossi manual suggests to get it to engage at the RPM I want.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็09 BWs - Stage 6 Sport Pro, 19mm Arreche (#80 main), Leo Vince ZX-R, Malossi Multivar w/ 4.5g weights, Stage 6 Torque Control clutch, red malossi torque spring.
ZumaForums Montreal Thread

Sun May 06, 2012 11:00 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

fff wrote:
I've had to use slightly stronger springs on the stylepro clutch than the malossi manual suggests to get it to engage at the RPM I want.

Have you tried lighter rollers? I'm in the process of tuning my clutch, and like Corrosion told me, the weight of your rollers will effect clutch engagement. Heavier rollers make the clutch engage earlier.

TP Tophy BBK
Polini Evo reeds
Stage6 Pro Replica
Stage6 WingCooler bell
Malossi white contra

Dual Headlight Mod
C3 Mirrors
Stage6 CNC brake levers