View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 New to scooter scene with a C3 
Newb
Newb

Post New to scooter scene with a C3
What's up guys,

Recently got my hands on a 2007 C3 with plenty, I mean plenty of Miles. 36,000 to be exact.

Did a tune up, all looks well. Drove it home from the previous owners house and the overheat light came on.

It came on even after the tune up, but then on a later ride didn't turn on.

With the tune up came a change in the spark plug, change in oil, and addition of coolant since the reservoir was damn near empty. <---fluke or something to be concerned about?

Previous owner also claimed to "put a larger battery because the scooter kills smaller ones" <--- bullsh**??

Anywhos, loving it right now and looking forward to start really playing with it.

Love all the info on the forum

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:56 pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Re: New to scooter scene with a C3
if you get air pockets in the coolant lines it will cause it to overheat if you refilled the tank and it was very low

usually you leave the radiator cap off (not the tank cap) for a few min until the tstat opens
then rev it hard on and off and look for bubbles to go out
then add coolant to the tank and keep an eye on it

On one bike I had put in clear lines and noticed it still had bubbles so I leaned it way over to each side and revved it
that helped move the bubbles out of the lines too

as long as you dont have coolant in the oil
or see steam coming out the exhaust hopefully it was caused by previous owner not keeping the tank full

2010 Zuma 155cc
BWS X Digital Gauges<>Clear Smoke BWS 125 Turn Signal Covers<>Billet Bar Ends<>Front Brake Rotor 260mm<>Razor Cam Covers<>NCY Breather Assembly<>Polini EVO Clutch Bell<>Anodized Orange Dipstick<>RRGS Front and Rear Shocks<>Dual 5000K HID's 35w High/Low Beam<>Black Adjustable Brake levers<>Halo Led's<>TST 2 Stage Variator 9gL 10gS <>NCY Oil Cooler<>Yamaha Skid Plate<>NCY Contra Spring Bearing<>1000 Rpm RRGS Contra Spring<>Yoshimura Exhaust<>NCY Direct Ignition Coil<>Lightweight Cooling Fan<>Koso Cable Clamps<>High Lift Cam+Lightened Cam Sprocket<>Underseat Storage Bag<>Stage 6 (Koso) Clutch<>Accel Handlebars<>Koso Brake Light<>Lightweight Swingarm<>RRGS 4 Pot Caliper (PH80)<>Stainless Braided Brake Line<>Lightened F|ywheel<>OEM Headlight Screens<>Zubiku Wing<>Air Horn<>9 inch stretch<>Koso High Flow Filter/Cover<>RPM 10 Spoke Wheels<>Digital Camo Vinyl Wrap<>SEP Cvt Covers

Image Image Image

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Newb
Newb

Good to know, Thank you for the help!

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:30 am
Scooterologist

I recently had to put a head gasket on because the previous owner of my zuma thought it would be a good idea to run it with no,, NO coolant... Like mike said, as long as no coolant in the oil you should be good to go. Mine didnt steam but i did get the coffee oil of death so i took it apart and had lots of fun.

I hope you like your c3 and everything works out with ya. BTW, with that many miles i would probably look into a new timing chain and check your valves. Unless your sure that the previous owner already did.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:58 pm
Newb
Newb

digriz69 wrote:
ZUMIKE wrote:

Not too sure what was happening, but today after a quick ride I got the over heating light to come on.

I let the scooter sit for a while and I went to check the coolant level and the reservoir was completely dry. So I filled up, opened the radiator and filled her up and started the engine with no rad cap on to let some bubbles out...

As the engine got warmer, the coolant started to show signs of milky residue floating on the top. and then that led my flashlight to cruddy oil underneath the left side of the scooter.
Oil in the Coolant? Head gasket seems to be the culprit here.

What's the cost on repairs, or should I go back to the guy who sold it and flip my sh** for not being told this problem was there.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 pm
Scooterologist

I just did a head gasket on my 2012 because the guy before me abused the old scoot.. I have no idea what it cost for a dealer seeing as i did the job myself. Head gasket cost 6.95 plus a can of copper spray that my brother had handy(no idea how much that cost). If you are going to do the job yourself there are links to C3 manuals somewhere here on this forum and I would recommend getting a good torque wrench. All in all the job took me about 2 hours total but you are going to want to check your head for warping and cracks(usually along the valve seats on this engine, I got lucky and it was just the gasket.
There are lots of utube videos out there to help in figuring out if the head is warped and how to inspect for cracks.

I hope that you get it all figured out and if i were you id probably lose it on the former owner but as you know, buyer beware. I wasnt to put off when finding that mine had a busted gasket because i only paid 125 for it and didnt expect to much.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]