View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Purchased a 2007 C3 this weekend 
Newb
Newb

Post Purchased a 2007 C3 this weekend
On saturday I purchased a 2007 C3 with 1344 miles on it for $950. I called Yamaha before I made the purchase and had them check the VIN for recall repairs and found that the fuel pump seal and the connecting rod had both been replaced. So, I decided that since the major stuff had been fixed, it was worth the price. I put 40 miles on it yesterday and so far it runs like a champ and I like riding it around town. Pretty fun little scooter. The only modification I want to make to it is to get a luggage rack for the back; and possibly a windshield. Other than that, it's perfect the way it is. It will do the speed limit (at least indicated on the speedometer) on all of the streets between my home and most of the places I go on a regular basis.

One thing that I found took some adjustment was how much engine braking I exprience as I come to a stop. As I roll of the throttle, it decelerates quickly enough just by the engine's compression that I don't have to use the brakes very much. In fact, I had a few corners that I didn't have to brake at all for. Before I rode it for the first time, I was concerned that the drum brakes wouldn't be very powerful, but it turns out I hardly even use them (and they are powerful enough for the quicker stops where you don't have time or room to the let the engine slow you down).

This being my first scooter, it takes a little adjusting to the reactions you get when people you know see you riding a scooter. I rode it to church yesterday and had a guy offer me a ride home; he felt bad for me I guess; he must have thought I was too poor to drive my car or that my car didn't run. I guess its hard for the average person to understand how less can be more. I don't need to use my 3500 lb. car to drive my 170 lb. body around and guzzle fuel at a rate of 21 mpg when its just me by myself not hauling anything. As long as the weather is decent the scooter is all I need to commute from one side of town to the other.

Last edited by shepherdsflock on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:36 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Purchased a 2007 C3 this weekend
Welcome! :q:

I hear you man! Why people insist on using vehicles 200% bigger than what they need confuses me :confused:

I have had a person or two make fun of me but I just tell them how much I spend a week on gas , averages out to about $6 , and they walk away.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

speed you must work close to home
as i use that in a day with my zuma
and even before it was moded i was burning a gallon or more a day

but then again between the 2 scoots i have about 20000 miles and can only ride daily for maybe 6 months out of the year and if im lucky i have 2 more where i can ride a fair amount

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:12 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

I usually ride 20 miles per day. On a rare occasion it is double that.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:12 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

yeah if i just round trip work and dont have to stop any where its 60 miles round trip

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Roswell isn't very big. We were hoping we would be over 50k this last census but we came in at 48k. I live almost exactly 5 miles from work but I have to go there twice a day , so that comes out to 20 miles. If I go and get lunch rather than bring it or go with somebody else that adds a couple of more. If I have any extra errands that also adds a few. There has been a day or two since I got the scoot that I went 50+ miles but very rarely.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

When i was riding my C3 to work everyday (6 miles) I would actually forget when the last time was that I put gas in it. Seemed like I filled up about once a month.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 pm
Newb
Newb

I rode the C3 in to work today. It was pretty cool this morning for mid November. It was about 25 degrees. I put on a balaclava under my helmet, some glove liners inside my gloves, and thermal shirt and underpants, and the ride was pleasant. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride with winter coming, but for now an extra layer of clothes makes for a pretty decent ride to work.

I had a lot of cars passing me. Funny how fast everyone seems to think they need to go. If they'd just leave 5 minutes earlier they could drive the speed limit and save gas. Oh, well, I guess that's how things are in this modern age.

I was happy to find that my lunchbox fit under the seat with a little room to spare, along with my extra set of gloves and a notepad that I carry for fuel mileage and maintenance records.

I'm curious to see what my first tank's fuel milage is.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:40 am
Gold Member
Gold Member

You must have a huge lunchbox if there was only a little room to spare!! I average 131 mpg on mine.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 pm
Forum moderator
Forum moderator

with them killer 2 strokes you still ride the c3

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 pm
Newb
Newb

buguy wrote:
You must have a huge lunchbox if there was only a little room to spare!! I average 131 mpg on mine.

Not too big, it's about 8 inches tall. It would fit better laying on its side, but I had some soup in there today and wanted to store it in an upright position.

131 mpg!!! I hope I can hit a target like that. I'm aiming for 110, so we'll see how it all works out. Once I set a baseline I can start trying to improve. I'm hoping to have it pay for itself in less than two years. I think that's a realistic goal. If fuel prices go up, that will make the payoff even quicker (though I wouldn't complain if they went down!).

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

jmkjr72 wrote:
with them killer 2 strokes you still ride the c3

I sold all of them except the Ape and C3 (and the girls V125). So I have put a few miles on the C3 since getting the Yasuni C21 pipe for the Ape. Turns out the C21 doesnt like soft clutch springs and heavy rollers!! Also sometimes I like to go get a coffee and I have a bad burro cupholder on the C3.

You wont really start seeing the best mileage until there is 2000 miles on the C3, thats about where the rings really start to seat and it begins to be broke in. It is a bit slower off the line than a Zuma, but it is easy to make them go 45 and only costs $25 to do it.

Dont forget to put synthetic in that gear box

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]