View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 2007 Connecting rod recall? 
Newb
Newb

Post 2007 Connecting rod recall?
Somebody near me has a 2007 C3 for sale for a decent price, but I found out that there was a connecting rod recall on about 4000 C3s that year. Is anyone familiar with this recall? Do you think I should be concerned about this scooter? The price is right, but a connecting rod failure on a scooter (which has no means of decoupling the seized engine from the drive wheel in the event of such a failure) is something I don't want to experience.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:40 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: 2007 Connecting rod recall?
well if it was a recall, its easy enough to run the vin to see if it was recalled and or fixed

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

shepherdsflock wrote:
a connecting rod failure on a scooter
(which has no means of decoupling the seized engine from the drive wheel
in the event of such a failure)
is something I don't want to experience.

There's still a clutch. if that's what you think is missing from the scoot vs. motorcycle.

BTW
I'd not heard that anyone mentioned this ... it was before my interested started with scoots.
But, in the past years of this ZForum ... I don't remember that anyone had an issue.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:11 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is the official recall from Yamaha.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/fmc/f ... 8-017R.pdf

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:22 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

BioMedHMC wrote:
shepherdsflock wrote:
a connecting rod failure on a scooter
(which has no means of decoupling the seized engine from the drive wheel
in the event of such a failure)
is something I don't want to experience.

There's still a clutch. if that's what you think is missing from the scoot vs. motorcycle.

BTW
I'd not heard that anyone mentioned this ... it was before my interested started with scoots.
But, in the past years of this ZForum ... I don't remember that anyone had an issue.

i wouldnt trust that clutch to dissnegage right away
i have known a couple of people who seized up and skidded a bit before it started rolling free
heck even with a hand operated clutch a crank failure sucks
my hand hurt for 3 months after the crank failed on the stella even though i grabed it right away i still highsided and got thrown when i had a death grip on the clutch

go ahead and buy it if its a recall scooter and not done yamaha will still fix it for free
just take the vin into the yamaha shop and have them check it for the recall

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:28 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

jmkjr72 wrote:
if its a recall scooter and not done yamaha will still fix it for free
just take the vin into the yamaha shop and have them check it for the recall

That nice of Yamaha, right ?? !!
I thought that you had to be the original owner of the scoot to get it for free.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:31 am
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

if they issue a recall
by law they have to give the repair free to who ever owns the scoot

now if its just a service bulliten then they can elect to do it for free or not so it for free and if just the original owner gets it for free

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]