View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Finally Happened Zuma Died on the Road 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Finally Happened Zuma Died on the Road
Well after all the trash talking I do to my friends scooters always breaking down (honda ruckus with china engines) mine finally died for the very first time ever. But I do have over 12,000 miles with not one problem before that.

So first thing I do is disconnect my fuel controller, when I had wired it up I made it so I can unplug it incase it ever went bad. I could just run lean and get back home. Nothing happened.

I used the tool under my seat, finally had a use for it :cool: :cool: :cool:
and pulled out my spark plug. Now usually on any other bike this is easy but I have the ncy direct ignition coil so that requires a allen wrench to remove it. Now years ago when I took off this coil I had an internal spring break off and fall out from corrosion. Someone else had this problem too. So I was wondering to myself if the spring finally broke apart and wasnt making contact. But since it is bolted onto the plug you would think even if the spring broke its still inside conducting electricity. I did notice the top of my spark plug had green corrosion.
After I get it all off I did have spark and I could see the spring inside so guess it was fine.

I had great battery because it would keep cranking over no problem. And I could smell fuel so I knew I was getting fuel. But would not start, nothing. I had bypassed the kickstand switch, but that wouldnt allow the fuel pump or spark to work, and I had that working so dont think it was that. All fuses were good too.

So I towed it home. Connected my psi meter and had 170 or so psi. I did check when the big bore was brand new years ago and it read 175. So I think my psi is pretty good for over 6000 miles on the big bore. Was happy about that!!!!

Thankfully I had just done a big bore and oil cooler on my friends zuma so I used that bike to start swapping parts onto mine. First was ecu. No start.

Next was his spark plug. Now ive been using an iridium since I got the bike, those should be good for the life of my scooter. But figured lets try the easy stuff. And I had no idea where my old one was. No start

Checked the valves, in spec
Checked timing, looked to be 1 or 1/2 tooth off. But chain was tight, doubt it skipped a tooth. I will leave that for last.

Next was to see if my injector was squirting out fuel. It did.
Tried my friends stock injector because I had just removed that for his big bore, thinking if mine was maybe clogged. No start

Tried swapping throttle bodies, since they do have 2 electrical connections on it and my fuel controller did tap into a wire on it. In case something inside died. No start

Well im pretty much at the end of troubleshooting. I really never messed with the stock harness wiring, even though I have a ton of led lighting and crap most of all that is connected to switches and fuses directly to the battery. So I was pretty confident my wiring wasnt messed up anywhere.

I could check the pickup coil on the flywheel I do have the service manual here but I had seen the coil spark so dont think it was that but it will be left for last too.

Im down to 2 options now. Fix the timing but I highly doubt it was that as its run forever like that
or change the coil, since it was aftermarket its my last choice before taking to a shop

found the old coil, spliced it back into the wiring

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it was the ncy direct ignition coil. Its either going bad, not making enough spark or the spring inside is broken and once bolted onto the engine it makes too much gap inside??

I may try to shove in another spring, or say F it and just use the stock one.
Sure I could buy another one for probably $50
after all it did last over 12,000 miles

But im not sure, its a real pain to do simple troubleshooting with it since it bolts to the valve cover, and a pain to check my spark plug
and the stock type are very easy to swap out

So who knows, now I need to reconnect my fuel controller, tape up a ton of wires I was sorting through and put the seat and storage back on.

But at least the nightmare is over
Had fuel, had compression just didnt have a strong spark, who would of thought it was that simple

Only took 3 hrs to figure that out, when it was the very first thing I had tried but since its basically hard wired it was too inconvenient to swap out to another coil to do more testing

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Scooter Addict

Post Re: Finally Happened Zuma Died on the Road
Glad you fixed it. Broken down on the side of the road sucks. Hope you get another 12k worth of easy riding out of it.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:49 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

yes it really sucks
thankfully I was 5 min from home and had another rider with me so I just went home and got my truck

now if I was hours away.... :gonk: :gonk:

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

As I was reading I, just for a moment, thought you might be stumped. Should've known better..lol. Quite methodical and good info.

You know what Scotty says? "The more plumbing there is, the easier it is to stop up the pipes..."

:D

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]