View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 2016 Zuma 125 -- New Owner Observations 
Newb
Newb

Post 2016 Zuma 125 -- New Owner Observations
After ten years of riding a Genuine Buddy 125, I purchased a 2016 Yamaha Zuma for $4300 OTD. So far I am very happy with it, and it is a major upgrade from my old Genuine bike.

I just put my first 100 miles on the scooter and during this period I got about 81 mpg.

Fuel gauge question: at the 100 mile mark the fuel bars disappeared and a flashing gas-pump appeared indicating I needed to refuel. I made it to a gas station straight away and added 1.22 gallons of gasoline. The tank reputedly holds 1.7 gallons meaning that the fuel alarm triggers with about 1/2 a gallon of gasoline still left in the tank -- meaning I had about a range of 35-40 miles with the tank registering as empty.

So, how much gasoline do you have left once the fuel pump starts flashing?

As for my impressions here's what I posted over in the Buddy Forum:

2016 ZUMA 125

(1) Higher build quality
(2) Better Suspension
(3) Better Breaking
(4) Quieter engine -- you almost can't hear it
(5) Better side view mirrors
(6) Digital Gauge
(7) More under seat storage
*8* Higher ground clearance
(9) Much better turning capabilities
(10) Easier to put stand down (the main one, not the side kick stand)
(11) No oil filter and recommended oil changes after 1,800 miles
(12) Air filter gets replaced, not cleaned.
(13) Locking ignition hole so thieves can't tamper with your ignition.
(14) Has a tachometer and clock.
(15) Features two headlights in front (one is a high beam) and a third front light to help identify the vehicle at night as a motorcycle and not a cyclops car.
(16) Much more stable at high speeds.

-----

BUDDY 125

(1) Quicker acceleration
(2) More road feel
(3) More personality
(4) Better wider hand grips

As everyone knows, the Buddy 125 is substantially cheaper $$$ out the door costing about $825.00 less.

Sat May 28, 2016 12:18 pm
Newb
Newb

Post Re: 2016 Zuma 125 -- New Owner Observations
I now have 300 miles on the scooter and overall I am pleased. News and notes include:

• 81 mpg average after three fill ups.

• Gas Gauge says empty with about a half gallon of gas still in the tank

• If Yamaha could outfit the same bike with a 150cc engine -- it would be optimal. My top end speed so far has been about 59 mph downhill. I would prefer the bike be able to hit 60 mph on a flat surface. I don't need top end speed often, but when I do, it is a bit lacking.

• Overall my satisfaction is high -- but I think if I had been able to test drive the Genuine Hooligan -- I may have been seduced by its 170cc engine.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:16 am
Newb
Newb

I purchased my 2016 Zuma 125 just over two weeks ago. We have ~350 miles on it so far. I have been trying to get it past the break-in period before letting the wife ride it. I noticed an increase in speed/power after about 275 miles. I am disappointed in the lack of accessories and aftermarket parts for it. I guess in time that will come. One very disappointing thing is the headlights. I really liked the look of the older two round lights. The only reason we bought this one was a good deal. Out the door everything included was $3812.00.

I have gotten in up to 57mph. That was on a slight downhill run. I have on flat ground taken it up to 50mph and it had no issues getting up to that speed. Once the break-in period is up I will see what it can do with respect to speed.

Safe scooting to everyone.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:08 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

the lack of aftermarket parts??? :doh:
there are a ton of aftermarket parts

maybe your not looking in the right places

there are a couple shops online that sell parts

some china websites that sell even more parts
japan website

or contact people directly in taiwan and they have so many parts available its never ending

even the newest zuma has a lot of parts already but the 2015 and older will have the most right now

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the observations and feedback. I'm trying to decide between a new old stock '14 and '16 for about $1200 more.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:08 pm
Newb
Newb

My 2014 Zuma 125 was stolen two weeks ago (who would steal a scooter?) Anywho, I just purchased and rode the new 2016 Zuma home. I immediately noticed the upgraded suspension! I too feel my other Zuma had more punch off the line; hopefully this will get better in time (or maybe that's how they squeeze out another ten miles per gallon). Oh, the 2014 had a spring loaded seat.
Guess I will have to get used to the digital speedometer. I prefer the analogue. Hey, this one has a clock!
Yes, the stand seemed easier to set.
I feel the seat is stiffer on the backside.
All and all, I got the 2016 over the 2015 the dealer had because of the changes. I use the scooter to run errands like to the grocery store and can use the extra storage under the seat (Ha! More beer :)

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:27 pm
Newb
Newb

I like the lights. They have a better field than the previous ones. And the digital speedometer is also better now that I have grown used to it. I ride in the dark morning each day and return in the afternoon on my commute. I took a long spin out to the boonies here in San Diego area last Sunday. A lot smoother ride and better control. I see I have to ride up on the front of the seat to get comfortable. If you ride towards the middle it is like a 2 x 4 on yer backside and it is pitched forward some. I guess this is for the topless babe that rides on the back :q:
Still kinda wimpy on the take-offs tho. This is my only disappointment so far.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm
Newb
Newb

2200 miles in I can say I also appreciate the huge undersea storage compartment. The ride is smooth, and my #1 complaint is a lack of top-end speed for the occasional highway ride I take (always in right lane and always for a short distance.) I have to performance complaints on regular roads or city streets.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:46 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

They offer a ton of parts for upgrades on the bike. I have a 164 cc that is computer tuned and I hit 70mph no problem. I get 1 tank of gas to the corner of my block but I get there fast. My bike feels violent for a scooter. Loud and fast.

:)

https://www.rcscooters.com/big-bore-kit

https://www.facebook.com/RCscooters/photos_albums

contact chris if you need mods to make the bike perform

I'll post a pic of my speedo here in the next few days to show you the difference. 0 to pew pew pew in seconds.

have a good one.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]