View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Malossi 70cc 
Scooterologist

scooters and mods: 2013 50F
Post Malossi 70cc
Hello, I just got the Malossi 70cc kit for my Zuma. I read the instruction book that came with it and it sounds to me like the fuel controller that came in the kit will only be controlling the fuel and I leave the OEM ECU installed. Does this sound right to everyone?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Mike

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:47 am
Scooterologist

Post Re: Malossi 70cc
Attachment:
IMAG0141.jpg
IMAG0141.jpg [ 332.39 KiB | Viewed 4843 times ]
ok, after looking at the controller closer this morning i am sure that the ecu will stay in and the new conroller will only handle the fuel scheduling. If anyone knows for sure different, I would really appreciate it. the instructions that came with it are like a google translator english. Mostly straight forward and seems easy enough, just kind of getting hung up on this controller.

Mike

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 am
Silver Member
Silver Member

scooters and mods: *2002 yamaha vino classic*
Umm. Where did you get this kit? Link info please

Engine mods:
Motoforce Evo crank Stage 6 Streetrace kit Dellorto 17.5 man choke
Polini carbon fiber reeds. Gianelli shot exhaust
CVT mods:
Polini Variator. Hebo Driveface. Malossi Winged Clutch Bell. Stage 6 clutch springs
Suspension:
RDR Nitrogen Filled Shock (rear)
Frame:
Home fabricated 6" stretch 2" lower
ZF member #14

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:43 am
Scooterologist

I got this from Racing Planet but Enviromoto also carries it. I also got a new variator and upgears, but still waiting for the upgear to get here. Plan on putting the kit and variator on this weekend. The upgear supposed to be here tomorrow... we'll see.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:53 pm
Scooterologist

I put the 70cc kit in today. Took me all day but I got it in. Started it up and idled for a while and then just a little ride down the street and back to warm it up. I just wanted to get the coolant through all the lines. I am letting it cool now, will check coolant in the morning and go for a ride and see how it is.

Had me worried at first, it wouldn't start and when it did it wouldn't idle unless I held the throttle wide open. Instructions didn't mention much on the settings on the controller but i got it starting and idling good now.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:46 pm
Scooterologist

Attachment:
IMAG0148.jpg
IMAG0148.jpg [ 472.6 KiB | Viewed 4798 times ]
here she is naked. Looks pretty bare when you take off all the plastic panels

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:21 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

scooters and mods: 2008 zuma - t-mod
Glad to see somebody is trying this kit. Yea when I looked at the controller and then the factory parts diagram I could see that this unit only takes over the fuel. Probably the factory ECM controls the ignition timing{and rev limiting} as well as the fuel. Looking forward to just how much performance you gain from this.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:43 am
Scooterologist

speedandstyle wrote:
Glad to see somebody is trying this kit. Yea when I looked at the controller and then the factory parts diagram I could see that this unit only takes over the fuel. Probably the factory ECM controls the ignition timing{and rev limiting} as well as the fuel. Looking forward to just how much performance you gain from this.

Well, I have been out running around a little this morning and... I LIKE it! The difference in 49 and 66cc really surprises me. It pulls hard now all the way no dead spots, accellarates well uphill and in the wind. Only thing is it is idling a little rough. After I start to go it is smooth but then when i stop it takes a little while to come back to a slow idle. Right after I stop the idle is high, too high, then it comes back down to a slower, kind of rough idle. I also put the stock exhaust back on, the TBR was waaaaaay too loud.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 am
Scooterologist

molefb wrote:
Umm. Where did you get this kit? Link info please

Oh yeah... it is marketed for the c3 or giggle.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:58 am
Scooterologist

If I put it on the center stand and rev it a little and let off the throttle the engine will rev and stay revved for a little bit after i let off the throttle before it slows down. Do you think this sounds like the intake leaking? it has 2 orings sealing it, I'm sure they were in properly but I don't know what else could be causing it. I didn't mess with the airbox, it is the stock one with the snorkel still in. I have tried with and without the snorkel and it didn't make any diff. in performance only made a louder noise.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:04 am
Scooter Addict

scooters and mods: '03 Zuma, JDM tail, Buddy front signal lights, S6 mirrors, Blk wheel stripe, chrome fan covr n scoop,S6 meter
Sorry, but I can't help.

I did find this impressive that someone in OUR area is spending the time and money to upgrade the new 50F and not a NPS50. LOL!

PM me if ya wanna ride sometime.

'04 Vino Dull Metallic Red=Doppler Endurance, S6 MKI Sport Pro, Dellorto 21mm PHBG, S6 Pro Rep, 17/44 Malossi upgears, Malossi multivar, S6 MKII clutch, RRGS drag forks w/composimo lowering springs, Daytona 8hole rims, Brembo P32, KN 190mm wave rotor

'03 Zuma Vivid Yellow returned to stock, Leo Vince ZX, '08 gears

'07 White Camo Z50 swapped Ruck=Motoforce Evolution c/s, S6 MKII Sport Pro, Dellorto 19mm PHBG, Polini 45* intake manifold, S6 V-Force reedcage, Yasuni C-16, Malossi multivar, S6 MKII clutch, S6 bell, 14/42 Athena upgears

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 am
Scooterologist

Time for the old starter fluid while its running trick. The one when you let it idle and spray all the connections and listen for a change in idle. I have owned enough old clunker cars that this trick is priceless! And wow, Im in shock that someone went BBK on a 50F! Not a cheap or easy mod by any means. Good luck on finding the cause. I have a starting issue with a 125 thats giving me a bald spot and a eye twitch at the moment, so I know what your going thru.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 pm
Scooterologist

I have about 200 miles on the scooter with the kit now and it runs great! The idle issue I have narrowed down to the fuel controller that came in the kit. If I put it on 4 (bypass the controller and go back to the ECU) it idles perfect, but... it runs very lean and is actually slower than it was stock. When I keep it on Map 1 it idles around 1700-1500 RPMs, it doesn't die just sounds slow. Also, I'm not so certain that the rev limiter is in the ignition. It might be controlled by cutting off fuel? I also put in a Polinni variator but I have hit 52 on GPS and the rev limiter never kicked in. I don't know the RPM's so maybe the variator just made that difference, not sure. At 52 MPH I let off the throttle because i got nervous about the rev limiter.

Mike

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 am
Scooterologist

Z156 wrote:
Time for the old starter fluid while its running trick. The one when you let it idle and spray all the connections and listen for a change in idle. I have owned enough old clunker cars that this trick is priceless! And wow, Im in shock that someone went BBK on a 50F! Not a cheap or easy mod by any means. Good luck on finding the cause. I have a starting issue with a 125 thats giving me a bald spot and a eye twitch at the moment, so I know what your going thru.

You're right, it sure isn't cheap but it isn't that hard. It did take me some time but there wasn't anything that was hard or difficult. I did unbolt the fuel tank to get the head and cylinder off but other than that I went straight by the book.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 am
Scooterologist

As far as taking the cooling system apart it is super easy. the hoses are all formed so even if you didn't label them (i did) you would easily see where they go back, the pump is a little tiny thing and comes off/on easily. If you have any mech. skill and can read there really isn't much to it. The biggest problem i have had since getting this scooter and putting parts on is getting crap. I put Pirelli SL26 tires on it and notice a bump or vibration in the front above 30 MPH, went back to the shop thinking maybe it needed balanced, nope the tire had a high spot so it was no good, had to buy another tire and similar result, just smaller so i can deal with it. The 70CC kit came with 2 #2 rings and no #1 ring, it came from somewhere in Europe so waiting again. That is pretty crazy because the ring set is a set and sealed in a seperate package but sure enough someone somewhere messed up. I guess the thing I learned from this is check all your stuff real close before you even begin work. Probably the same thing with 2 stroke parts since they are coming from the same place.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next