View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 ENG: Yamaha Zuma 08' Throttle Mod Tutorial 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post ENG: Yamaha Zuma 08' Throttle Mod Tutorial
It was noon and me and my dad were bored... So we decided to get with it and do the "Throttle Mod"

At around 12:15pm

We parked the zuma in the garage and started the disection of the zuma...

Step 1: First thing we did was remove the battery cover... 2 simple screws holding that badboy on....

Step 2: We then removed the seat from the bucket, 2 Nuts..

Step 3: Then we removed the rack on the back... takes 5mm allen wrench to get that off.. bolts were (really snug) 4 of them

Step 4: After the pesky rack on the back came off we took the side panels off...

(Make sure you dont lose the clips that keep the side panels on)

Step 5: Next you want to remove the panel infront of the bucket, 3 screws

Step 6: You now want to remove the bucket... 4 screws...

You now have everything thats needed to be off.... what you gotta do now is remove the "Throttle Assembly" Unscrew the 2 screws holding it on.

"Use T-25 Security Bit" *Available at most harware stores or auto shops*

But.. before you can remove the throttle assembly ... you need to remove the fuel supply hose... *Be sure to crimp the hose so fuel doesent spill out*

Also unscrew the 2 cable mounts that hold the cables in place and remove the cables from the throttle slide

Once that's all done it should slide off the carb..

Step 7: (Thanks to T-Mang for the following)

Now take out the tiny screw above my thumb in the picture it holds the throttle cam onto the arm that connects to the slide. (there is a tiny plastic spacer in there between the housing and the arm just above the thumb so don’t loose it) now that you have your throttle cam out cut it to look like the 05 throttle cam pic. This part is fun you have to set the spacer in the housing on the side that the shaft of the throttle cam goes in I used a smidge of grease to make it stay then put the arm and slide in put the spring on the throttle cam making sure the hooks on the spring line up to the pins on the cam and carb. The rest is reverse of what you did to get here. Hope this helps. ----Tmang

Step 8: You should see an outline from the 05' yamaha zuma mold cast on the 08' one... **It is very hard to see... try sunlight or bright light to notice it** Kinda like magic eye books lol

outline should look like this kinda lol :)

Notice my sharpie marks...

Step 9: Use whatever you can to hack away at the metal outline... "I used a saw zal and a cutoff wheel" lol :)

Step 10: Clean the slider to make sure no metal shavings are present.... clean it all up :)

Step 11: Put everything back together in reverse order...

Step 12: Start that baby up and you will see 40 mph and great acceleration...

Before:

After:

Thanks to everyone that helped me do this (Zumaforums.net) is amazing...

Gallery
My T-Mod Tut.

Last edited by Rubadubcubb on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:07 am
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Post Re: Yamaha Zuma 08' Throttle Mod Tutorial
Thanks alot for posting your tutorial and pictures. I think your the first member to show the disassembly of the scooter in your pictures. Well done! :)

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:15 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just hope it helps people that were wondering what kinda of body work needs to come off the zuma and lists what comes first :)

( I love http://www.zumaforums.net )

Gallery
My T-Mod Tut.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:18 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Excellent job, I found it necessary to only remove 2 fore most screws from each side panel, then you can leave them on the scoot along with the rack. This allows you to pull them out about 2 inches to remove the piece in front of the bucket and the bucket.

Not sure if that really saves much work or time though.

I would like to note: be sure that the spring clips that the sheet metal screws fasten to are firmly in place on the lip of the bucket when re-assembling. (I learned this the hard way and had to disassemble again to retrieve my clip that was sitting on the motor somewhere.

Also the T-25 bit mentioned is a T-25 SECURITY bit. (there is a hole drilled in the end, because there is a pin in the screw head) Some find this confusing because the Torx was designed as a "security measure". So i guess the Security version should be called a "Security Security" Bit.

2008 Zuma 70cc (TP Trophy BB) CF Reeds, #85 main, Corbin Seat, RRGS Shock, ZX pipe.
2008 Zuma 70cc (Athena BB) #84 main, ZX Chrome pipe. My awesome wife's ride.
Athena Vari, SL-26 shoes, C3 mirrors on both.
52-53 mph (GPS) top speed on both!

Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:30 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thats right zuma ^ .. forgot about the security bit part lol... and yeah those damn clips... i used some sticky putty to hold em on there

Gallery
My T-Mod Tut.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:16 am
Scooter Addict

I just followed your guide and WOW there was a HUGE difference in my 08 Zuma. $9.99USD for the set of "security T bits" and $3.99USD for the hack-saw both from Auto Zone. Thanks for the detailed info and keep it up with the guides.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:32 am
Profile WWW
I am the shit
I am the shit

thats a nice modpost :q:

Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:58 pm
Newb
Newb

Post Re: ENG: Yamaha Zuma 08' Throttle Mod Tutorial
Hi All, I just bought an 08 zuma and first off, thanks for this great forum! Second, I tried to do the mod tonight and had an unfortunate mishap! Somehow, as I was putting the throttle cam back on the cam broke off of the shaft. I am in need of a new throttle cam and figure at this point I may as well buy an 05 cam... the only problem is I am having trouble finding one on the web. Can anybody point me in the right direction. I could try an order one from the dealer, but I was hoping to find a site.

Figures, if there is a way to mess something up, i will find it!

Thanks! Look forward to getting the scoot fixed. It kills me to look at it in pieces! Thought this was going to be easy, wasn't expecting the cam to break that easy.
:wth:

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:03 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your throttle cam :(... how did it snap?? Post some pics of where it happened....

As far as getting a new piece, im not sure? dont think they make the 05 one... you would have to get a stock 08 one...

Gallery
My T-Mod Tut.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:04 pm
Scooterologist

You can't just buy a throttle cam, it is not sold as an individual part. You are stuck now trying to find someone who has an extra carb/cam or buying a carb altogether. How the heck do you break that part to begin with?? Was a hacksaw used? Sure hope not! This procedure is one of the easiest things you can do to the Zuma, I can't figure how anyone could screw it up?? Sure hope you get LUCKY and find a new cam!!

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:37 am
Scooterologist

Just a question on this mod (as I'm now thinking about doing it to my only 5-day old '08!): does this void any kind of warranty?

When I purchased mine they also sold me a 5-year warranty to fix it whenever something went wrong (doesn't cover basic maintenance, though). If I perform this modification, has anyone had their warranties voided?

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

Don't do it if you want your warranty!!!

Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

Bo Eder wrote:
Just a question on this mod (as I'm now thinking about doing it to my only 5-day old '08!): does this void any kind of warranty?

When I purchased mine they also sold me a 5-year warranty to fix it whenever something went wrong (doesn't cover basic maintenance, though). If I perform this modification, has anyone had their warranties voided?

yamaha claims to be very strict with there warranty but it is actualy up to the dealer
under us law yamaha must prove that what you modod caused the failure to refuse a warrenty claim being some dealers are doing it for free or a charge i didnt worry about it i have 4 year as for this actualy causing harm to the engine i think not as the trottle was restricted to meet emssions

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:37 am
Newb
Newb

Rubadubcubb wrote:
Sorry to hear about your throttle cam :(... how did it snap?? Post some pics of where it happened....

As far as getting a new piece, im not sure? dont think they make the 05 one... you would have to get a stock 08 one...

I used my dremel to do the mod, when I was pushing the throttle cam back in to place the cam broke off of the shaft it is mounted to. I wasnt using excessive force. I will try to take pictures this weekend.

After talking to the dealer I am pretty sure I will need to get a whole carb assembly. Am I correct in assuming that an 05 carb will work on an 08?

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:38 am
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Sounds like you ground too much off the throttle cam, and got too close to the hub. I was wondering when someone was going to do that....For people who haven't done the mod yet, make sure to grind off the MINUMUM amount of metal, to let the cam fully articulate. I'm pretty sure the 05 carb will work as a replacement.

Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next