View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Should I get a VOX 
Newb
Newb

Post Should I get a VOX
I live in Japan and am considering getting a VOX. But I have a few questions before I purchase it:

1) What is the difference between the Japan VOX and US C3?

2) What type of GY6 engine would work best for a swap (i.e. 125cc, 150cc)?

3) Is it difficult to do the following: Fat tire conversion, front disc conversion, or drop/stretch conversion?

I want to try and build one similar to the Tokyo Parts style bike.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Wed May 29, 2013 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: Should I get a VOX
First off welcome! :q:

As far as I know the C3 and Vox{and Giggle as it is known in Europe} are all the same thing. There may be some small differences but I have no clue what they would be. All the major parts would be the same.

Since you are in Japan you have access to some very nice engines! Here in the US mostly what we have are CRAP Chinese lumps of metal. I would say that any engine built by a Japanese brand or a Taiwanese brand would be good.

Yes and no. If you have good mechanical skills and tools then it would not be that hard. In Japan the parts are easy to get. If you are the average Joe who isn't mechanical then have a shop do it. There are tons of them over there.

Lastly I wil rant a little - WTF! Lowering, stretching and putting big tires on a scoot might look cool but they would make them very hard to ride. The one you mentioned is a pure show scoot. It would be almost impossible to turn, would get worse MPG than a Hummer, be rough as hell and cost 10 times what the base Vox does. I totally do not understand modding to such an extreme. :confused:

This what you are talking about?

Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm
Newb
Newb

Thanks for the welcome and reply. My goals on this project is mostly for show and see how far my custom skills can go. I am inspired by the Tokyo Parts bike and I don't plan on riding this scoot too far. I mainly use my mopeds for that. How do I tell the difference between a good quality motor to a Chinese knock off?

Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Gold Member
Gold Member

A Chinese GY6 would either have no brand casting or very little. The Chinese usually call the GY6 the 152Q and several more letters depending on the exact version. Some Taiwanese brands may also use this numbering system BUT there should be a brand cast or stamped into it. Some good Taiwanese brands are Kymco, SYM, PGO, Adly{Her Chee}, TGB and CPI. There may be other Taiwanese brands that I am not aware of. Of coarse a Honda or Yamaha engine would be a good choice. The Zuma{BWs}/Jog 125 engine is a very good 125cc with lots of parts.

Thu May 30, 2013 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]