View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can you light off-road the Zuma? 
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Post Can you light off-road the Zuma?
I don't have a scooter yet, and I was wondering if anyone takes their scooter off-road. I live in the high desert, with wide open spaces, and millions of goathead sticker thorns. Will these thorns go thru the tires? I really like everything about the Zuma, but it would be nice to have the Vino 125 {hate the massive chrome headlight though. How often do you have to adjust/shim the valves on the 4 strokes? I know the first valve adjustment is 600 miles I believe...It would be nice to have a scooter that could keep up with traffic, in the 40 mph zones here. If the Zuma will hold up on some off-roading I would definitely go that direction, but worried about the thorns. I wouldn't want to have to buy shims, and hassle with adjusting the valves. Supposedly, the C3 doesn't need a valve adjustment(after the first one) for 28,000 miles.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:04 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

The original Zuma was designed as an off road scooter. Notice how much the design resembles a dirt bike.

Will the thorns go through the tires? Yes! A big enough thorn can go through any tire, no matter how thick.

The Vino, on the other hand is a boulevard scooter. Insufficient ground clearance for any serious off road work. Look at how the exhaust is routed vs. the Zuma.

Valve adjustment on the Vino 125. Typically, OHC motors do not require valve adjustment very often. I have yet to hear of anyone who has put enough miles on a Vino 125 that they actually needed one, so that question is truly in the "unknown" category.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:29 am
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Post Thanks for the reply
This is just the information I was looking for, thank you. I can only buy one scooter, so I have to get the right one, the first time. The stickers usually have a 1/4 or less needle on them, in fact alot of them are much smaller. I'm wondering if anyone runs tire liners, or slime-products to guard against flats? There are alot less stickers if you stay on the dirt trails, and don't blaze trails across the open desert. I guess the cars or dirt bikes, quads, Rhino's, going down the dirt roads pick up the thorns, so there are less of them. Have a great week!

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:54 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is a problem with the slime-type products and fix-a-flat as well. They solidify when cold and the wheel runs way out of balance. :(

Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:17 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 Yamaha Zuma, Red, race driven.
Ran into that problem with my Raleigh bike. Then again, maybe the slime people didn't expect people to ride bikes below freezing.

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
You could probably do some light trail riding but I would try not to suck up alot of dust into the airfilter and watch out for ground clearance. Ive heard of a few people messing things up by bottoming out the scooter.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Post Thanks
Thanks alot for all the replys......didn't think about the airfilter, was more worried about the stickers and broken glass. I guess you could run thorn proof tubes super thick rubber)in the Zuma's, not sure if anyone makes one. Tire liners would be another option, if you could find one wide enough, or maybe you could lay the tire liners side to side. Can you mount up a tire with tire wrenches?

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:24 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Since your in high mountain desert this shouldn't be a problem for you, but thought you might find it interesting.

http://www.provoscooter.com/vbull/showt ... hp?t=11489

A word to the wise..... :eng101:

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:59 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

scooters and mods: 2002 Zuma, Duplicolor Deep Jewel Green, dual headlight mod, brake light led scanner.
I wouldnt really call that light trail riding. I wouldnt try jumping it either.

The way i see it, the internet friendship is like a scooter in india. we got room Dub, if you want to be part of this show? IN the india, zuma, friendship scooter you got at least 5 to 6 spots. We got 3 full... in Mike, Bio, and me... and we are best friends... but we are looking for 2 more people to fill the full wolf pack.... Are you part of the pack?

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Post Hello !
Thanks for the link OldGuy...I learned along time ago, don't go in the mud unless you have to. I don't care that much for the cleanup after going mudding anymore. I prefer to stay on sand or hard packed dirt. Found a Vino 50 about 130 miles away, and the dealership wants 1495.00 for an 06 with 212 miles on it. Boy it sure seems like scooters are holding their value! I'm going to wait and get a Zuma, I really like the low maintenance and looks of the scooter. I like working on small engines, and upgrading it will be fun. I saw an 08 modified Zuma a few days ago, and it sounded like a small dirtbike, and it was hauling A$$

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:15 am
Scoot Master

scooters and mods: 2008 Yamaha Zuma YW50Xb
I've ridden my Zuma down some dirt roads on my way to school before. (Yes, down here we aren't as modernized.) It wasn't bad, but you could definitely feel the back wheel slide a bit if you cornered too aggressively.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:17 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've ridden my Zuma down some dirt roads on my way to school before. (Yes, down here we aren't as modernized.) It wasn't bad, but you could definitely feel the back wheel slide a bit if you cornered too aggressively.

Maybe you need a rear disk brake. :haw:

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:20 pm
Scoot Master

scooters and mods: 2008 Yamaha Zuma YW50Xb
I certainly don't need understeer either.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:26 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I used my zuma as a pit bike. Which is off road, with a few bumps. Much different than trail riding, but close. I'm not sure how much besides the tire sizes is all the makes it off road. But it helps. If you can go slow, and use it for basic transportation through a short cut, it will work fine. Don't try and cross a stream.

Valves on any scooter should be checked at least within the first 600 to 1000 miles. The valves don't really wear in that time, but they seat themselves in. Valves also don't have to get loose and clatter, they can tighten. You WILL lose performance with a tight valve (tight, meaning less than required valve clearance). After the initial clearance check, you probably won't need one for a LONG time.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:07 pm
Zumaforums V.I.P.

Post HI!
I know what your saying Zuma, I never have worked on a small 4 stroke motor b4. I don't like worrying about sucking a valve, when I'm riding a dirt bike way out in the desert by myself. Yamaha had alot of problems with their cylinder heads, and the titanium valve(s). 2 strokes can seize, but will usually get you home if you let it cool down for awhile. Sometimes they just melt down........The water cooled motorcycle 2 stroke engine is an amazing piece of art, IMO.
Higher failure rate in 4 stroke small engines=more moving parts. I feel more comfortable racing down a trail, (on a quad) , but if it's a dirt bike..2 stroke. Plus I like a snappy throttle for riding off road!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next