View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 TRN: Roller weights 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post TRN: Roller weights
Taken from a post by Dougman
I figured this deserved its own write up in an easy to find thread.

I received my set of variator rollers to tune the engine to run in the new pipe's power band.
First the easy part: Putting on the new pipe.
There are only 4 bolts to take off when you take off the old pipe. two 10mm bolts under the engine , and two 12mm bolts on the side of the bike to mount the pipe. Just loosen the 12mm bolts first but don't take them out, then take out the 10mm bolts. Then finish removing the 12mm bolts to take the pipe off. Assemble your new pipe and bolt it back on the same way you took off the original pipe. Here I have the Technigas Next R pipe in Chrome.
When I first installed this pipe, it could barely reach 40kph without tuning. It was running about 30kph down the block. It was SLOW. I had to remove it before I can use it going to work because the traffic here run around 60kph normally.
Here is my new set of Rollers for the Variator, 16x13mm rollers for my Athena Variator set. I believe a Variator is also called a CVT or Constant Variable Transmission. If you are not familiar with how a Variator works you can read it here complete with diagrams http://www.teamcalamari.com/zuma/variator.html .

This roller set is in sets of 3, whereas the variators use 6 rollers. So i can put 2 sets alternating to produce the weights I want. For example, if i put the 3g + 4g rollers, would end up with an average of a 3.5g roller set, or 5g+7g set will average to a 6g set. So for this set, I can get a range
of 3.5g to 7.5g.

First remove the bolt from the kickstarter and then pull off the kickstarter (red arrow), then use the oversized screwdriver in your BWS and unscrew the 2 screws of the airbox(orange), and then the 3 screws on the plastic cover (yellow). The airbox should just hang off the carburator, and the plastic cover should come right off.
You will need a 5mm allen key to remove these bolts. They are all shown in the picture. The two green bolts are longer than the orange ones, and the red one is the longest one. After getting all these bolts off, you have to rock the cover up and down to try to get it off. It is still connected by 2 sleeves in the holes where the green bolts were. Mine were rusted and it took a LOT of time and struggling to finally figure out where it was stuck.

The rollers are located here in the front section. You will need a impact wrench to get that 17mm nut off. Here is a tip, if you don't have an impact wrench to do this, GET ONE. It took me 2 days of trying to figure out how to get it off without one, until I finally just bought one. They can be had for about $50. After you take the nut off, all the parts behind it can be pulled out. Take off the fan part, and remove the belt from axis. I would recommend just grabbing the rest of the parts behind the belt and pull it all out at once, to minimize all the rollers that fall out.
I took out the original rollers, they were 7.5g rollers, and replaced them with 4g+5g rollers as seen in the picture. Then I put the entire thing back together the same way I took it apart.
Then test it! You have to go through all these steps over and over to change rollers, it is a HUGE hassle to do it and it takes A LOT of time. I didn't have time to test other combinations as I needed to return my tools. But as-is, it runs a lot better, and the scooter can accelerate up to 70kph at a reasonable pace. The noise it makes is louder and higher pitched as the rpms are higher than normal.

I will try other combinations if I have time later, but I am happy with the results so far.

I can reach 70kph within a 10-15 seconds on flats, and it seems that it will maintain the speed on hills, but cannot accellerate very well on hill from a dead stop (as expected). The change in RPM at different speeds is kinda odd, but good for me. It will run at high rpms and fairly ok acceleration from 0-20kph, then the RPM's will go low from 20-50kph, then it spins up again from 50 to 70kph. This is a LOT better than going 30kph. :D

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Post Re: Roller weights
Fantastic write-up and pictures, thanks Dougman and Jdubbya!

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

just like to point out that the '08 Zuma doesn't have the plastic tranny cover.

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

This will be helpfull to me soon.. thanks

Gallery
My T-Mod Tut.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:44 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

[quote=jIThe change in RPM at different speeds is kinda odd, but good for me. It will run at high rpms and fairly ok acceleration from 0-20kph, then the RPM's will go low from 20-50kph, then it spins up again from 50 to 70kph.
[/quote]

This is a symptom of a weak torque spring.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:25 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

The_Head wrote:
This is a symptom of a weak torque spring.

or Contra spring if you wanna be fancy.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Post Re: TRN: Roller weights
i have a white and a yellow C springs, what are the ratiings on these?

Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:48 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the write up. Very informative as usual. Great work :waycool:

KillerXray

91 Honda Civic-project
69 Pontiac Firebird-future project

MY GALLERY

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:11 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

This is the thread I used when i started playing with my var weights! good stuff here! This should be stickied along with some other good threads.

Or a mod should make a sticky post of nothing but links to these articles with breif descriptions of each!
(that way people that don't like to search...should get it right in the first post) :haw:

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:46 am
Scooter Addict

wait so these steps you use will also work for an 08 zuma right? i'm guessing a BWS is just a zuma with a different name in a different region of the world??

http://www.spsegundo.com

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

VEGAS_08ZUMA wrote:
wait so these steps you use will also work for an 08 zuma right? i'm guessing a BWS is just a zuma with a different name in a different region of the world??

functionally identical...

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

[quote=jIThe change in RPM at different speeds is kinda odd, but good for me. It will run at high rpms and fairly ok acceleration from 0-20kph, then the RPM's will go low from 20-50kph, then it spins up again from 50 to 70kph.
[/quote]

I had nearly the same problem, I am using an Athena contra spring that came with my variator, today i went from 3 x 4g and 3 x 6g to 2 x 4g 2 x 4.8g and 2 x 7.5g and it revs high all teh way to 45 MPH, very little change in RPM now, before it would scream up t0 15 mph, lose tons of rpm's and slowly build back up past 25-30 to 45.

Maybe try 2 x 4g 2 x 5 g and 2 x 6g to see if it gets rid of the midrange problem I thought I had a too weak contra spring as well, but this setup is me best yet- I hit 40 in less than on block now - before It would take forever to go from 15-25 and thats where I drive all day in 25mph speed limits - so I had to fix.

01 Vino, LV ZX, LV clutchspring yellow,30g rollers, athena variator, Athena contra spring, CF mirrors, #80 main jet, Nology hotwire, Mega snorkel .75" ID, pirelli SL 26, hell airhorn

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:59 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Skateboard kid, you shouldnt be putting in 3 sets of two. Only 2 sets of three. Otherwise your weight balance is off and you can bend your crankshaft.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:31 pm
Profile YIM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

ok I can see how that works - I am back at 3 x 4g and 3 x 6g and am gettign the revs dropping all the way off at 20 mph and then from 30 on it pulls hard. I am thinking that my athena contra spring is crap, or has been toasted by long hot rides. My 0-15 if awesoem as well.

01 Vino, LV ZX, LV clutchspring yellow,30g rollers, athena variator, Athena contra spring, CF mirrors, #80 main jet, Nology hotwire, Mega snorkel .75" ID, pirelli SL 26, hell airhorn

Tue May 19, 2009 1:45 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

If your still running a 50cc cylinder, 5's is too heavy. You need to average between 4-5...from the sounds of it less than 4.5.
I'm 200lbs and I was running an avg of 4.6/7grams per roller. 3.7 and 5.5
That setup was good for flats and lost a little going up steep hills, but any heavier or lighter I ran into huge power gaps. (hills or not)

Tue May 19, 2009 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next