View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 zuma 125 advice 
Scooterologist

Post zuma 125 advice
looking at a 2014 zuma with 900 miles on it guy wants $2600 for it, is it worth it?

can i keep it fully stock and just change gearing?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:52 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: Zuma 125 (162cc BBK) TMAX 530
Post Re: zuma 125 advice
Its not a bad price, but haggle a $100 less. What gear ratio you looking for? Your better off with upgrading the variator and rollers. 10&11gram sliders work nice too

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

just more top end speed i would say, i would be commuting on a long road and want to stay in lower rpm at higher speeds and then if i switch areas just swap original gears

whats the difference if i switch the stock gearing or switch to heavier rollers for top speed or???

Last edited by justy on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:18 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

scooters and mods: Zuma 125 (162cc BBK) TMAX 530
Unless you up the CC's all you're going to change is the acceleration curve. To put it in the simplest terms... If you add top speed by adding heavy rollers, you have to steal acceleration from the bottom end.

Think of rollers/sliders as a fine adjustment knob on a microscope, the final drive gears are the coarse adjustment, and a Big Bore Kit(BBK) is like changing the objective lens. Then there is the Tourqe Driver or rear pulley, that adds a whole new layer of tuning... I can not give you a specific lay out of parts to use, because each rider will have difference outcomes when you factor in rider weight, belt wear, altitude, other parts on the scoot. All these things play a huge factor. Paruse the forums, check out some of my videos on the CVT. Hopefully this helps.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

got it

now im just deciding if its worth saving $1000 and go for 2009 with 6,500 miles on it fully serviced

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:54 pm
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 13 zuma 125 - stock
I'd go with the 09 and save a few bucks if it was in close to the same cosmetic condition if i were you... same bike

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:46 pm
Scooterologist

ill wait on some more zumas to see ballpark and meantime i will read up on variators rollers sliders if i should or should not

Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:03 pm
Scooterologist

just bought a 2012 zuma 125 but it needs plastics, anyone know where i can get plastics from? also will the zuma fit into a 4runner trunk? i need a way to transport it

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:58 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

There are hitch carriers available, if ur forerunner has a strong enuf one (cat 3 I believe it is?) as for body parts, i always order from boats.net .....slow delivery at times (they've improved as of late) but pretty darn cheap!

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:37 pm
Scooterologist

wow thanks for help, i just cant seem to find that matte titan color anywhere but will keep looking, i will have to find measurements of the zuma height and length as the carrier isnt coming in time although im ordering one now that was a good idea for steel its less than $100 shipped and aluminum around $150

which would you go?

steel rated at 500lbs and aluminum at 400lbs

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:57 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: FA$T Zuma 155cc
are you looking to use the carrier all the time
or just once

because the cheap ones you can get from harbor freight, or online that come in alot of pieces you have to bolt together ive seen use the middle support beam for the tie downs

which means the bike is forced to the center when strapped
and that means unless the back tire is strapped towards the center also it could roll off the carrier, I had this happen to me on another bike hit a big bump the suspension moved a touch
causing a slight slack in the straps, bike then rolled to the middle of the carrier and fell against my truck
instead of the street
Now when strapping I zip tie the brake levers to also help prevent any shifting

and the ones ive seen have pretty short ramps so if your truck is taller the ramp is super steep
I had to buy my own long ramp when using that carrier type and I still have a problem loading my zuma
My cheap one you bolt together from online is aluminum, double bike carrier
but still has steel center beam

I also have a carrier that I got from a motorcycle shop that has the tie down points directly under the handle bars
this keeps it stable and straight down
all steel design and I think it was around $250 10 years ago

I still tie the rear wheel down but its not needed
and came with a full length ramp that bolts onto the carrier when transporting

so what im trying to say is if your planning to haul a bike alot, get the carriers that have strap tie down directly under the handle bars

like this type

another nice use, you can work on your bike using the carrier doing light maintenance
saves your back and knees working on a chair comfortably

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

the carrier you posted is nice, i would use it often im guessing, ill have to see whats out there its probably better to buy one than make one right?

you also have those guards for the lights i just ordered a set as well they look good

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:02 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

well if you got the ability to make one and a good stick welder sure why not

im sure you can make one 1/3rd the cost

but it wont be powdercoated mine is over 10 years old lives outside and barely has any rust on it
and the ramps may not be as nice as a bought one, and of course the time it takes to make one

I try to factor in all that sometimes its cheaper and faster to buy one

I suppose if you get the cheaper ones you could rig up the tie down under the bars
on mine its the dual carrier and its aluminum
so I didnt want to try to bolt some crossbar to the aluminum floor, its not super thick
and I have no way to weld to aluminum
so I can live with the center tie downs to be able to carry 2 bikes at a time

if you get the cheap steel one then probably could weld up a better tie down

on my single carrier I had welded a plate for an old dirtbike I could set it on the kickstand (doesnt line up for my zuma though)
before putting on the straps, made it very easy to tie down that way
because its hard to do it all by yourself with a heavy bike, trying to wrangle the straps and keep the bike from tipping off

the headlight guards are a pain to install
you have to totally strip apart the head light housing almost 100%

its a total replacement of the stock cover
I had hoped they just snap over the front, nope they dont

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Scooterologist

hopefully those guards arent too much of a pain , i might just buy a steel one they sell for less than $100

only other thing is the plastics now i have to contact the dealer to see if i can get the sides and front, do you know if 2014 will fit on 2012?

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:29 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

2009 and up all the same plastics, everything is the same
just different colors

so if you want the same color, use your year

if you want different color use another year

but also make sure there is no color code either when purchasing
I would think white maybe has a w
yellow has a y
just incase they reuse the same numbers just add something at the end or beginning for the color code

im not sure ive never bought body panels

2010 Zuma 155cc

Image Image Image

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next