View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 I am back in the game :-) 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post I am back in the game :-)
It’s been about 2 years since my unexpected absence from the zuma scene and scooters in general.  It happened shortly after my 3,000+/- mileage stroker 165cc BBK had prematurely failed due to incorrect  ‘squish’ clearance between the head and the piston at TDC. 

The piston just barely kissed the head enough for the top ring land to crack off and distort the rest of the piston causing a minor nick in the head (thankfully no valve damage or rod/crank damage).  It literally blew oil out of the intake and exhaust immediately after the failure which occurred while riding on the highway just above 70 mph for an extended time.  The extreme temps during this situation allowed the rod to stretch just enough to close the 6-7mm squish clearance I had established during the Taida 165cc stroker build. 

It just so happened that right around the time I had this failure occur, I was in the process of switching to a new daily driver (Smart Fortwo Electric Drive).  I had such a blast driving the electric car because it’s economical, has instant torque during acceleration, and it gets the daily commute job done with no real range anxiety for my particular situation.  So, my scoot was pretty much cast aside waiting for the day I would have the time to rebuild it.  I also discovered that my free time was about to become pretty much nonexistent after having my first child, so this pushed my goal of rebuilding the scoot even further back.

Now that it has been a couple of years, I am finally able to squeeze in a few hours here and there to get this rebuild going.  I’ll post pics of the progress and the piston carnage later tonight.  For now, I’m just glad to be back in the game!

How-To: Fix All LED TurnSignal Flashing & NonFlashing Issues
How-To: BWS Asian HID Projector Headlight Retrofit
Taida King Cam (New In Box) For Sale: $90 Shipped
KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:15 am
Scooterologist

Post Re: I am back in the game :-)
Welcome back! Zumas are a BLAST!

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

KillerScooter/BTX Foot Pegs/Bar (Scuff Marks & Slightly Bent Mounting Tabs, it Still Works Great!) For Sale: $50 Shipped
PM me for Pics...

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:26 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I ordered a new 59mm forged BBK from Chris @ RC scooters that is specifically machined to work with a stroker crank/rod setup. The piston has a low profile deck and the cylinder is also Nikasil plated.

This time for extra precaution I adjusted the cylinder gaskets to give a squish clearance of about 1.3 to 1.4mm. ~1.4mm is a safer clearance which will allow additional room for heat expansion, but not too much clearance as to cause an inefficient fuel burn during the combustion cycle and result in poorer performance and a dirty running engine.

PM me for Pics...

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:15 pm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Good to see you back. I had a piston detonate once. I just broke down and got the stand alone ecu be glad to holler at you about it cuz its the sheeeeeezy!

Attachments:
13245321_981128225274738_3147202305718065395_n.jpg
13245321_981128225274738_3147202305718065395_n.jpg [ 114.2 KiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 am
Scoot Master

Welcome back!!!

2011 Zuma 125 w/ RC 155 BBK, 230mm Koso Roller Rocker Arm & Cam Kit, Koso 30mm Thottle Body, Bazzaz Fuel Controller w/ Self-Mapping Unit, Zumike 9" Stretch Kit, Two Bros Black Series Exhaust (Painted Black) w/ Two Bros P1X Powertip, Samurai X Shocks, GJMS Swingarm, RRGS Caliper w/ DrowSports 260mm Brake Rotor Kit, TST Variator, Koso Adjustable Clutch, Koso Clutch Bell, RC Race Torque Driver, NCY Contra Bearing Kit, RRGS 1000rpm Contra Spring, HoBao Cam and Valve Covers, RC Cold Air Intake w/ Simota Filter, CNC Adjustable Handlebars, Steering Stabilizer, Rigid LED Light, PGO Digital Gauge, Koso Taillight, Koso Mini LED Voltmeter and Oil Temp Gauge, SRP Direct Coil, Taida Hi-torque Starter, Drowsports Carbon Fiber Lower Fairing, DrowSports Carbon Fiber Rear Fender, DrowSports Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, Carbon Fiber CVT Cover, Carbon look Taillight Cover, Gas Filler Cover, RPM Carbon Fiber Fan Cover, RPM Ignition Cover, RPM Gas Cap, GJMS Rear Shock Brace, GJMS Speedo Cable Holder, Highway Bars, Dual Headlight Mod w/ LED Bulbs, LED Front and Rear Signals, Aluminum Footrest Plates, Cupholder, Bag Hook, and.......a couple more future items!

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]