View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Roller weights and clutch spring swap 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post Roller weights and clutch spring swap
This is part 2 of the Leo Vince pipe install, the variator tuning and clutch spring replacement.

Take out the 3 crappy phillips screws holding the plastic tranny cover on, mine was missing 1 screw, so 2. If you know anybody with an impact phillips, borrow one, they are really in there and will round off really easy. Also, take out the 10mm bolt on the kickstart and wiggle the kickstart lever off.

Take out all the allen bolts holding the tranny cover on.

A trick I saw on Youtube, poke all the bolts into a carboard box in the correct position, so you know what went where.

And pop off the tranny cover.

Here we see the variator, belt and clutch.

Grab your impact gun and a 17mm socket and hold the variator with your stapwrench. Pop the nut off the variator.

It helps to try and wiggle the variator off as a whole unit, that way all the rollers and V bushings dont fall out, I just winged it.

Here we have the inside of the variator. I alternated the blue Leo Vince rollers with the stock ones. It is the more popular combination here, or so it seems.

Now pop the variator back together and reassemble it on the scoot.

Clutch springs

Grab your strap wrench and grab hold of the clutch bell, pop off the 17mm nut with your impact.

Pull off the clutch bell.

And clutch.

Put the big nut in a vise and grab hold of the clutch with your strap wrench and loosen it up (this was a female dog)

Hold the torque spring compressed while you finish loosening up the nut by hand. It will try to pop apart once the nut is off.

Now pop the old springs out, I used a pick tool,

Now stretch the new springs side to side a little to break up the paint holding the spring together, and pop them in, I used the pick tool again to pull and hook them. It wasnt as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

Now the tricky part, fight the torque spring and hold the clutch together while trying to thread the nut on right.

Toss it back in the vise and tighten it back up with the strap wrench.

Now I put the variator on first and snuck the belt on the clutch as I was putting the clutch back on. You will have to spin everything and play with the clutch before the belt will tighten back up. I did the variator first to make sure all the splines were seated correctly before tightening it down.

And we are back together, make sure everything is tightened down correctly inside.

And put the cover back on.

I left the kickstart and plastic cover off for now, in case I have to open it back up for any reason. Now, its test ride time.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Roller weights and clutch spring swap
Wow, great write up and the cardboard trick is a very smart tip. Thanks. :waycool:

KillerXray

91 Honda Civic-project
69 Pontiac Firebird-future project

MY GALLERY

Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:05 pm
Scoot Master

Thank you so much for such wonderful "How to". Great job on everything! :)

Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:38 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great Job !! Nice pics.

I am pretty sure you would not have to take the Kick Start off though. You don't on an 08 at least, It comes off with the cover as one assembly. :)

Oh I think I see why now, to get the plastic cover off. I am glad they ditched that for the later years.

If it where mine, I would get three short screws to plug those holes and leave the thing off.

2008 Zuma 70cc (TP Trophy BB) CF Reeds, #85 main, Corbin Seat, RRGS Shock, ZX pipe.
2008 Zuma 70cc (Athena BB) #84 main, ZX Chrome pipe. My awesome wife's ride.
Athena Vari, SL-26 shoes, C3 mirrors on both.
52-53 mph (GPS) top speed on both!

Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:19 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

With the leo weights make sure the closed end is getting the is going to be forced against the guide on the variator first if the open end of the weight is being pressed first I've seen the brass from the weight dammage the guide in the variator and cause the weight to jam. If that makes sense.

one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:45 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

T-mang wrote:
With the leo weights make sure the closed end is getting the is going to be forced against the guide on the variator first if the open end of the weight is being pressed first I've seen the brass from the weight dammage the guide in the variator and cause the weight to jam. If that makes sense.

the Leo instructions show this; the "closed "edge of the roller goes on the "start of rotation" side of each roller slot (if you are looking at the roller guides from above, start on there left with the closed end on the left and go around from there)

2005 Yamaha Vino 70 AIRSAL, stock airbox and exhaust
2010 Honda Elite 110 stock office runner
2010 Honda SH150i, 12g sliders
2006 Vespa LX 150, 2006, Sito plus, 9.5 Dr Pulleys, 38 idle jet
1979 Vespa P200, Sito plus, 118 jet, drilled air filter, the best!!

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:56 pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

If you can manage to imagine that it was spinning in a forward direction the covered side goes towards the back which would be where it gets slammed up against when the engine begins to spin. <--- that is spinning forward but the starting edge is actually ---> this edge. Get it? (It starts the friction as everything slides towards it due to inertia.

Nice write up my friend! I wish I would of bought a band wrench to do this. I just used my good ol' monkey grip (but i've been working on stuff for quite some time now)

Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:04 pm
Scoot Master

right on dubbs, i have some clutch springs and the rollers ready to go in...this is good reference material if im lost.

thanks

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm
Newb
Newb

strap wrench :doh: I need one of these. Amazing write up :patriot:

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 pm
Newb
Newb

awesome post! i've been trying to find a post on how to remove the clutch bell. maybe a clutch holder would help it from popping out when unthreading the nut. :doh:

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:24 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks again for this tutorial JW, it really made everything seem familiar while I taking the transmission apart for first time last night.

Although, I do have some things to add.

I didn't have to take the clutch apart to put in the new springs. After I removed the whole clutch/pully assembly from the scooter, I easily accessed the springs with some needle nose pliers.

While I had the belt and variator off, I removed the shiny glaze and gunk from the sides of the belt and both variator surfaces by lightly scotch-briting them. I don't know if this'll help anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt either.

On the downside, I did manage to tear up the crankcase cover gasket (blue gasket), it's $7 to replace from my local Yamaha dealer.

KillerXray

91 Honda Civic-project
69 Pontiac Firebird-future project

MY GALLERY

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:33 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

what's your top speed now?

JDM rear fender
Pirelli SL 26 tires

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:13 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Nice writeup!! Should make this a sticky!

Progrips__Road Star mirrors_Pirelli SL26

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:41 am
Newb
Newb

Good tutorial, but im new to the whole automatic belt drive concept. can someone explain what is the point of this mod? and how it achieves this?

-Eddie

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:05 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Eddie, the balance changes when you replace the stock exhaust pipe with a higher performance one that generates more power.

The variator works by centrifugal force; the rollers move outward and allow the belt to ride higher as it spins faster - much like putting it into a higher gear (it goes faster but has less power). You need lighter weights when you change to an aftermarket pipe because of the RPM range over which it generates power.

http://www.zumasrus.com/zdox/ztip4.html

You also want stiffer springs to cause the clutch to engage at higher RPM. The bike lags if it engages too early.

'05 Zuma 50, Athena sport 70cc (12mm piston) with Polini head (.9 squish), B9ES spark plug; timing advanced about 2˚; Leo Vince HM 70 pipe, silencer from ZX-R (1-1/2" longer); stock airbox no snorkel, 5 x 1/2" holes; Stage6 21mm racing PHBG, 45/95/W7 1 lean/40 slide; Polini/Power One 12mm HPC crank; Athena 42/14 straight cut gears; 107mm Malossi Delta clutch, ± 5800 RPM engagement, Stage6 Kupplungsglocke (bell - the light one); Malossi Overrange kit, red contra and 36G Dr. Pulley sliders; VForce 3 reeds; Michelin Bopper tires; RFY shock; dual headlight wiring; C3 mirrors; Trailtech TTO tachometer and temp gauge.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next