View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Final Drive Oil 
Newb
Newb

Post Final Drive Oil
Hello,

I'm brand new here, so I thought I'd break the ice with a second post and ask a question about the final drive transmission oil.

The owners manual states to use SAE 10W-30 TYPE SE.

I've always used full synthetic SAE 85W-140(GLS) in the rear final drive on all of my scooters. My zuma has over 4K miles on it and I want to change the final drive oil out ASAP.

Any info on what you're using or what is recommended would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:35 am
Newb
Newb

Post Re: Final Drive Oil
Just an update, I contacted two local dealers with this same question. The one dealer serviced my zuma yearly for the previous owner. I was told from two different Yamaha service departments to use 10w30 or 10w40 engine oil in the final drive. The one individual said that he was certified and went on to explain that thicker viscosity gear oil should never be used in the transmission final drive on motorcycles unless the owners manual specifically specifies to do so.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Final Drive Oil
for stock 125cc you can use 10w-30 motor oil and best if was synthetic. another alternative is synthetic gear oil in 75w-90. there is a chart online showing the similarities in viscosity from motor oil to gear oil.

now for a modded engine like 190-218cc, i normally suggest 75w-100, little thicker to cope with the big increase in torque. if you don't the gears can wear out prematurely. 110w and higher is just too thick, drags it down and deceleration is bad.

HOEDAR ECU, GJMS, HOBAO, KOSO, PG,
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=16410 <------ RC R&D

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]